Joining the 30 Carbine club

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have an Old Model Blackhawk in 30 Carbine heading my way! 7.5" barrel and not converted. Bought 200 rounds of Prvi FMJ ammo to try it out. I have a set of dies for it but I don't know if they are complete. Most die sets I see have 3 dies and this one has 2. The weird thing is, the sizing/decapping stem also has a belling flare built into it. The die will resize a fired brass and put a bell at the case mouth yet the case will exit the die with out the bell being sized back down. I have played around with the die some and loaded some dummy rounds. The .308 110 grain bullets fit good and snug. I haven't check the seater die to see if it is a roll or taper crimp yet. The dies have no maker or brand on them, only the 30 carbine designation. The sizer is not carbide. Anyway , I have been wanting to expand my OM's and this was a caliber that I didn't have. I can't wait for it to get here so I can go make some noise!! :shock:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
.30 Carbine is a tapered round, not straight walled. Dies for it are steel and cases need to be lightly lubed, just like bottlenecked ones. Because of the taper, the "neck" expansion does not get undone as the case is withdrawn.

Rob

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Two dies is all you need for the 30 carbine. The bullet seating die should also put a slight taper crimp on the case. It doesn't take much to hold a 110gr bullet in place. If you want you can get a dedicated taper crimp die but don't over-do it or the cartridges won't seat right.:D

One of the most fun and accurate guns I own. Watch your trim length. If they start sticking coming out you might want to polish the chambers also. The Lee FCD works great for 30 carbine.
Happy shooting. :D :D Eric

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Normally all you need is two dies for rifle calibers. With the three die sets it is common now to have a dedicated case mouth expanding die so powder can be added before bullet seating and crimp. The Lee FCD works well on the 30 carbine. It makes it easy to adjust exactly the amount of taper crimp you want. :D

rangerbob

Buckeye
I use the Lee 3 die set with the TC sizing die and finish with the Lee FCD on my Dillon 550. Always get the hearing protection gear when shooting the .30 Ruger. Bob! 8)

pawncop

Blackhawk
Bought one a few years back. When I shot it the first time I was expecting a stout 38 +P load. Boy was I surprised! Great round and loads of fun.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Picked up the gun yesterday. I am not sure when I will get a chance to take it and try it out. It should be soon though! I am going to try Hornadys 110 gr half jacket bullet in it. Any one else has any experience with these. I am trying to figure out witch powder to use. I have on hand Hodgdons and IMR 4227, H110, Win 296 and 2400. plus other pistol powders. For now I will be shooting the Prvi ammo I have.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
For my rifle I use Hornandy 110 gr FMJ bullets with 14.5gr of H-110 - WSR primers - 1.660 OAL. Max is 15.0gr of H-110.

If you are shooting a revolver there is no reason that you have to use a full tilt load though. :D

damienph

Bearcat
My .30 carbine Blackhawk is a New Model. With 90gr XTPs it is a coyote (and dirt clod) killer.
BlackhawkEagleRight_zpsff6877bf.jpg

xtratoy

Buckeye
I got a chance to shoot it today. Got some 1" 3 shot groups @ 20 yards standing with a 2 handed hold. Only problem is it grouped 7.5" high with factory 110 FMJ at that distance. I have a place where I can shoot at a patch of dry dirt that is downhill at 220 yards, about 195 yards when corrected for the angle and the bullet were hitting just a little high at that distance . At 160 yards it was hitting about 2.5' to 3' high. I really don't want to have to spend a lot of money to have the front sight cut off and slotted for a taller replacement sight like the New Model Stainless revolvers have but I see no other decent permanent solution unless I just use it for shooting long distances. The rear sight is cranked down as far as it will go and there isn't enough metal to shave the rear blade down as far as would need to go. Anyone in the SW Washington (Vancouver) or NW Oregon (Portland) area know of a gunsmith that can machine a slot in the sight base like a NM Stainless Blackhawk has accurately ( sight truly vertical with the revolver frame )? This is why I mainly stick with NM Stainless Blackhawks. I may just trade it off on something else......