It's finally back to normal...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ammoman78

Single-Sixer
I checked basspro today and they had several brands of 22lr. It seems like it's normalizing here in southern California. It still sells relatively fast but they always have some. The cheapest was federal game shok 40 grain for 3.69 a box 50 rounds. Woohoo the drought seems to be over.

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
It's good that we've recovered and can get some now . . . but in the process remember we've gone from 4-5 cents per round to pretty much 7 cents minimum. 40% to 75% increase.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, .22s aren't the only thing that has gone up in price since the craziness. Look at powder and primers. Sure they have come down some places, and thankfully, they are available. Although, you can't always get exactly the powder you want all the time.

I am noticing that the parking lot at the LGS/range I frequent is at half capacity compared to the last couple years.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Availability has normalized here in Central N.C. Prices are certainly up from before the shortage, but are down from what they were in the not too distant past.

Jim

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, the local availability has gotten much better here,,, but the place many bought ammo,,, wally world,, still is suffering from zero inventory. And yes, the prices have gone up in the places I do see it. Glad I still have a stockpile from "before."

mikld

Blackhawk
Southern Oregon doesn't seem to be anywhere "normal" as far as 22 ammo goes. I was in the local big box store and they had two kinds of 22 LR, one was Federal and one was new to me (in a yellow box with black and red lettering). I could be wrong 'cause they were low on a shelf behind the counter. I did see the price; $4.99 for a box of 50. That's all I needed to walk away...

gunzo

Hunter
Gun shops here have plenty but still inflated prices in my opinion. I don't expect prices of 5 or 6 years ago, but hope plinking junk doesn't stay at eight cents either. Local Wally Worlds still can't keep up, rarely seen there.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Plenty here High on the price. Just let it sit on the shelves collecting dust and the price will come down.

Bill

Johnnu2

Hunter
Unfortunately, the manufacturers want us to think that "normal" is $35 - $40 per 500 rounds. That isn't "normal" to me. "Normal" now is: 'leave it on their shelves for as long as they held it back from us'.
J

gasbag

Blackhawk
I went in to the LGS in my area that has been out of 22 ammo for about 2 years.
I couldn't believe it.
An off the wall guess would be they had 50 to 75,000 rounds of 22.
There were 5 shelves about 10 feet long packed with various brands with 50rd/325rd/500rd boxes.
.........and no one running off with it like it was gold!! It was weird.
I bought a couple of boxes for what amounted to 6 cents a round.
I already had 10,000rds at home that I haven't touched for a few years but just buying some felt good... :mrgreen:
Other calibers of ammo were also fully stocked.
Also........the WalMart here is useless for ammo.
The employee in sporting goods said they won't order ammo for the store.
The ammo case is always 1/2 empty.
She has no idea why.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Now, ATK/CCI issues a news release they laid off 100 production workers for 30 days so they can sell off excess inventory. This is weird.

tinman

Buckeye
Until I see $1.97 on a box of 100 Mini-Mags.......it ain't "back to normal" to me. :idea:

Ammoman78

Single-Sixer
1.97 for cci mini mags? Lol how many years ago was that? I havent been buying it that long cause I've never seen that price. Normal is they actually have it in stock lol. The prices will never go back to what they were 5,10 or 15 years ago. The cheapest I've ever paid was 2.49 for a box of 50 federal champion.

Like the other person said...it's just nice to see it in the stores with an actual selection to chose from :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
My stash has been built on 500 round bricks from Walmart for $14 and change + tax (over the past 20 years, not including the fake shortage of the past 4+ years). I think, that if we wait, the laws of supply and demand may help those who 'need' build a stash for the next "shortage".... Hopefully OPEC will allow our gas prices to stay sorta 'low' in the meantime.
J.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, back in the day .22s ran about .50 a box of 50. I've no idea what bulk packs ran. In contrast, at this time gas was .33 a gallon and my first gun was $22. That was a brand new Marlin model 60 including a scope.

Closer to home, just before the craziness, Wally World had Thunderbolts at $2 box.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
Well, back in the day .22s ran about .50 a box of 50. I've no idea what bulk packs ran.

Hi,

When I was buying .22s at $0.50/box, I never saw anybody ever buy a full brick. That was what the Western Auto guy pulled the individual boxes out of to sell us!

I think the first time I ever bought a brick was about 1980-81 when I bought a new 10/22. Ruger's QC problems aren't new: it wouldn't cycle regular HV LR ammo. My ol' gunsmith boss told me to buy a brick of Mini-mags and run 'em thru it, cuz it would probably take that many before it would work right. And he was right...

I think regular .22s were about $10/brick then. Don't remember what I paid for the Mini-mags.

Rick C

Still sporadic. The local Cabela's seems to have a bunch, but the local BiMart (the local go-to place for ammo) is resorting to selling Aguila. That's all they've had in LR for many weeks. But then somebody says their Bimart elsewhere has plenty. Fred Meyer only has Armscor.

Still a ways to go.