Just joined and have a ? Or 2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Steve55

Bearcat
I guess I'm going into my 2nd childhood, always been a fisherman, not a hunter or shooter. So I just bought a SR22 and really love it. But I find myself wanting either a Single 6, 10 or SP 101 in 22 LR. Have a Taurus 357 on my night stand. Going to have to wait until I save up some more mad money. Sure like the looks of the "cowboy" gun but don't know about SA and the loading and unloading. I have been reading here and other places about how accurate the SA guns are, I'm sure more so than I am. I did get to handle a 6 and 10 today but not a SP 101. So what are your thoughts for a novice.

wwb

Hunter
WARNING!!!! My personal bias may affect the following advice.

Get a Super Single Six convertible and never look back. (and get a 3-screw if you can find a deal on one) The loading and unloading of a single action is part of the mystique.... no frantic rush to throw as many rounds downrange as possible, but making each shot count.

E

Single-Sixer
I'll second wwb's opinion. SP101's are really nice revolvers, but the Single Six is more fun for me, and with some practice, you can load and unload pretty quickly. Also, with the heavier double action pulls in most rimfire revolvers, I end up cocking the hammer to go single action anyway... which defeats the purpose of a double action.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the forum!
I second the notion that you should get a Single-Six convertable. Especially an Old Model. Once you try one,,, you'll understand why.

Steve55

Bearcat
madd-trapper said:
Get a Bearcat.

OK, what is your thinking behind that? I did look at one at the local shop while looking at the 6 & 10 and it just didn't feel quite as good as the 10 to me plus I really liked the sights on the 10, need all the help these old eyes can get but I am open to other ideas.

VA Shooter

Single-Sixer
I have the Single six convertible and the Single Ten, I'm happy with both. I too like the sights on the single Ten. Just buy one at a time and eventualy you will have a mess of Rugers. Welcom to the forum

louiethelump

Buckeye
My first handgun was a 5.5" Single six new model when they first came out. It was a great gun, and then I got into target shooting (Bullseye) and it got traded off. Then I went into police work and went a few years without a Single Six until I made enough money to feed the kids and buy another one. Have not been without a single six since.

Right now I have a Single Ten 4 5/8", Single 6 4 5/8" fixed sight 50th anniversary, one of the all stainless birdshead convertibles that came with the horrid white grips and 3 3/4" barrels and fixed sights, a standard blue 4 5/8" convertible, a 5.5" fixed sight blue convertible, and a 22 magnum only one I just picked up. ALL great guns!

If you get a single six or a single ten (if you are SURE you will never use or need 22 magnum) you will not regret it. I bought one of the new 22 SP101 4" when they came out and did not like it and have sold it off. Go with the single six or ten and you will have a lifetime of shooting pleasure. Nothing better for a 22 than that.

I also have a Bearcat, and while it is neat and cute and shoots great, it sits in the safe while I shoot and use the single series guns.

Just my two cents

Stoots

Buckeye
wwb said:
WARNING!!!! My personal bias may affect the following advice.

Get a Super Single Six convertible and never look back. (and get a 3-screw if you can find a deal on one) The loading and unloading of a single action is part of the mystique.... no frantic rush to throw as many rounds downrange as possible, but making each shot count.

Agree!

:D

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:D When I go to the range no matter how many guns I bring the Single-Six seems to get shot the most. It's also the gun fellow shooters (male and female) seem to want to try first. Once you get into the groove of reloading a single action it is very relaxing. Now if Ruger only made a Western style .22 lever gun! Just have to make do with my Marlin 39.
Cape Cod Terry :D

RugerHound

Hunter
You absolutely can't go wrong with an old model Single Six unless it's been sawed in half & welded back together again! ;) But as others have said, Rugeritus often begins with a Single Six! Then a Super Single Six is next... then a New Model Single Six... Then a New Model Fixed Sight Single Six... Then someone will have a .32 H&R Magnum Single Six, and you go through the whole cycle again. And you can see where this is gonna end up!

Before you know it, you're looking on line at gun safes 'cause you got all these stupid guns that you bought...

See how it works? ;)

RugerHound said:
You absolutely can't go wrong with an old model Single Six unless it's been sawed in half & welded back together again! ;) But as others have said, Rugeritus often begins with a Single Six! Then a Super Single Six is next... then a New Model Single Six... Then a New Model Fixed Sight Single Six... Then someone will have a .32 H&R Magnum Single Six, and you go through the whole cycle again. And you can see where this is gonna end up!

Before you know it, you're looking on line at gun safes 'cause you got all these stupid guns that you bought...

See how it works? ;)

:D :D :D Hi My Name is Steve & I have Ruger Problem! +1 :lol: 8) :roll:

eveled

Hawkeye
Everybody should own a single six of some sort. As American as apple pie. Closely followed by the mkII series.

I own a single six and will be the odd man out here. Not even close to my favorite handgun. the accurancy is not good on it in either 22lr or the 22mags.... on top of that is a pain to load and unload those iddy biddy bullets....

single action is meant for a larger caliber... get a 45lc.

I'd save up for either an SR22 rifle or a 10/22.....

don44

Hunter
I have a single six and it is very accurate with both cylinders. I like mine a lot, love to shoot it!

Pal Val

Buckeye
I have a Single Six Hunter that goes with me to the range every time. It's fun to shoot, accurate (more with .22 Mag than .22 LR), and has just the right balance for my liking. Just my $0.02 worth.

americal

Hunter
contender said:
Welcome to the forum!
I second the notion that you should get a Single-Six convertable. Especially an Old Model. Once you try one,,, you'll understand why.
Ty is right :!: :!:
re16.jpg

cmacrph

Bearcat
If you are even a little bit like most of us---as long as it has RUGER stamped, rolled, laser engraved, or etched on it somewhere, you will like it and have to find several more of them.

Latest posts