Is there something special about this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
How can this seller expect to get $1050 for this, is it some kind of Unicorn?
Screenshot_20231222_201458_Chrome.jpg

That appears to be the KMK514. They're one of the more scarce configurations of the MKII.

It's a Target model with adjustable sights, and what I think of as a "heavy tapered" 5-1/4 barrel. It's a nice package, splitting the weight/balance difference between a 4-3/4" standard "pencil barrel," and the 5-1/2" bull barrel.

If one isn't familiar with the various MKII models, it would be easy to mistake it for a 4-3/4" pencil barrel- even if one had noticed the fully adjustable rear sight. An aftermarket supplier used to sell fully adjustable rear sights that you could add to a standard model, further muddying the waters.

Many like the way the 514 models "point," myself included. It's one of my favorite MKII configurations. I think the 4" bull barrel might edge it out as my favorite, but they're both very handy and "pointable."

It's a somewhat scarce model, and desirable to some. I looked through 135 GunBroker listings for MKIIs this morning, and didn't find any other MKII models with this barrel.

Still, I think the seller is rather "optimistic" in their pricing. 😂

Last edited:

gunzo

Hunter
They're dang scarce. A pretty short production run, about,,,, 1995?

I shot one years ago & really liked it. Couldn't find one for myself.

The 514 is both scarce and desirable. I don't know where I could find another one today, at any price. I have been known to overpay for a bird in the hand to fill a vacancy in my collection, and I'm sure there are others that would overpay to get his particular one in their collection, or continue waiting for a cheaper one that will not likely happen.

Collectible items will command a premium. If it's beyond someones means, move on. I see early 70's Chevy pickups sell for upwards of a hundred grand on TV auctions. I think they are way high, but somebody is buying them, and I likely will never have one.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The 514 is both scarce and desirable. I don't know where I could find another one today, at any price. I have been known to overpay for a bird in the hand to fill a vacancy in my collection, and I'm sure there are others that would overpay to get his particular one in their collection, or continue waiting for a cheaper one that will not likely happen.

Collectible items will command a premium. If it's beyond someones means, move on. I see early 70's Chevy pickups sell for upwards of a hundred grand on TV auctions. I think they are way high, but somebody is buying them, and I likely will never have one.
Can anyone suggest if it's "more rare" than the 6 7/8" heavy tapered?

contender

Ruger Guru
"Can anyone suggest if it's "more rare" than the 6 7/8" heavy tapered?"

Yes. Regular production (6-7/8") and in large quantities,, vs short production, and few produced in the 5-1/4" version.

Latest posts