HiViz Sights For A Mark III...Do They Look Good?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

810wmb

Single-Sixer
ok, need just a touch of input. i posted a couple of questions in my other thread, but it was petering out. so i didn't get any answers.

i was about to pull the trigger in the sights, i saw some reviews where the sights didn't look as good as the barrel. pitted metal, sights off by 3 degrees, etc.

first question - has anyone noticed this?

second question - would you buy both sights, just to see if i like them both? most didn't like the rear sight. i can buy the front alone for a savings of about $10.

thanks again!

Merovingian

Bearcat
Sites look good to me and are accurate as well...

I replaced my pipes (green/red) with a white one from the HiViz website just because I prefer the look.

Should have no problem with the MKIII Hunter, its a really nice firearm.

tguil

Single-Sixer
I changed both front and rear sights on my Mark II. The v-notch works just fine for me. I changed only the front sight on my Redhawk leaving the square notch sight on the rear. It works OK too.

IMO the fiber optic sights look just fine and and for plinking and hunting, my 66 year-old eyes appreciate them a bunch.

Changing the rear blade is easy but a bit tricky if if you are a "klutz". I know. :mrgreen:

Tom :cool:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I have the fiber optic sights on my USST. I am changing the front sight to a standard Ruger front sight. The optic to me is to large. I have a friend who installed the V rear sight with the front fiber optic on a MKII. It did not look like it lended to precision shooting more to fast sight aquisition. When I used to shoot IPSC the fiber optic was good on the limited class guns because you could get on target quicker but did not help accuracy any. I actualy used a very narrow front sight which worked better for me.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
RUGER_2245_1911GRIP001Medium.jpg

:mrgreen:

one eye joe

Bearcat
The Hi-Viz sights aid in rapid target aquisition in hunting or self defense situations. They do NOT aid in accuracy, because the top of front sight is not square but round, so getting tops of front and rear sight on a level plane is an imprecise process. NOT good for bullseye shooting...........................one eye joe

810wmb

Single-Sixer
:x

ok, damn it, tell me something.......

my mIII shoots like a dream, dead on the money. i love shooting it, accurate as hell.

i started looking at these sights on a whim, just wanting to spend a little cheese.

on one hand, people have posted that it takes away from being accurate, but you can pick up a target faster.

i just plink...i shoot at targets, cans, etc...goof off.

i really like the fact i can hit anything with the sights i have.

i don't want to sacrifice being accurate to being able to pick up a target faster.

i know it's just $35 bucks, but why spend it if i don't need it?

DO I NEED THESE OR NOT :?: :?: :?:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
810wmb":20ahp59r said:
:x...on one hand, people have posted that it takes away from being accurate, but you can pick up a target faster...DO I NEED THESE OR NOT :?: :?: :?:

I have them on two of my pistols and they work and look fine but the statement above about accuracy is correct in my experience.
Most things on guns you don't "need" but maybe you "want" so it's up to YOU in the end. After all, it only money ! :mrgreen:

DUNTOV

Single-Sixer
810wmb":3penelcj said:
:x

ok, damn it, tell me something.......

my mIII shoots like a dream, dead on the money. i love shooting it, accurate as hell.

i started looking at these sights on a whim, just wanting to spend a little cheese.

on one hand, people have posted that it takes away from being accurate, but you can pick up a target faster.

i just plink...i shoot at targets, cans, etc...goof off.

i really like the fact i can hit anything with the sights i have.

i don't want to sacrifice being accurate to being able to pick up a target faster.

i know it's just $35 bucks, but why spend it if i don't need it?

DO I NEED THESE OR NOT :?: :?: :?:
I had a set on a 22/45 Hunter model, hated them & replaced them with regular sights.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
8)

after 100 days and two threads, i bit the bullet.

i ordered the front and rear sights on a whim at 4 am this morning...

810wmb

Single-Sixer
ok -

i got them a few days ago, put the front one on today. i haven't shot the gun yet, but i can tell you prob can pick up a target easier.

the bad - the ruger sights are longer. there are 2 places where the ruger sights were, that is down to metal. looks like crap.

any way to fix this?

where the blue is off of the 2 spots, aren't they more prone to rust, seeing as they are now exposed?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,,, as you've found,, they do allow a brighter sight picture. As for the rub marks from the factory sight. You can clean & cold blue,, or just keep the area oiled to prevent rust.