I finished a 1911 SA Mil-Spec build.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz":3ipqpu3s said:
I have seen and heard of a lot of things when it comes to 1911's, some are good, some are bad, some are really bad. I have heard of 'playing' with the firing pin stop but I have never tried it. It's easy enough, I'll try it out. Thanks.

If the info is correct it's just putting the gun back to how Browning originally designed it.

You guys with countless rounds downrange should be able to feel the difference in the recoil far better than me (and I could tell).

Here's more if you like details.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t ... radius+fps

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The only problem that I can see is if you didn't get it just right you could get the unlock timing off far enough to cause some other issues, like wear on the barrel/slide lugs.
That Mil-Spec had a extra long barrel link installed when I got it, it's done to get better accuracy along with an extra strong recoil spring. That's real old school and also stupid school as you can really mess up a gun that way, if you shoot it a lot.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz":17rercwc said:
The only problem that I can see is if you didn't get it just right you could get the unlock timing off far enough to cause some other issues, like wear on the barrel/slide lugs.
That Mil-Spec had a extra long barrel link installed when I got it, it's done to get better accuracy along with an extra strong recoil spring. That's real old school and also stupid school as you can really mess up a gun that way, if you shoot it a lot.

I don't know enough to understand how it could change unlock timing. RE the recoil spring, apparently JMB's original spec was for a 14# spring. It's definitely harder to rack the slide with the hammer down (this was the military's complaint) but that's the design.

There's really not much to get just right; get it to fit properly and break the edge instead of the "big" radius. One thing I did notice that was mentioned is the breach is really clean after shooting, indicating the charge is fully leaving the barrel before it unlocks. Interesting stuff.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Felt recoil is just that, by stretching out the cycle time of recoil, the felt recoil is lowered.
If you slighty delay the unlocking of the barrel but don't delay the slide moving back, you make the cycle time longer, only by milliseconds but it is made longer. This reduces felt recoil but some of that energy could be putting some force (angled force) on the barrel/slide lugs because the barrel unlocks at a different point.
I agree that the original design had a radius and it has been changed and I'm sure that a slight radius would have no adverse effect on the gun but there is a possibity of too much and I imagine if that is the case, damage could occur over time.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Cheese, I defer to your superior knowledge about the 1911. I can understand how the movement of the slide is restricted sooner by the FPS since it hits the trigger sooner and also how the leverage (force) applied to the slide is higher because of where it hits on the trigger, but I can't figure how the timing of the barrel unlocking would be changed in relation to where the slide is on the frame. IE the physics of the cycling event is changed but the mechanics of the event is not. Like it would be with a different length link or changes to the barrel lugs or other changes I know nothing about.

Anyway, it did appear to reduce muzzle flip some and it did take the right torque motion out of it. And it was a good little fitting project with little chance of messing the gun up bad. :wink:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I'm hardly a 1911 expert, I tried to build up a gun and it turned out pretty good and I'm very happy.

I just recently got back into 1911's after not owning one in a long time. What I know about 1911's I learned from my Dad, who served in WWII and carried one as a Chicago cop, an old grizzled US Army instructor and gunsmith named Pinkston and Patrick Sweeney's books.

I am going to try out that stop mod as I do think it's probably a good mod.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Now that's one damn good looking 1911. Like how you kept the lines clean, and maintained the classic appeal of the gun. I was equally impressed by your knowledge of slide and bbl. lock/unluck sequence. That's a topic that is very rarely discussed. The last time I've read anything on the subject was by pistolsmith Steve Nastoff back in the 1980's. Thanks for those great pics too. Thanks again.

A old injun,

Anthony Williams

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":1ae9d7az said:
I kinda like the patina.
milspec2.jpg

Me too ! I love it when the edges of a 1911 get worn like the above .... it shows it's a gun that's been shot. Most of my 1911's are stainless, so you just get a shinier area instead of a worn off blue or park.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Anthony Williams":4112rokb said:
Now that's one damn good looking 1911. Like how you kept the lines clean, and maintained the classic appeal of the gun.

Thanks Anthony, I just wanted to get this thing likeable, and it is and it shoots great.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nice !!! Looks almost exactly like my olive drab one earlier in the thread. I see you like the magwell, flat MSH and long trigger as well.

I must admit though, I've just never been into the whole beavertail thing. Never been bitten yet.

How's it shoot ??

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":1ff0nqyy said:
Did you have some trigger work done between the new hammer and long trigger? My Mil Spec pulls a "crisp" 6 lbs. :roll: I think the kids would call yours blinged out :wink:

Mine's 3 Armed, and I gotta admit ... if you're not used to it and ready for it ... it's kind of scary ...

I never let anyone shoot it without strict warnings.

REV