How Special Is This Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
How special is this revolver? I have never seen one like this before. Could it have been a special run?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267915015

pix219288980.jpg

captainkirk

Blackhawk
That is a new one on me. I certainly do not have a strong background in the single sixes, but for some reason I have a feeling it is not 100% factory. I don't know of any "Bisleys" with birdshead gripframes. Since it has the warning on the barrel it has to be at least a few years old. That is about all I can add. A call to the factory with the serial # could get you the configuration in which it was shipped, but I bet someone with first hand knowledge will chime in soon.

captainkirk

hittman

Staff member
I'm not a big single action pro either but ..... don't you have either a birds head grip frame or Bisley grip frame but not both?

Ruger's web site puts that S/N in the 1999-2000 range if I read it correctly.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I agree with you all that this is a Bisley modified with a birdshead grip frame. I e-mailed the seller to see if he has the original box with the model number. He does not have the box. I will try to get hold of Ruger to confirm this. Thanks.

chet15

Hawkeye
I've seen a couple of unusual looking things with that person's auctions. There's definitely some playing that's went on there.
And when a gun's been modified like that, what are the odds that thing is "probably unfired" as he says??? Either he is unaware of what it is he has purchased through the years or is trying to make a bigger fool out of somebody who falls for it.
Chet15

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
There was an auction by another individual on GB a month ago for two LNIB GKNR5 revolvers, which were from an collector's estate. I called the seller, he guarenteed they were high gloss. Something did not look entire right to me. I got the dealer to give me the serial numbers. Ruger confirmed they were shipped from the factory as blued guns. I called the dealer back and he was adament they were stainless. After our conversation, he must have called Ruger for himself, as he removed them from GB.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger made Bisleys have Bisley hammers and triggers and Bisley grip frames WHICH have the two upper screws under the grips.

Looks like a FrankenRuger to me.

This one ain't a Bisley either...

85490282.jpg

flatgate

Also from looking at the seller's pictures. He holds the gun at an angle away from the camera, making it hard to see the hammer. In one close ip picture he puts his thumb over the hammer. I'd be suspect as well.

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
I believe that this is called a "Blackbird" and it should come with
2 cylinders, a .22 mag and a .22 LR.

I could be mistaken

The barrel looks longer though....hmmmm... also I see a warning on
the barrel and the Blackbird has no warning showing on the side as
this one does.

HERE IS ANOTHER LOOK IT UP ON GB
Ruger Blackbird 22 Single Six Birdshead TALO

Auction # 269057629

I'm sure not aware of any Ruger single-actions being called "Blackbirds."

The Old Model grip panels with the black "Phoenix" or "Eagle" get referred to as "Blackbirds" occasionally.

Well, how 'bout that, a Talo special. Learn something every day.

As xtratoy shows, these have the 3-3/4" barrels and both cylinders . . . and a "normal" hammer.

Does kinda make a nicely descriptive name for the little bird's-head frame with black panels, doesn't it?

:)

It's not what was in the auction, however.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I agree it looks like the Davidson's Bisley with a little swappin' goin' on. Is it me, or does that not look like a blued hammer?