Ivory grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BAMA45

Bearcat
Would like some ivory grips for one of my revolvers but can not afford them.
What would be cheaper and still have the look of ivory ? Any help would be appreciated.
thanks, BAMA45

Lots of stuff posted as to "what looks like ivory and is cheaper" try doinf a search, I know someone may come up with a "link" (not me,out of MY job classification)
anyway, Tru Ivory from Bar S Grips out in Everett,Wa, and our own Cary ( here on the Forum) we've use over the years, so I can personnaly vouch for and testify, they are BOTH excellent choices, and loved them all...Tru Ivory was "pour,molded" polymers, and Cary's used in this case "Holly Wood" and BOTH look like ivory and are not "cheap" by any means BUT far less costly than REAL ivory, like 20-30% of the cost of REAL ivory......most of the "fake" ivory folks "see" today are 'polymers (plastic) and look like that, "plastic", too white...........some of the early" polymer" and mixed or what some called "bonded ivory" used real ivory 'dust, power in the mix..........do not see them often and most of the ones we've some across again, too white, NO grain............good luck, and scan the want ads, may find a pair of older, yellowed? Ajax or Eagles, there are lots around...........

kelbro

Single-Sixer
shopruger.com has some nice ones. The Ajax models always sounded 'hollow' or 'plasticky' to me. The Rugers did not.

gak

Buckeye
Another vote for holly - in my case courtesy our also very own Carl "Private" Schultz.
_Xutf-8XBXSU1HMDA1MjcuanBnX_.jpg

As you might guess, being a wood, it is "warmer" feeling than ivory or faux ivory.
I do not have, but have also heard paper micarta.

I have some Private Schultz American Holly on my single six. It has aged very nicely. I've put pictures of it up before, but here it is again. And yes, lots better feel than plastic.

2013-04-13_14-50-35_513.jpg

I like them a lot. The next pair I order though will be without the emblems. Just a personal choice though.

CraigC

Hawkeye
TruIvory looks the most like the real thing. Not cheap but less than half that of real ivory. Unfortunately, this pic does not show the grain.

Open%20Top%2003.JPG

Holly is very nice looking and looks a lot like ivory but I've found it to also be a soft wood. Much softer and prone to damage than walnut or maple.

P1010128.JPG

Ivory micarta is also very handsome, particularly the old Westinghouse paper micarta and the new stuff from Sheffield.

IMG_7120e.jpg

gak

Buckeye
Craig, those are gorgeous! +1 I believe the hollys are/would be more prone to damage - why I always have a set of "working" grips for any anticipated rough duty.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree with Rugerguy and Craig,

Tru Ivory is the only exact match for Ivory in grain and feel, and they come in three shades of aged ivory, your choice. Mine were $125/pair and if you buy direct from Bar S and at least two pair, they fit them perfectly for free. They will also make them flat or angled on bottom and thin or fat. Just ship your grip frames with your check after calling them.

http://www.truivory.com/truivorygrips.htm

Ultra Ivory by Eagle Grips is a very close second with grain and color to match ivory; $100/pair.

http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Search-Results?keywords=ultra+ivory&osCsid=353b90ac65bd4399f8e687434dc1a9d5&x=8&y=6

Neither look like plastic!

David LaPell

Blackhawk
You could go with another direction too, and that is stag grips with the "bark". I have had several sets of grips with and without the bark done by Grashorns Gunworks and they are really sharp. They have a nice milky look to them but they don't seem to yellow like ivory.

Here's a set on a Flat Top I once had.

Same thing on my 27-2

wproct

Single-Sixer
I ordered the fake ivory for my Sheriff's model Vaquero from the Ruger website. I have been very pleased with them, for the price.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Smooth stag or giraffe bone is always nice too!

The above-pictured flat-top wore BluMagnum smooth stags originally.

P1010025.JPG