I finished a 1911 SA Mil-Spec build.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Well, it started out an ugly duckling. The previous owner could have probably been charged with abuse, if not just bad taste.

After a lot of parts removal and parts additions and some major tuning, the gun shoots great and looks a whole lot better. I put a lot of work into this thing and it was worth it.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":3uygkesc said:
Well, it started out an ugly duckling. The previous owner could have probably been charged with abuse, if not just bad taste.

After a lot of parts removal and parts additions and some major tuning, the gun shoots great and looks a whole lot better. I put a lot of work into this thing and it was worth it.

I can see you put a lot of time into it, nice job!!! Its a keeper for sure......

Talegunner

Bearcat
GREAT JOB ! Looks PERFECT!!! I'm considering doing the same with the commander sized model. I just need to run across one............. :D TG

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
How much $ did you end up putting into it after it was all said and done? What is the trigger pull like? I shot my friend's standard milspec and it was horrendous.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
WyoGunner":3qymkk3d said:
How much $ did you end up putting into it after it was all said and done? What is the trigger pull like? I shot my friend's standard milspec and it was horrendous.

I put in more $ because the guy that owned it before me put on a bunch of stainless and nickel plated parts.

The trigger pull is very nice and very short but too light for a carry gun about 3#.

I haven't totalled the overall price but I got the base gun pretty cheap.

It's probably a bit over $900 into it, counting the original gun purchase.

If I had paid for all the labor it would have been $300 more, I did almost all of it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'll see your MilSpec ....

And I'll RAISE you a GI !!!!!

LOL !!!!! Flat MSH and LONG trigger .... great minds think alike !! Very nice.

BTW, 1911's look gay with the hammer down ... ESPECIALLY a skeletonized hammer .... at least you don't have the safety on in the first pic .... well .... maybe ya do ... nah ... even YOU wouldn't do THAT ... :D

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Mike J":2evj3ykv said:
That looks very nice Cheese. Does it shoot as good as it looks?

I shot it about five different times after I finished it but before I sent it to get refinished, it really shoots great.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The gun not only had some ugly parts to replace but had some mods that needed to be undone.

A list of all parts:
C&S Videcki trigger
Ed Brown beavertail grip safety
C&S recoil spring plug
Wilson tactical thumb safety
Springfield main spring housing
Wilson HD recoil spring 16#
Wilson hammer
Wilson sear
Chip McCormick rosewood grips
EGW stainless steel barrel bushing
Wilson grip screws
Novak Ghost sights (front & rear)
Wilson barrel link and pin

Things I did:
Tightened slide to reciever, lapped all mating surfaces
Fit beavertail safety with high ride cut
Fit thumb safety to match the high ride cut
Beveled and tuned extractor
Installed and fit trigger group, tuned trigger

Things it was sent out for:
Novak cuts milled in to slide
Black Armory Kote applied.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
That's quite a list of mods. One of the great things about a 1911 is how much you can personalize it.

Since Rev turned this into a show n tell thread.... :wink:

This is a Mil Spec I'm slowly working on:

Wilson Combat thumb safety
C&S long trigger
EGW small radius FPS
Wolf springs
gutted ILS
carbon fiber grips CNCd at work

Needs a trigger job and/or the shooter needs better trigger control.
I kinda like the patina.

milspec1.jpg

milspec2.jpg

Rev, you may want to turn away from this next pic, it's one of those pot metal guns.

Work in progress, compact stainless.
compactframe.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm betting it's just a frame, probably from Caspian or STI, or one of those guys.

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz":1w7cbzp3 said:
Armed, is that stainless frame from a Springer compact?

What are you going to model that gun after?

I failed to mention the name because I know it offends Rev greatly but it starts with a K. :wink: It's an older series 1 officer size that I picked up a couple of months ago and really like how it shoots for me. It's just getting a new bead blast finish to clean up some handling marks and some new sights and grips. It pulls 4&1/2 lbs which is fine but has a bit of creep that I hope to have a smith correct using the stock parts. These are my first 1911s and I'm hooked bad.

Have you real shooters looked into the small radius firing pin stop? I put on on both of these and the difference is noticeable. More on the full size than the 4" which surprised me.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t ... iring+stop

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have seen and heard of a lot of things when it comes to 1911's, some are good, some are bad, some are really bad. I have heard of 'playing' with the firing pin stop but I have never tried it. It's easy enough, I'll try it out. Thanks.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":1x6cd1ht said:
I failed to mention the name because I know it offends Rev greatly but it starts with a K. :wink: It's an older series 1 officer size

MIMbers don't 'offend' me at all, and from what I've heard, the older series 1 guns were pretty good. I have nothing against MIMbers, I just think they're worth about half what people pay for them. Being a series 1 gun, yours is probably more Kimber than MIMber anyway. :D

Just be happy you aren't buying any junk CZ's and are sticking to real guns like 1911's .... :lol:

REV