How to get a high polish on SS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZRuger

Bearcat
I recently had Gemini Customs work on my SRH. Did a great job, and put a high polish on the hammer, trigger and other appointments, including the extraction rod.

How can I do this on my own?
What polishing materials do I need and are there teaching tutorials out there?

NikA

Buckeye
I've done something similar to a surplus S&W revolver.

-Step 1 is to take everything apart, and reassemble surfaces you want blended. On your SRH, you'd probably want the trigger housing attached to the frame, but all the other pieces need to come out of the frame.
-Step 2 is to use coarser wet/dry sandpaper to take out any dings or scratches that you don't want to appear in the final finish. This can be a real pain. On the surplus gun I just decided that some were small enough not to worry about. I used 240 and 320 grit metallurgical polishing paper for this step.
-Step 3 is to blend the areas from step 2 to the finish of the rest of the gun with 600 grit paper. At this point, you can decide that you'd like a brushed finish, in which case you use Scotchbrite pads to replicate the Ruger finish. Look at the original brushing directions before you start and replicate them- they do it enough to get pretty much the ideal arrangement.
-Final step (4) is to polish with a cotton wheel and buffing compound. You can buy inexpensive kits for a hand drill on Amazon or other online retailers. A vise or bench mount is ideal for this step, since you will want to push hard enough to actually remove material.
-After finishing, the buffing compound should be removed with a solvent (isopropyl alcohol works well) from all the nooks and crannies, then you'll need to reassemble. If you decide it's not shiny enough, you get to do steps 1 & 4 again! You may also decide that having a really shiny gun is not for you, in which case you can Scotchbrite the whole thing.

roylt

Hunter
I use a buffing wheel in a drill press. You get a bit more clearance then with a bench grinder. Harbor freight is cheap to by the supplies.

6gun

Hunter
I use a buffing wheel and polishing rogue on my bench grinder, I can put a mirror finish on and piece of metal.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
YouTube has a lot of good videos on polishing a stainless gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtBmVR9FiO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8gTipHUaI

cas6969

Buckeye
Many years I did a stainless SBH to a high polish with a buffing wheel and stainless polish. Looked like a mirror. You have to be careful with power though as you can round off corners and remove lettering.

I had to send that gun back to Ruger for a repair and they returned it with a brushed finish. I WAS NOT happy.

A year or so later they came out with the polished stainless Vaquero which ticked me off even more. Oh.. NOW it's okay. lol

Latest posts