Large Ruger Collection for Sale.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yessir, that brings us back up to speed, Uncle Dave ( DKs son) is the one we'd see at many of the shows.especially over here in Ohio , close to the border...as to the 'video' it was from the Richmond,Indiana RCA "theme" show and my guess is that Dave may have it still. ask him next time you see him.....again, best of luck to you, and maybe we will get to 'see/meet' you in the near future,,,,heck if you want, in October, there will be an Ohio Gun collectors show, back at the I-X Center in Cleveland at the airport..let us know and you can be my guest , and get in..........................as for the video, if you ever saw it you'd KNOW, grandpa was in "rare" form....... 8) :roll: :wink:

Coogs

Maximum
Dan, you musta had a little too much "tea" that weekend in Richmond. :shock: :shock: DK came over with Pat Welch, me and my father that weekend. Don't ya remember the 16' cargo trailer with my name all over it that we loaded up? Went to Richmond, the Bill Goodman shows in Louisville, Detroit, at the Light Guard armory on 8 Mile RD. and the PGCA show in Monroeville. Those were all there were back then, unless ya managed Tulsa. And by the way, when WASN"T DK in rare form :shock: :shock: Oh, by the way, maybe it was lack of "tea" :roll: :roll: Love ya Dan, Coogs.

sorry to say, I was NOT there that weekend, Laura put that show on with the promoter, Ed Brink...I recall Dave Young helped her out, and yes, DK was a stickler when it came time for any "tea", he got upset when Laura let my son have a bit of "beer" at dinner, said "No underage drinking"....!!! he was a true gentleman though, and we liked him...heck only DK, and YOU , were the ones who set up or displayed ANY "new models"....gotta remember back THEN, Doris Campbell and I were NOT "collectors" ,we were there with our "spouses"... 8) :roll:

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Hah!
Let me look through the "files" tonight....I think I recall a letter that may shed some light on this "tea"!

contender

Ruger Guru
Jon,
I will say I can understand your position & the whys of selling such fine guns.
I had heard of DK,, but never had the pleasure.
I too would like a "list" when you get it together & have the time.
History should be preserved and shared. Looks like you are trying hard to do just that.

Coogs

Maximum
I think the first time we did the Light Guard Armory was ''87, may have been '86. The last one I went to there, with DK and Pat in tow was 1990. I'm not sure if they went there the next year or not. We would get there Thursday night, everything loaded in a 16' cargo trailer, got a hotel room on the first floor, backed the trailer right up to the door of the room, unhitch and back the truck tight up against the side door. Then I slept, well tried to, with a '97 trench gun, just in case. Had to love Detroit! :shock: :shock: Coogs.

Yessir, that was the 'midwest" (north /south connection, Goodmans shows) Louisville, Dayton, and Detroit...the local RCA "powers to be", kissed his butt, too much to go into here, besides, water under the bridge.....
this was opposed to the Pa, Monroeville shows done through the Penna.Gun Coolectors, (PGCA) when Jeff M was their 'legal counsel' ..now THAT was the venue, and good turnouts...DK, Jeff M, Bill W. ( 10/22 fame) awesome shows, well done, and FAIR and SQUARE !!! As I said , I , along with Doris Campbell were "spectaters" ,so sat back and watched ALL the "goings on...Early in the 1990s. Laura tried to get some others started, the Richmond, Ind show and then the Shotgun News, Cleveland ,I-X Center............BUT<, after Steve Vogels "passing", then the RCA kinda "dropped off" the face of the earth, and that is our "history" class for the day, boys AND girls..............
Today, hopefully, the current crew can get things turned around, they sure are trying, Harrisburg,PA, Tulsa, and the FAR, FAR "west coast" seem to be the only games in town...........

Again, GOOD luck Jon !!

contender

Ruger Guru
All good info Dan. You only left out the hard work & efforts of the Harrisburg Pa bunch! (From a latecomer who didn't do all the shows mentioned above. I only go back as far as Nashville Tn with Bob!

Thanks Ty, I was on my first cup of java, when I typed that and as I did , I "seemed" I forgot 'something...oh well to make up for it, I will put a picture here of our DK and many of the early ones, most, if not all of you may have NEVER seen this picture.................
DK is just right of center, next to Nancy....................
picture came out pretty BIG< so click on and "zoom out" !!!!!!

now boys and girls, that's something to "think " about....Jon, do you have this one??

Wow, fascinating back-story.

We lived in Warren, MI, (12-mile @ Mound) in 1986/88 and attended the LGA shows. As hinted, that was an "interesting" venue. ;) ;) ;)

Then moved to Kentucky, and attended the shows in Louisville and Dayton (and Cincy for a while) as well as the Lexington shows. Then Dan got me hooked on the OGCA outfit.

Very interesting from the standpoint of an amateur Rugerphile.

:)

Can you guys put names to the photo?

rugerstainless

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
Thanks Ty, I was on my first cup of java, when I typed that and as I did , I "seemed" I forgot 'something...oh well to make up for it, I will put a picture here of our DK and many of the early ones, most, if not all of you may have NEVER seen this picture.................
DK is just right of center, next to Nancy....................

now boys and girls, that's something to "think " about....Jon, do you have this one??

Funny enough, I was just going to post this one and a few others that I have tonight. My parents and I were going through the RCA album a month or so ago trying to ID people.

I just signed up for photobucket and I'll give the posting pics thing a rip.....

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Here goes...I did find this letter in an old folder that I think outlines the "important RCA business" that may have been conducted at these shows....lol

radicalrod

Hunter
So it appears we are just following "tradition" at the latest RUGER get together's :lol: :lol: :lol:

Though I have never seen that much "VARIETY" of refreshment choice :wink: :wink: :wink:

Appears today we have almost ZERO interest from the factory and only a few percentage points higher from the "RCA"....The promoter at Harrisburg has been very receptive of the "RUGER GUYS" the last 5 years....I think his CASH AWARDS are as much as the TULSA SHOW even with 3500 fewer tables :!: :!: :!:

What we REALLY NEED is NEW BLOOD.....same guys doing all the work things get stale....

We need to encourage new displayers to come out and join the fun.....it really isn't that big a deal....it just takes some time and energy....heck if I can do it anyone can :roll: :roll: :roll: a well thought out display doesn't need 50 guns....imagination is the key....

I always hear people calling others "BIG DOGS" well get off the porch and come run with the pack....most of us are OLD and can't run very fast anyways :eek: :eek: :eek: but we do like to have FUN.....isn't this what it is all about.....let's not try and relive the PAST...let's make some NEW RUGER HISTORY .....JMO....RR.

Coogs

Maximum
Lets see, I see Jeff Munnel, Nancy Padau, Ya can barely see Steve Vogel's head behind Nancy, of course DK.......I recognize most of the other faces.....just can't come up with the names. Anybody recognize that Ruger eagle? I think it had some shootin' #1's on it last years Harrisburg show!! :shock: :shock: Coogs.

street

Hunter
Coogs said:
Lets see, I see Jeff Munnel, Nancy Padau, Ya can barely see Steve Vogel's head behind Nancy, of course DK.......I recognize most of the other faces.....just can't come up with the names. Anybody recognize that Ruger eagle? I think it had some shootin' #1's on it last years Harrisburg show!! :shock: :shock: Coogs.
I think the person that is on the left is Fred Fischer, 3rd from the left is Steve Vogel, 4th from left is Mike Shepherd I think, not sure on him. 6 from the left is Bill Hall, Jeff Munnel is standing behind Nancy, you can only see part of his face, the last person on the right is Bill Workman, he wrote the book on the 10-22s. He won 1st place with his collection of 10-22 at the Monroeville, PA Ruger Show in the late 80s or early 90s. I know some of the others but don't know their names.

street

Hunter
Coogs said:
I'm in the same boat, it's hell to get old, ain't it street? :shock: :shock: Coogs.
Coogs!!! It's better then the alternative of not getting old!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: