Inexpensive factory 45 Colt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
I may reload some day.

In the meantime, what would be the optimum practice ammo?
--inexpensive
--suitable to create good shooting technique with single action
--inexpensive
--will not lead the barrel
--inexpensive
--will not harm a NM Blackhawk
--inexpensive

I was most impressed with Midway getting me Grizzly 335 grain 1175 fps loads in about three days during the Christmas rush.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
If you want to shoot .45 Colt on a budget, you gotta reload. Any other answer would seem flippant or rude, sorry.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I would order several differend brands, (MagTech, Winchester, Remington) shoot them, and whichever you like best, order a case. Save the brass.

These guys seem pretty cheap for .45 colt ammo.
http://georgia-arms.com/45longcolt.aspx

...Jimbo

contender

Ruger Guru
Georgia Arms has good factory ammo. I won some a few years back. And to echo the above,, reloading is THE way to go. But,, you need brass,,, so buying some factory will fix that.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
Right!
Save the brass. Someday you will reload.

Reloading is easy and fun in small doses.
You would be just over $200 for a basic Lee Anniverary kit ($100), Lee dies ($35), 100 brass ($30), 100 bullets ($20), 100 primers ($3) and 1lb of powder ($20).

Dave

Jed Clampett

Bearcat
Ask around. Everyone knows someone who reloads. You might have to buy the dies and componants, but you should be able to find a hobbyist who will do it for a small fee.

Good luck.
Jed

Pal Val

Buckeye
If I were to start reloading tomorrow, the .45 Colt would be a good choice. The reasons are many, and the results can be good right from the get-go.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Yeah, inexpensive and factory are just two terms not normally associated with each other when talking about 45 Colt. If there were ever two cartridges made for handloading if you want to shoot a lot, unless you have unlimited wealth, it is the 45 Colt and 45-70 (I'd throw in 44 Special too to maximize performance).

Handloading is not difficult to learn, just about *any* good single stage starter sets will get you going inexpensively, are an excellent way to learn the process, components are cheaper than factory ammo and (usually) more readily available, and you will turn out decent ammo that will do as well as if not better than factory ammo. No need to worry about an expensive progressive press set up. If you think a single stage outfit will be too slow, just consider the time it will take you to justify the cost of 50 factory rounds vs the hour or so of pleasure you would have loading and shooting your own handloaded ammo and gaining a new shooting hobby in the process!