jamming problem with ruger 45acp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerp97

Bearcat
i have a ruger p97dc that ive had problems with it not ejecting the casings and jamming up, have tried taking apart cleaning and lubing and have tried different brands of ammo and still have the problem - and ideas?

railroader

Single-Sixer
I also have a p97. A while back I was starting to get extraction problems. I took out the extractor and added a little tension and that fixed the problem. Take the slide by itself and slide an empty shell up under the extractor hook. You should be able to shake the slide a little without dropping the shell. You also don't want it too tight either where it's hard to slide the shell up under the extractor hook. Too tight will cause feeding problems. Mark

ken 66

Bearcat
I have had a 97dc for years, and never got it to work well. About 1 FTF in 2 magazines is about my best. I have never tried factory ammo, but run several other Rugers and Glocks successfully on my reloads. I noticed small brass filings on the extractor yesterday, and they appear to be from where the extractor touched the smallest diameter of the case. I have added tension to the extractor years ago and thought it helped. but maybe have too much?

Any way to further quantify the amount of tension on the extractor?

Thanks
Ken

tech4064

Bearcat
My P97 ran flawlessly right out of the box. However, my P90 developed failure to extract issues. I sent it to Ruger for repair. They replaced the extractor.

After I got it back, it extracted fine, but I would get a failure to feed a couple of times per magazine. This was caused from the extractor being too tight.

Relieving some of the tension fixed the FTF problem. The gun has been running great ever since.

Latest posts