If you could have only ONE Ruger #1?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

THE .41 MAN

Single-Sixer
I'd have to go with the .338Win. Mag. Barring dangerous game, It'll take all manner of NA big game and African plains animals.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
Guy M, great looking bear....has a big head.
Nice wood on your 375. Looks as if you put a decent recoil pad on yours....I had to do the same thing on my 45/70.
Good shooting there.
B.

handloader

Bearcat
Of the several I have, the last one to go and the first one I choose for hunting is a No1S in .338 Win Mag. I had the barrel bobbed to 23" and it has taken eleven bull elk, several mulies and one pronghorn.

BTW, bobbing the barrel reduced velocity by only 75 fps, so now a Nosler 210 exists at 3,055 fps.

Chief 101

Hunter
I don't use a largebore rifle these days but when I did and if I thought I needed another it would be the old 375 H&H. It does the job, it does it efficiently and it has some historical value to me. Chief aka Maxx Load

Mad_Manitoban

Bearcat
African Adventure .375 Ruger.
I really like the matte finish and the wood on these rifles.
Mine wears a VX-II 2-7.
Medium bores are where it's at for me.
I used 225gr Hornady IL's @2700 fps on whitetails last fall, this coming September I'll be using 260gr Nosler Accubonds
at about @ 2800 fps for mooses! 8)

PA200011wt.jpg

BikerRN

Bearcat
Very interesting topic, although I do wish more posters would give the reasons for their selection.

Being that I already have the varmint calibers covered by .22 LR and 5.56, as well as a .308 for medium game, I would select either a 45-70 or a .375 H&H as my only Number 1.

I've been considering this for the past two years or so, and started out thinking I wanted the 45-70. After further research, and picking the brains of friends that have hunted the dark continent, as well as my aussie bride, I've settled on the .375 H&H as my only Ruger Number 1.

My reasons are manyfold. First, my other calibers can handle my other game taking duties well. Second, the ballistics of the round surpass, IMHO, the 45-70's rainbow trajectory. Third, ammo is available worldwide, and the caliber was even recommended to me by the Guide I was considering using for an Autralian hunt for Asiatic Buffalo. Fourth, it's a good caliber for moose, elk, and bear here in the states.

Most likely I'll have a Ruger Number 1 in .375 H&H later this year. Next year I'll probably do a Buffalo hunt here in the states as preperation for going to Australia for Buff and Boar.

Biker

vol423

Bearcat
I'd go with this one. It is a .30/06 extensively reworked by Memphis gunmaker M.V. Highsmith, now retired. It began as a IB. The action was reworked, a G&H front sight added, engraved by Colt engraver Frankolini, and the factory wood reworked to a British style, complete with horn fore end tip. This gun's trigger is a crisp 20 ounces and it is phenominally accurate.

PA150421.jpg

gatling

Blackhawk
I'd go with a 1A in .30 06. It's a "do everything" rifle with a classic feel and it shoots minute of angle when I do my part. It was the first rifle I ever bought. It's a lucky gun for me; whenever I've hunted with it, it always connected.

Noah Zark

Bearcat
dsc09104R.jpg

I only have one No. 1 and it's a blued 45-70 "Red Pad."

The 45-70 can be loaded down with 12 gr of Unique, or up with 52 gr of IMR3031 and anywhere in between. When stoked, the 45-70 is MUCH flatter shooting than the parabolic-trajectory factory loads. And a 400 gr bullet moving at near 2000 fps will almost do for light armor, let alone any NA continent big game, and most African big game.

The 45-70 in an No. 1 can be loaded with heavier bullets, too. I came into several hundred Lyman Postell bullets in .458 that shoot to nearly ORH accuracy at 100 yds in my Red Pad No. 1. Those won't cycle through a Marlin 1895 or Winchester/Browning 1886.

I'm old-school for optics, too. That's a Lyman All-American 3X with a picket post, my favorite reticle.

Noah

Noah Zark

Bearcat
RJ556 said:
Noah, what kind of scope is that on your #1?

RJ: That's a Lyman All-American 3X with a picket post, my favorite reticle.

Chief: Thanks for the kind words on the No 1!

Noah

Noah Zark

Bearcat
RJ556 said:
Noah, that is the classic scope set-up for the classic #1. I wish I had one for my 30-40 1A. :(

Old-School Cool. 8)

Thanks very much for the comments!

Noah

winchester37

Single-Sixer
second that 1A in '06, can't think of a better all-around, available everywhere cartridge.

this assumes that 77s are available in other calibers for different types of shooting.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Hmm, thought I replied to this one already....guess not. Here's my only No.1... A stainless 1H in 458Lott with a Leupold Scout Scope that was bead blasted by Jack Huntington and stippled by my friend Randy Fung of Fung Custom Grips. (cartridge slide by Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged)

RugerNo1005.jpg

RugerNo1007.jpg

RugerNo1004-2.jpg

RUgerSafetyandMohawk005.jpg

RUgerSafetyandMohawk001.jpg

AfricaPictures305.jpg

AfricaPictures223.jpg

AfricaPictures238.jpg

I am trying to resist a 303Brit 1A right now, but I'm not sure if it's a fight I can win.

All The Best,

Stump