Large Ruger Collection for Sale.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coogs and street, you are 'close", no idea on #2 , #3 Steve V, #4 Wayne Shepard, old army collector, then "young" master Hall, then Mrs Hummel, ,Jeff M behind her, then Nancy Padua, no clue on the big dude in the back, DK, of course, then I'm guessing Kerm Lusk, Roland Kirsch, Bill Repp from over here, in Ohio, and finally Bill Workman...........fine upstanding bunch of "memorabilia-ites"....LOTSA 'history' there................

street

Hunter
I was close on Wayne Shepard, I just had the first name wrong. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: At one time he had just about a complete collection of Old Armys and I think Jeff Munnell ended up with them. Don't know if he still has them or not.

rugerstainless

Bearcat
OK folks,

I took some pictures of pictures from album last night. Anyone know who the man in the elvis shirt (the 80's were a strange time) giving an award to him? I think this may have been in Indiana:

rugerstainless

Bearcat
Here is one of the original display with DK and Jerry Peters, a good friend of the family who just passed away last year.

contender

Ruger Guru
Now this is wonderful history of Ruger collecting.
I think the 4 rifle display above are 10/22's. AND unless I'm mistaken, it may be one of the earliest displays I ever saw,, by Bill Hamm. I saw his display at a show in Tn, and it wasn't a RCA show. But,, it impressed me to become a Ruger collector.

Radical Rod is SPOT ON about getting more folks involved! His last post is excellent!

Well, y'all got me started and I did bring the Single Barrel JD with me (as I will again for the 2014 Harrisurg show).

The wife and I had a great time, new displayers shouldn't worry so much about their first display but just get the guns out so people can see them and you can talk about them.

I'm going to be getting a few of the Six series guns he has so they will probably be on display (I'm modifying my display - sort of).

radicalrod

Hunter
Well there ya go....a first time guy that had fun and already looking forward to next year.....

I will be the first to tell you that you put more pressure on yourself than anyone of the other displayers will....

YES you want to not embarrass yourself but don't worry COOGS will be there to distract the onlookers.....

Don't worry Jack we all still love ya....RR.

I am going to try again to get to H'burg next year with a display of some sort - just need to get started on it.

A question for you seasoned veterans: something I have been considering is to set up a display at a LGS - something simple with the intent of getting passersby intrigued/interested in collecting. Developing a starter display for something like H'burg is one idea which then can be modified/improved. Anyone else do this type of thing at a LGS or have ideas on it? I know Cruzerlou is thinking about it with his JC Higgins shotguns at his LGS and it just sounds like a great idea. Appreciate any experience/comments. Thanks.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Cellar701",
Some thoughts on displaying at LGS.
Local gun shows are a little different - folks have begun to expect the 'flea market / bazar'. By the way, the 'bazar' or local market is a centuries old tradition. Nothing wrong with that.
However, we collectors would all like to put the 'show' back in 'gun show'.

Most shows require that guns be secured and I think it's a most excellent idea. Too many folks with 'sticky fingers' these days, sad to say.
In the same vain, I would caution about having anything that would lead folks to your home address such as business cards or even your full name. Business cards can have an e-mail address or P.O. box but even a land line phone number can be easily reverse indexed. As much as the 'Gun Show Loophole" is a myth, some low lifes do come around the shows to either pick up something without the background check they know they can't pass or to move along 'hot' stuff. Be wise.

Some show promoters will give a reduced cost or even free table if you are showing and not selling. I would suggest having a discussion with the promoter before committing. Just explain what your intent is. Most are open minded to ideas that will increase their gate.

Displays should be eye catching and clearly marked as 'Display Only'. Folks are expecting stuff to be for sale and can be disappointed until they get used to the idea of displays. Always takes a couple or three shows to change the expectations. After a couple or three shows, folks will begin to seek you out and even bring stuff to you. :D

Some shows have limits on how high a display can be but a good backdrop can be seen across the room. A wall table works best for displays. Some shows will put the displays along the outer walls for that reason.

By the way, I've stopped doing shows in my own town out of security concerns. I prefer to go further afield. Haven't had any trouble but I don't want to push my luck, either. Just too many folks out of work and / or indulging in drugs to dull the pain of failed expectations in my area.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

flattop44

Buckeye
You all need to come on down to Dallas, the show is only about 1 month away. It is a great venue, 2000 are so tables.
We have 10 or 11 Ruger displays signed up, we need more. A great opportunity to meet other collectors and have fun!!
FT44

Terry T

Buckeye
"Flattop44"
Love to - let's see, at least 3 days on the road each way, 3 days there. Not this year but .... :D
We'll put it on the list of shows to consider.
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
url=http://s808.photobucket.com/user/rugerdan/media/EARLYRCAgroup_zps08b3859c.jpg.html]
EARLYRCAgroup_zps08b3859c.jpg
[/url].................

Some of you got some of them, but I can add a few more...just gotta start from right to left...
Fred Fischer, Mike Johnston, Steve Vogel, Wayne Shepherd, ?, Bill Hall, Cookie Ross?, Jeff Munnell peeking from behind the older lady, Nancy Padua, ?, D. K. Hummell, Kerm Lusk, ? , Neil Bennett, Bill Repp, Bill Workman.
Chet15

Mike and the old guy in front we did not recognize, and I bet that red eagle cut out on the left, was the one that ended up in Pat Welches Super Blackhawk display years ago........brings back some good memories,Wayne S and Bill W., we have lost complete track of, though I did talk with Bills wife some time back......nothing Ruger anymore, and was teaching photography in an adult education class down in Florida.............

Coogs

Maximum
Just like you Dan, I am also having a case of CRS :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I recognize everyone in the pic's, just can't put names to some. And yes those Eagles did have some of Pat Welch's collection one them at one time, last year @ Harrisburg they had some "Shootin' No. 1's" on them from yours truely! I've got a bunch a pic's around here also, from the 80's, I share them, that is if I can figure out how to load 'em, Coogs.