LC9 History, not good

Help Support Ruger Forum:

badaim99

Bearcat
Recently registered, but have been reading forum for a while. Some comments on my experience with LC9 reliabilty. Purchased new Ruger LC9 SN# 320xxxxx in mid October. With apx 150 rounds fired the extractor failed with pieces falling out of the gun. Since it had been less than a week since purchase; took gun back to seller who then forwarded it Ruger. Ruger repaired gun and returned it to me. Since I had planned to use the LC9 as my CCW weapon, my confidence in the gun was badly damaged. Decided to get something else that being a Kahr CW9. That gun has functioned perfectly for some 400 rounds. Have only had LC9 out 2 or 3 times to shoot since repair. While shooting the LC9 recently the gun started exhibiting the light firing pin strike syndrome. Called Ruger and was told " yeah, we had a bad batch of the LC9". Ruger sent me a new slide at no charge, requesting I return the old unit to them in a pre-paid mailer the supplied. Must say Ruger service has been good but the LC9 appears to not be ready for prime-time.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
I had similiar problems with a PT709 I purchased a few years back.Had to send it back to Miami....they replaced the extractor,and did some tuning.I felt like you did when it came back but I put it through it paces and it has been flawless ever since,it is now my wifes CCW as she is deadly accurate with it.My advice is to work with the gun,let Ruger do its thing.If you still don't trust it,sell it and buy more mags for the CW9.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
badaim99 said:
Recently registered, but have been reading forum for a while. Some comments on my experience with LC9 reliabilty. Purchased new Ruger LC9 SN# 320xxxxx in mid October. With apx 150 rounds fired the extractor failed with pieces falling out of the gun. Since it had been less than a week since purchase; took gun back to seller who then forwarded it Ruger. Ruger repaired gun and returned it to me. Since I had planned to use the LC9 as my CCW weapon, my confidence in the gun was badly damaged. Decided to get something else that being a Kahr CW9. That gun has functioned perfectly for some 400 rounds. Have only had LC9 out 2 or 3 times to shoot since repair. While shooting the LC9 recently the gun started exhibiting the light firing pin strike syndrome. Called Ruger and was told " yeah, we had a bad batch of the LC9". Ruger sent me a new slide at no charge, requesting I return the old unit to them in a pre-paid mailer the supplied. Must say Ruger service has been good but the LC9 appears to not be ready for prime-time.
Inclined to agree. I've always purchased S&W handguns since the 80's. Never considered Ruger until the LCP. That replaced my Kel-Tec P 38T. After that I bought an SR9. That replaced my S&W M639. Both great pistols and the SR9 is probably the best all-around semi auto I've ever owned. When the LC9 came out I started setting some cash aside. 2 shooters at my club bought the LC9 the first week they were available here in Connecticut. Both exhibited the odd, once every so often light strike almost immediately. One of the LC9s had extraction problems. Other shooters at my range have complained about the LC9 as well. I have been able to shoot the LC9 and I like it. Just not sure I can trust it. Naturally, ain't gonna buy it. Not yet, anyway. The Ruger forums don't fill me with confidence, either. LC9 topics seem dominated by mechanical problems. Of course there are many LC9s banging away for people with no problems whatsoever.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Bought my LC9 on May 5, 2011 and so far after about 600 rounds it has performed flawlessly. It took a while to get used to the trigger, but now i find it to be near perfect to carry when the weather is warm and the SR40c is hard to conceal. For me it is a great little summer carry pistol.

jimbo50

Bearcat
No problem with mine,its my primary carry.Replaced my revolvers.If you search around you can find people with problems with any handgun.

badaim99

Bearcat
Recieved replacement slide from Ruger to cure the firing pin light strike problem. On old slide the firing pin was so far recessed in slide it couldnt be seen. New slide the end of the firing pin is visible when looking down the channel, it does not protrude. Also, the machining work looks much less coby as compared to old slide. Took LC9 to range this morning, shot apx 140 rounds of ammo. This included Speer HP, Rem FMJ and Win HP. All went well no failures of any kind. One interesting thing, when cleaning gun after shooting with old slide there would be a significant amount of fine brass shavings in the gun. The new slide does not seem to have this problem.
New slide also has staked front sight. Have to say again, that Ruger has been very responsive in fixing the problems I have had with my LC9.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Like S&W, Ruger has outstanding warranty service. When my LCP refused to go into battery after 800+ rounds, Ruger paid the fare for a 3 week trip back home with a new slide and extractor. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
I am looking for a thin summer carry gun bigger then the LCP but thinner than the SR-9. I liked the feel of the LC9, my wife did not . But when I felt the M&P Shield and the Walther PPS l, they both felt more durable then the LC9, it felt like a toy. I would love to shoot one for a week. It was the lighter of the 3 and the lowest price. For that matter anyone UN happy with their LC9 and want to part with it cheap... in TX even better 

revhigh

Hawkeye
You have to realize ... these guns are lightly built ... PLASTIC guns. It's uinrealistic to expect these guns of any manufacturer to hold up like a 1911 or CZ75 or ANY metal pistol. These plastic guns have been getting lighter and lighter and cheaper and cheaper in the last 10 years. Everybody wants a 16 oz 9MM +P++++++ capable gun ... or even worse ... the same gun in a .40 or .45.

Something's gotta give ... and it's usually the cheaply built plastic or MIM parts.

Manufacturers must love it though, because they're making money hand over fist selling these high profit models.

Out of well over 50 guns I have TWO plastic ones, and that's a G26 and a P3AT .... both for carry. I rarely shoot them at all.

If you want a nice high quality gun ... buy METAL.

REV

cluznar

Bearcat
After long deliberation and reading posts about the LC9 I have decided not to get one. I have a SR9c and luv it, but if I want a small gun I will get a pocket .32 or .380, maybe even a .22

I think the LCP is a big hit, the LC9 though not a failure needs more good written about it.

I really like the Bersa Thunder .380 and .32 and as I said the SR9c is excellent. I'll hold off on the LC9

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have a Diamondback DB9 that is very small and absolutely no fun whatsoever to shoot. It does fire every time and probably would be a good SD gun but it isn't anything more than a tool. If you want to enjoy shooting get some decent guns that will be fun to have and take shooting.

badaim99

Bearcat
Did not purchase the LC9 as a range gun but to be my CCW weapon. I recognize the LC9 was never intended to be a high usage gun. Even so, the LC9 must be made to function reliably, so that one can have confidence that it will fulfill its designed roll. I have an M&P pro 9mm for a range; have fun gun. The failures I've experienced with the LC9 do not have to do with the so called "plastic" structures, but with the metal ones. Just for general info, this is not my first Ruger. I have a Blackhawk in 44 magnum and a late model Mini 14. It was my prior good experience with those guns that led me to buy the LC9.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I read post like these on Ruger LC9, LCP, and SR22P and start to feel guilty. I have purchased all these guns in the last year or so and have had excellent results with all of them. LC9 about 1500 rds. LCP about 1000 rds and the SR22P about 2000 rds. I had to polish a small galled spot on my SR22P slide and slide stop and it was okay after that. My LC9 has been flawless in mechcanics and reliability. I do have a Sigarms 225 that takes presidence over the LC9 whenever it can be carried instead but I have no trouble grabbing the LC9 for a reliable carry option.

revhigh

Hawkeye
badaim99 said:
The failures I've experienced with the LC9 do not have to do with the so called "plastic" structures, but with the metal ones.

Not saying they did, but it's the INTERACTION between plastic and metal or MIM metal that wears things. That's why pins fall out ... don't stay in place, and tolerances increase with usage. Not saying Ruger is the only one with these issues. Most plastic guns have the same issues. The only truly durable plastic guns that I've seen are Glocks, and although I have one (the G26) ... I don't like them at all. My P3AT is also solid, but I don't shoot it much.

I've seen M&P's, XD's, KelTecs, HiPoints, and Rugers fall apart at the range ... nothing serious .... just loose pins, loose screws, etc, etc. Never seen ONE issue of any kind with Glocks.

Guns weren't meant to be plastic ... :D

REV

jimbo50

Bearcat
Right and metal guns never break!Steel and aluminum framed guns have been cracking for decades maybe centuries!Plastic framed guns all have metal inserts that connect to the metal slides.Pins and screws come loose on all guns no matter what ther made of.Thats called maintenance keeping those items secure.One thing I know for sure is that plastic doesn't rust.

revhigh

Hawkeye
jimbo50 said:
Right and metal guns never break!Steel and aluminum framed guns have been cracking for decades maybe centuries!Plastic framed guns all have metal inserts that connect to the metal slides.Pins and screws come loose on all guns no matter what ther made of.Thats called maintenance keeping those items secure.One thing I know for sure is that plastic doesn't rust.

I never said metal guns don't break. Pins and screws have never come loose on my guns, but then most of my guns are Colt 1911's and revolvers, CZ autos, and Ruger revolvers. I can't remember one thing coming loose on any of those guns. If you own a lot of S&W's, then you're used to stuff breaking, falling off, and coming loose.

Name a model of an all metal gun that has the persistent issues that these plastic guns have.

REV

jimbo50

Bearcat
Rev,lets be fair.Colt revolvers go out of time,break mainsprings and cz pistols have a lot of fans but a simple search on any forum will find plenty of people with issues. The 1911 has more problems then them all.I don't own any s&w's any more but i had no problems with their revolvers.I own colt revolvers a colt 1911,ruger revolver and the lc9.no problems with any of them including the lc9.I will agree the smaller the gun the harder it is to make it reliable but my lc9,walther tph 22.,and baby browning 25 all run fine.Do you have first hand experience with the lc9? Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

revhigh

Hawkeye
jimbo50 said:
Rev,lets be fair.Colt revolvers go out of time,break mainsprings

Mine never have. I guess I'm just lucky, and I own around 15 of them including 3 Pythons and a bunch of Troopers. None of my Colt 1911's have ever seen a tool ... 2 Gold Cups, some Series 70's, 80's, and 90's.

I shoot them far more than most people and use nothing but top tier 357 loads. Never had an issue. For that matter ... never had an issue with a Ruger revolver or Ruger 22 auto either. Never had an issue with any of a bunch of CZ autos. I buy good guns and properly clean and maintain them.

Ruger centerfire semi-auto's ... now THAT's a different story. Suffice it to say that I don't own any anymore.

Again .... Name a model of an all metal gun that has the persistent quality issues that these plastic guns have (from any company). I'm really just asking facetiously, because it can't be done. The stuff that is mentioned here that goes wrong with these plastic pistols is just plain unacceptable for a self defense weapon, which is what all these plastic fantastic 9's and 40's are primarily sold for.

REV

jimbo50

Bearcat
I'm sorry Rev but I reject your idea that polymer framed rugers or the lc9 in particular have persistant problems.Again...Do you have actual experience? The fact that a few dozen owners post a complaint doesn't add up to persistant against maybe 200,000 owners that have no problems.Actually less than 1% of the owners of lc9's have contacted Ruger for repairs.We are also talking about a new model out for a short time,even the 1911 when it first came out had issues.I get it you don't like plastic!But Glocks,S&W m&P's.xd"s and Ruger Polymer framed autos have a pretty good reputation for reliability out there

revhigh

Hawkeye
jimbo50 said:
I'm sorry Rev but I reject your idea that polymer framed rugers or the lc9 in particular have persistant problems.

Fine ... rejection accepted ... clearly we have different ideas about quality standards for firearms. I can live with that. :D

REV

Latest posts