Joined the Front Sight club

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LD1989

Bearcat
Purchased an SR1911 CMD this September. Has been a great gun. Was shooting yesterday, trying to aim, having trouble, and then realized my front sight was gone. Used to feel sorry for those who lost their front sight. Now I have joined the club. Had 640 rounds through it when it happened. Darn. Hope no one else joins the club.

LD1989

Bearcat
Purchased at Gander Mountain with their warranty. Returned it to Gander to have fixed at no charge. Thought about paying for adjustable sights, but didn't. Probably should have.

Gunner4640

Bearcat
I have the cmd also, I have not got to shoot mine yet (wrist tendonitis) :( if my sight does break off do I just send them the slide or the whole gun? Thanks

Robert1955

Bearcat
Gunner, Ruger will want you to send them the entire pistol and both factory mags. They shot 22 rounds of Black Hills thru mine both times I had to send it back to them. They will email you a FedEx 2nd day air label to send it back to them.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear about the sight. I just picked my CMD up yesterday and after reading about some that have lost there`s I looked critically at it and I decided I will probably replace it with either a fiber optic or maybe a big dot anyway. Ruger is good at fixing problems but I hate to have to send it off and wait. Jim

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I shot mine off at about the 1200 round mark but most of my loads to that point were fairly soft recoiling handloads pushing a 225 gr cast bullet out to about 740 fps using WST.

IMG_0250.jpg

Fortunately replacement sights are cheap. I just ordered a few spares and replaced it and I'm back in business.

I'll tell you though, the SR1911 (I have the CMD) is my most used and carried pistol of all time. I like everything about it, from how it handles to the accuracy. Reliability has been perfect. I may even buy a second one!

eveled

Hawkeye
Highspeedlane said:
Fortunately replacement sights are cheap.

Actually I see it differently, the cheap sights are the problem. If they used a good sight to begin with we would not be haveing these problems. When mine brake, there is no way I am putting the same junk back on. Ed

Mus408

Hunter
I have a CMD I bought back in October and have around 400 rounds thru it. No problem yet,but is the front sight made of plastic? Any steel replacements for it?

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Mus408 said:
I have a CMD I bought back in October and have around 400 rounds thru it. No problem yet,but is the front sight made of plastic? Any steel replacements for it?

The front sight of your CMD is metal, but it is made by the metal injection molding process (MIM), versus the machining process.

There are quite a few machined replacement sights available (check brownells.com) but they all require installation by a skilled individual or gunsmith. Even the replacement sights offered on shopruger.com require above average do-it-yourself'er skills to install.

modrifle3

Buckeye
So are the sights breaking off? Or are people having them come out? This is the first good pic I have seen.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I think Novak will install and sight the pistol for you at a specific range and load.

perry10

Bearcat
I am a two time member of the front sight club now. I returned from the range today and was cleaning my ruger sr1911 and the front sight fell off into my hand. This is the second time this has happened in six months. Well she is off to Arizona again to be repaired.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
So are the sights breaking off? Or are people having them come out? This is the first good pic I have seen.

Mine (pic above) flew off during a 200 round session. One shot it was there, the next it was gone. I was using Kentucky windage after that but it was just a plinking session shooting at a 1/4" steel plate about 20 yards away.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
perry10 said:
I am a two time member of the front sight club now. I returned from the range today and was cleaning my ruger sr1911 and the front sight fell off into my hand. This is the second time this has happened in six months. Well she is off to Arizona again to be repaired.

Once is unfortunate; twice is unforgivable.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Too bad we don't have a sticky on this issue, with evidence or names and dates, to send to Ruger. Anecdotal posts don't have the same effect.

Remember Ruger is moving to a "parts bin" assembly gun model and shedding all their "fitted parts" fitted-guns production model. Wait till this impacts the No 1 and shotguns!
It's not about MIM at all, it is the dimensional check (or rather lack thereof) and the force required to set the front sight that fractures the part upon assembly. Then its just a matter of time/cycles before it fails.

The assembly lot was identified long ago by Ruger as a supplied-part problem and allegedly corrected. (despite a request I was not ever provided with any RCCA documentation, internal, supplier or otherwise).

Still, a heckuva lot better response than Springfield's issue a few years back, with their SS 1911 going FA out-of-the-box!

Bob C

Bearcat
I also lost a front sigh to breakage. Ruger provided me with a pre-paid label, got my CMD on Tuesday and had it on it's way back to me on Wednesday of the same week. Hopefully it was a run of defective front sights and the problem has been resolved.

Bumkin

Bearcat
Lost mine yesterday, purchased November 2013, 1350 rounds through it. Great customer service. Turn around is forcast at 5 days. Was told it was a batch of bad sights.