Grip front.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lucky Joe

Would have preferred that my SR1911 had serrations on the slide front and checkering on the grip front. I'm not going to worry to much about the slide front but would like to do something about the grip front. I know there are tapes to use. What have some of you guys done.

Talon Grips. Buy the 1x4 strips and cut to size. I suggest the gritty skate board or the Pro. But both they are cheap and there is no shipping cost.

Mike J

Hunter

moparclan

Single-Sixer
I put the inserts on a lot of my 1911's I think they are Pearce finger grooves. .
DSC00402.JPG

wproct

Single-Sixer
Well, this is what I did, but probably not what you had in mind. Mine is a Kimber Stainless Target in 9mm, and I would up adding a Smith & Alexander one piece MSH and Magwell in non-checkered smooth finish.

Attachments

• Kimber 1911.jpg
    Kimber 1911.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114

loaded round

Hunter
Are you aware that Brownell's sells an item called ''Checkered Front Strap'' both in blued and SS? Made of very thin metal that fits under and held in place by your grips once they are fitted to your postol. They're are made by Wilson Combat and priced around ten dollars. Excellent product and I'm using two of them myself on my two Ruger 1911's. Can't tel lthen from cut checkering when installed properly. I recommend them, so take a look.

Last edited:

Enigma

Hunter
You can always send it to a (real) gunsmith and have the front strap machine checkered for a couple hundred bucks. Or, hand checkered for significantly more money.

gunzo

Hunter
I hand checker but this will likely be my last one. The skateboard tape works really well & the previously mentioned Wilson Combat checkered front strap is really awesome. Hard to tell it's not real. About 15bucks on E-bay shipped free.
But then again, the tape is cheaper & nearly as effective.