Large Ruger Collection for Sale.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Hello all,
Long time lurker here.
I have been looking to sell a large Ruger collection that I inherited about 15 years ago. The collection belonged to my grandfather, D.K. Hummel, who was a RCA field representative and avid collector of Ruger Stainless single and double action revolvers. 99% of the 60 or so guns that I am looking to sell are unfired, unturned and new in the box, with both box and shipping sleeve as well as owner's manual and in some cases original internal packing. Some have letters from RCA and/ or Ruger "lettering" them and other provenance papers, receipts, etc…. I also have a complete collection of ten unfired United Sporting Arms/ Seville stainless guns that all have a matching low single digit serial number and are similarly boxed and lettered that are part of the collection. I am holding on to a small portion of the guns for sentimental reasons.
This collection won many, many, many awards in the 1980's and 90's and is, in my opinion, probably the finest collection of Stainless Steel Rugers in existence. Included are consecutives, liberty models, consecutive liberties, all variations of speed six, security six, old army, single six, Blackhawk and special edition cased/ engraved models. Some are very, very rare in odd configurations and calibers.
I know from going through old papers and putting 2 and 2 together with the information on this forum as to who is who and that some of you knew my grandfather from back in the day and probably have a decent idea of what is in the collection.
Due to the current political climate regarding firearms and my own living circumstances I have decided that it is long past the time to sell these. I have been toying around with the best way to sell these, looking at values vs. convenience and what not, and if I can reach a fair price for them, I don't have a problem selling them individually or in bulk lots to members of this forum rather than using gun broker or an auction house, but I am going to most likely be auctioning them off this fall if I cannot sell them here. Ideally, one big buyer in cash would be preferred for the entire collection :lol:
I do not want to post the serial numbers and other details online, but will respond to PM's or emails with a complete list upon request.
I also have some papers, factory brochures, owner's manuals and other misc. merchandise that I will be selling. I will try and assemble a list of these items if there is interest.
Due to my living circumstances here in Comrade Cuomo's People's Republic of New York I am not able to take pictures or ship any items until this fall. These guns are located out of state and I will be doing a photo/ packaging session most likely early this fall when I can get to my storage facility. I can then arrange to have the items shipped either from a FFL at your cost or I can ship them personally Fed Ex or UPS overnight at your cost if your FFL will accept such a transfer. I am very easy to work with, it may just take me some time. Please check my feedback rating on EBay (username: jsesquire) and GunBroker (username: jgsesquire). Also, I'm sure that Coogs will vouch that this is a legitimate offer and that I am who I am 8) As I have been in touch with him about selling these a few times.

I figured this would be the best section to post in, but moderators please feel free to move it if not.
Thanks.
JON

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Jon,

Welcome, and I do recall reading your grandfather's name. I joined the old RCA in 1983 and it would have been through their publications and possibly early books like H. Lueders.

Sounds like a truly outstanding collection!

If and when it comes down to individual sales, I would think a list of models, condition, and serial numbers that you could e-mail to prospective buyers would be extremely useful.

Best of luck with sale.

SATCOM

6gun

Hunter
Why in the world would you want to sale such a collection? :shock: hang on to it and enjoy it, pass them down to your kids, move out of NY if you have to, I thought 6 round revolvers were still legal there? :?

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
GLAD TO SEE YOU HERE WITH US! I FIELD REP'D WITH DK "BACK THEN' AND ENJOYED HIS COMPANY. THOUGHT YOUR POST AND INFORMATION THOUGHTFULLY DONE AND OFFERED. SENT YOU A PM. I AM CONFIDENT THAT FORUM MEMBERS APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE SHARED AND WILL OFFER FOR THEIR CONSIDERATION. ALL THE BEST, 8) MIKE

rugerstainless

Bearcat
6gun said:
Why in the world would you want to sale such a collection? :shock: hang on to it and enjoy it, pass them down to your kids, move out of NY if you have to, I thought 6 round revolvers were still legal there? :?

Yes the revolvers are still legal here for now, the problem is that each gun here must be on your carry permit and I would pay fees and shipping, etc to put each one on. At some point it becomes economically unreasonable. Also, eventually the judge will deny you from adding on more (especially in my county) as they consider you to have an "arsenal" or some such nonsense (a recent denial up here was based upon the judge's thinking that no person needed to carry 20 guns at once! As if you carry your collection all the time.....). I could go on and on about this.....

The collection does me no good in storage, mostly just headaches due to theft worries, insurance and damage. Trust me, I have retained enough (and still accumulate :D ) enough guns to pass along, some were pulled from the collection for that purpose, especially the ones that I had fond memories of as a child in my grandfather's shop. Unfortunately and sadly in the last few years it has been more of a burden than I think anyone would have anticipated.

Terry T

Buckeye
I have an interest in the stainless double action Six series, particularly if there are any fixed sight low backs. Also looking for other unusual double action fixed sight six series.
Sorry to hear of your situation. We may all be in a similar fix, eventually.

I would suggest that you have a 'Certificate of Authenticity' printed up showing each piece as having come from D.K. Hummel's collection. Would include the model and Ser. No. It would mean a lot to we Ruger collectors. They did a certification when the Skeeter collection was sold. Adds something to the piece, I think.

Terry T

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Terry T said:
I have an interest in the stainless double action Six series, particularly if there are any fixed sight low backs. Also looking for other unusual double action fixed sight six series.
Sorry to hear of your situation. We may all be in a similar fix, eventually.

I would suggest that you have a 'Certificate of Authenticity' printed up show each piece as having come from D.K. Hummel's collection. Would mean a lot to we Ruger collectors.
Terry T
Hi Terry,

If you can PM me your email, I can send you a spreadsheet. I'm not sure if you can tell if they are low-backs or not from the info I have on there, but I can help out as I can. I could easily send a letter "Certificate of Authenticity" with each gun and include all the details that I know of each one if that would help you guys out. I had intended to include any receipts, etc. that I have for each one, most of that information is included on the spreadsheet.

Thanks!

street

Hunter
Hi! I met your father years ago at the Ruger theme shows at Monroevill, PA. At the time your Father had just about every Stainless Steel Revolver that Ruger ever made. He won first place at these shows more then once. It was a great collection as he would beat out collectors with Old Model Rugers. I ended up buying a nice 6 1/2 in. .357 Flattop that was mint in the box for a very good price. I also bought a like new in the box Ruger Brass Frame. I kept them all of these years until I started selling off my collection a few years ago. Your father was a class act and I really enjoyed meeting him. Good luck with your sale.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Sorry to hear about your family's loss. I definitely remember reading D.K.Hummel's "words".

Ruger Forum's acceptable procedure is to price any item listed for sale. Of course, what ever you do "off line" is none of Ruger Forum's business.

flatgate

6gun

Hunter
rugerstainless said:
6gun said:

Yes the revolvers are still legal here for now, the problem is that each gun here must be on your carry permit and I would pay fees and shipping, etc to put each one on. At some point it becomes economically unreasonable. Also, eventually the judge will deny you from adding on more (especially in my county) as they consider you to have an "arsenal" or some such nonsense (a recent denial up here was based upon the judge's thinking that no person needed to carry 20 guns at once! As if you carry your collection all the time.....). I could go on and on about this.....

The collection does me no good in storage, mostly just headaches due to theft worries, insurance and damage. Trust me, I have retained enough (and still accumulate :D ) enough guns to pass along, some were pulled from the collection for that purpose, especially the ones that I had fond memories of as a child in my grandfather's shop. Unfortunately and sadly in the last few years it has been more of a burden than I think anyone would have anticipated.

Wow had no idea you needed a carry licence for each gun, makes me feel bad to see you have to sell your family heirlooms, I know all the collectors love the chance to get some of them, to bad they couldn't be put in a museum or something for all ruger lovers to enjoy seeing instead of being sold off to private collectors where only a few will ever enjoy them, I know it's none of my business, just like to see Ruger history like this shared with all.

Terry T

Buckeye
6gun,
Sad to say, most museums won't commit to never selling the donations. The best way for these to be shown is by some of the forum members who regularly put their displays out at the Ruger shows.
Terry T

rugerstainless

Bearcat
BlkHawk73 said:
Would this all be strictly firearms or is there "stuff" as well? (memorabilia)

Hi,
I have some "stuff" but nothing great such as Ruger Drills, cups, etc...
I need to make a list, but it is mostly letters between my grandfather and reps at the RCA, some press releases for new guns from Ruger, old articles from magazines (lots of original clippings from newspaper advertisements for the Mark I .22 pistol), factory / dealer price sheets, older catalogs from the 1990's and some from the 80's.
I think the nicest item is a presentation press kit for the Ruger Over Under 20 g shotgun when it was released, it comes in a nice color folder and is in really good condition.
I have an RCA pin and a Ruger pin, and an RCA cast pewter looking emblem. Other than that, not much.

If there is any specific interest I can take some pictures. Please let me know.

rugerstainless

Bearcat
flatgate said:
Sorry to hear about your family's loss. I definitely remember reading D.K.Hummel's "words".

Ruger Forum's acceptable procedure is to price any item listed for sale. Of course, what ever you do "off line" is none of Ruger Forum's business.

flatgate

Flatgate,

Thank you for your kind words. Thanks for letting me know the procedure. I will be sure not to violate the forum policy and will do everything off line. I just don't want to publish anything openly that has too much detail for obvious reasons.
Thank you.

rugerstainless

Bearcat
street said:
Hi! I met your father years ago at the Ruger theme shows at Monroevill, PA. At the time your Father had just about every Stainless Steel Revolver that Ruger ever made. He won first place at these shows more then once. It was a great collection as he would beat out collectors with Old Model Rugers. I ended up buying a nice 6 1/2 in. .357 Flattop that was mint in the box for a very good price. I also bought a like new in the box Ruger Brass Frame. I kept them all of these years until I started selling off my collection a few years ago. Your father was a class act and I really enjoyed meeting him. Good luck with your sale.

Street,

Thanks for your kind words. The response that I have gotten from people who knew my grandfather and are now on this forum is remarkable. If only DK would have been around for the internet age! I'm sure that it has changed the collecting business.

Greetings, Jon, , and not sure if it's your Mom, or Dad who is the 'kin' met them some time back at the shows of course, my wife Laura also 'was a field rep along with DK< and somewhere, there is a movie ( VHS) of them at the RCA dinner over in Indiana,not sure who has their hands on it to this day.........long ago, we passed on the full auto he had,wish I had it today...yikes!! Brings back memories.
best of luck to you, with the sale, and let us know if we can be of any help............

Dan & Laura

rugerstainless

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
Greetings, Jon, , and not sure if it's your Mom, or Dad who is the 'kin' met them some time back at the shows of course, my wife Laura also 'was a field rep along with DK< and somewhere, there is a movie ( VHS) of them at the RCA dinner over in Indiana,not sure who has their hands on it to this day.........long ago, we passed on the full auto he had,wish I had it today...yikes!! Brings back memories.
best of luck to you, with the sale, and let us know if we can be of any help............

Dan & Laura

Thanks Dan, my mom is DK's daughter and he also had a son, my uncle Dave, who is still running the shop.
That must have been from the mid 80's when he still had the class III dealership.
I don't think that I have any videos of shows though, if you find it I would love a copy.

Thanks