How fast can I push these?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Critch

Single-Sixer
I have some 215 grain RNFP 41 caliber bullets. How fast can I push these out of my Blackhawk before leading gets to be a problem? They are listed as Brinell 18 on hardness.

gray wolf

Bearcat
depends on how well they fit the cylinder throats and the barrel.
A correct match should do 1,100 easy.

Critch

Single-Sixer
My searching shows some (very few) fairly high velocity loads, around 1400 FPS; but these are not from companies, they are from inidviduals. I've also found a number of powders that the fastest loads listed are around 1000 FPS, these are in my books and official websites.

I'm wanting to go to 1300 FPS, I guess I could work up to it and see what happens. All I've ever shot over 1000 FPS out of my Blackhawk is jacketed hollowpoints.

gray wolf

Bearcat
The question from the OP was ( without leading ) Very hard to work up loads with H110 and the like 296 --very short load window. There are other powders that allow a little more MIN. MAX. variable. If it were me I would work the load up no matter what. Also what is the track record of your pistol with lead bullets in regards to leading. That's got to tell you something. Not to repeat things but lead bullets depend on bullets being sized to the cylinder throat and at least .001 over bore size. Work them up and watch for the leading.