Laser Accuracy - Overcoming "The Shakes"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Thanks revhigh.

I think I've got the law covered having had training at the NYPD academy, a bit more strict than local law. After spending almost my entire life in NYC I've seen a few street gun fights and they're not always up close and personal especially when gang related. I can tell you, also, the bad guys can be better equipped, they watch the same gun training videos on their iPhones and just need to go a few blocks to refine their 'gangsta' skills at some junk heap for free. Again I'm no expert but I think Manhattan, from London Kentucky, had some practical reasons for using one!

So back to the context of my post - lasers helping to make up for limits in eyesight.

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
If you shoot someone at 13 yards ... they better be shooting at you too, because if they weren't .... and you're lucky enough to hit them .... you're going to jail.

That depends on the state you live in. In Wa. state if there is home breakin it is considered an act of aggression with potential bodily harm and you can shoot at any distance within the home. About 15 yards is my longest length of sight within home. Texas is even WAY more liberal from what I've heard.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
revhigh said:
If you shoot someone at 13 yards ... they better be shooting at you too, because if they weren't .... and you're lucky enough to hit them .... you're going to jail.

That depends on the state you live in. In Wa. state if there is home breakin it is considered an act of aggression with potential bodily harm and you can shoot at any distance within the home. About 15 yards is my longest length of sight within home. Texas is even WAY more liberal from what I've heard.

Right ... I was primarily talking about on the street .... as a civillian !! :D

REV

A

Anonymous

As a civilian you have very little protection for a mistake in judgment made outside your home both legally and civilly. I'm letting my past experience in an urban setting get in the way of thinking that you guys might worried less about street gangs than buglers. I more familiar with the spray & pray (if you could think those punks are capable of prayer) that's more like a spray and who cares!

So I'm thinking about the tactical use of a laser if you're not, in particular, the object of a bad guy's affection.

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Verndog said:
revhigh said:

Right ... I was primarily talking about on the street .... as a civillian !! :D

REV

Well, we don't have to worry about walking the streets here in Seattle, we have SuperHero's taking care of that for us.

http://downtownseattle.komonews.com...uperheroes-help-police-catch-stabbing-suspect

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
he 'learns' his trigger and then doesn't even try to hold the sights on target but trips the trigger at the right point.

This is what I use and suggest. Nobody can hold on target for any real length of time. I also suggest the link below, and I feel that this is what I do...or try to do. It shows what you should see.
Best regards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntB1pFyp3Pc

I shot this target two days ago; is about as good as I can do. Maybe I can win that money off of REV one of these days.

Uh...yeah, it's an old, old Glock, but it's the same procedure.

gen1G17Ltarget.jpg

Sonnytoo

Manhattan

Bearcat
I would call that some pretty good shootin Sonny....
Here is what I think about lasers....this is only my opinion, nothing else.
I would compare a laser on a pistol to a scope on a rifle. If set properly the red dot marks the spot. Some of us older {Myself included}folks can have vision problems.

Bud33

Bearcat
I haven't been here for a long time.
I sign in and the first thing I find is a bunch of insults and personal opinions. NOT A GOOD START :(

As to moving the sights across the target and firing when you reach the middle, sounds like a very good chance that you will jerk the trigger!
Two thoughts./ . . . Get some weights and build some strength in your arm and practice.
I tried a red dot sight a while ago and found that it wiggled all over the target. After some time, I learned to relax and in time you will find that the wiggle will decrease.

surfside006

Bearcat
ConradM said:
So, how is this suppose to help anything? Curious...

Either way I think lasers are a complete waste of time. They're basically a gimmick for people that think their sights aren't enough. I'll probably catch hate for that cause I know there are people here that use them.

But why would you deviate from training with your sights to train with a laser?

Every body has opinion, however your opinion is simply dark ages.
In real life Iron sights are for target shooting.
Lasers are for self defense.
Wow, in my former police training close was point and shoot, what a crock, as soon as I got a laser I tried point and shoot, turned the laser on and 2 feet off target.
In self defense iron sight aiming is stone age.
Laser are what happening now.
To laser shooters, shoot as the dot passes your chosen point not holding it stone steady.
Lasers are 21 century.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
As the OP, I'm qualitifed to say, WOW...this topic sure took off into the land of Smack-Down Cage Fighting ! Glad this forum doesn't have a "Shoot A Member" emoticon function or there'd be bodies everywhere !

So...somebody please be kind enough to remind me every once in a while (PM's are OK) to NEVER POST any topics about alternative ways on "How to Hold a Laser Dot On Target" !!!!! Ha Ha Ha...

:roll:

Haz :::enjoys noting everyone's diverse communication skills:::

Snake45

Hawkeye
surfside006 said:
ConradM said:

Either way I think lasers are a complete waste of time. They're basically a gimmick for people that think their sights aren't enough. I'll probably catch hate for that cause I know there are people here that use them.

Every body has opinion, however your opinion is simply dark ages.
In real life Iron sights are for target shooting.
Wow, in my former police training close was point and shoot, what a crock, as soon as I got a laser I tried point and shoot, turned the laser on and 2 feet off target.
To laser shooters, shoot as the dot passes your chosen point not holding it stone steady.
Lasers are 21 century.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snake45 said:
Surside006 said:

Lasers are 21 century.

LOL .... c'mon Snake ... don't you live in the 21st century ??? :D

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
Snake45 said:
Surside006 said:

Lasers are 21 century.

LOL .... c'mon Snake ... don't you live in the 21st century ??? :D

REV
Yes, but almost all my guns were made in the 20th. In fact, the vast majority of my guns were in production before I graduated high school in 1972. A great number of them were actually made before 1972. And I don't consider a single one of them to be "antiques." :wink:

surfside006

Bearcat
ConradM said:

Conrad,
I see from your newer post,that your opinion of Laser sights have changed?
In my opinion Iron Sights are great just as a MODEL "T" was great.
Laser sights are so much better than Iron sights,that no comparison is possible. Yes I was unsure? but April 2011 purchased my first Laser Max Micro rail, now I own 10 laser sights, 5 Crimson Trace Grips,3 Laser Max Micro, and 1 Center fire on my Ruger LC9,1 insight on My S&W BG 380.
My first eye opener was when I tried my Police academy training close combat point and shoot, 2 feet off when I turned the Laser on.
Next at the Range,I can shoot from the hip,stomach,one arm,two arms, any way I choose. Target acquisition in a conflict is instantaneous.
Let the Die Hard Iron sights, and 1911 cocked and locked believe what they choose. On holding the laser steady, get real the laser accentuates the bullet actual strike area, I have a LC9 now matter how steady I hold,when the trigger breaks, the laser jumps about 4 inches, no way to get around that,maybe aim 4 inches higher?
My LC9 stays on a 8 inch target at 21 feet,however my Beretta PX4 single action, stays on the 3 inch bulls eye, DAO sucks but in self defense it makes no difference especially with a Laser Sight. Poor eye sight no problem,simply get laser sight. Laser Sights are where its at,If you believe other wise? I hear there a bridge for sale in Brooklyn? Laser Sights Rock,21 century.

wingman

Single-Sixer
Well put surfside. Most haters have never experienced using a laser but insist they are no good. The jokes on them. :p

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
Gun enthusiasts who don't like Laser Sights are in all likelihood Lady GaGa or Pee Wee Herman Fans !

Haz :::Likes lasers cause he's a Mighty Mouse fan who almost regrets starting this thread::: lol

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Haz, don't regret the thread at all.

Those that don't agree with each other, just don't agree.

I would always stress shooting guns a lot more over decorating them.

...but that's just me.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Hazama Yakiba said:
Gun enthusiasts who don't like Laser Sights are in all likelihood Lady GaGa or Pee Wee Herman Fans !
I don't like laser sights and happen to be a Gaga fan. I don't see any correlation. In fact, I'll bet you'd find more laser sight fans who ARE Gaga fans than irons sight fans (age/youth probably being a significant factor for both).

I've learned to never trust my life to anything that runs on electricity, especially on batteries. You do what you want. My iron sights will always be there. :wink:

Verndog

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
I've learned to never trust my life to anything that runs on electricity, especially on batteries.

Batteries are far more predictable AND reliable then humans, you just have to understand their limits and CHECK them (also like humans). Every day you drive your car or a million other things your fate is in the hands of electricity.

labhound

Bearcat
I yet to read a thread on any forum concerning lasers that didn't turn out like this one. You know if you like lasers, use them, if you don't like them, don't use them. That's about all I've ever managed to get out of these threads. I've got guns with and without lasers. My home defense .45 I like a laser on, my carry guns I don't want them on. To each his own!