Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I'm considering buying a Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would be interested to hear feedback from anybody who has one (reliability, accuracy, fit/finish, etc.).

It will see some action at the range, but I'm mainly interested in it as a deer rifle.

Thanks,

SR

I got one in LH last Dec. Got to the range testing it thru spring. Only hand load. I found the 140 gr bullets shoot better then 120s. I have maybe 200 rounds only at 100 yds so far. I got it mainly for a light recoil small group shooting at the range for up to 300 yds.
My groups I shoot with non mag rifles is 5 shots. This rifle shoots them mostly under 1 inch. The first 3 rds are normally around the 1/2 inch mark. I say bench rest shooting but, I support the rear and have the front on sand bags. Scope is a 4.5x14 Leupold VX3i 30 mm tube with 50 mm front lens. CDS turrets have not arrived yet.
I like match grade real light triggers, this one is good but, not a match trigger. I do not care about the camo finish. I ran out of h4350 powder so, not really finished with my own tests. I did a complete take down and clean/inspect before shooting it. The front trigger guard screw area had a crack in the stock. Ruger replaced the stock in several weeks. My opinion they tighten the screw down to much with there power driven tools.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the feedback. I handled one in person for the first time today. I have three boys so I think it would be a good gun to have around with the spacers in the stock.

I've also had pretty good luck with Rugers, and actually really like their triggers. I usually polish them a bit and install a lighter spring, and that usually creates a nice 2.5-3 pound hunting trigger.

I'm kind of like you regarding the camo finish. I would be fine with just a regular laminate stock. But my kids seem to like the camo, so I guess that's OK.

SR

Forgot to mention. I did buy 1 box of hornady 140g and 1 of 120g. I have used them to compare to hand loads. Only fired 10 of each. They do shoot good nearly the same as hand loads. Without looking up data I recall the 120g bullets still shoot 5 rds under 2 inchs. But, the 140s are better. Also I have been firing with brake on. I removed it and put on the extension and it shot in same spot. Removed that at it shot 2 inchs low and 2 inches right without the brake or extension at 100 yd. My opinion is they would make a great hunting rifle for deer size game. Mine is heavier then I like to carry all day because of the heavy scope. I have other rifles to do any hunting I want. Maybe use this for long range coyote.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I ended up buying one of these rifles. I like it quite a bit. It's on the heavy side but I think that helps me shoot it well.

I've had it to the range a couple of times before today, but it was always warm and windy so I didn't worry too much about shooting for groups. Just mainly checking for functionality and getting the scope zeroed.

Today the weather was a bit better so I thought I would give it a whirl again. My first 3-shot group went into 0.4" (Hornady Superformance 129 grain Interbonds). I adjusted the scope and shot another 3-shot group and it was right at 1".

The rifle also shoots the Hornady American Whitetail load pretty well. The point of impact is also within an inch of the Superformance load.

So if anybody is thinking about one of these, I would give it a thumbs up. I replaced the trigger spring and polished the sear a bit and have a nice pull of about 2.75 pounds.

SR

WoodsQuest

Bearcat
How do you guys like the 6.5? Does it need all the barrel it can get, or will it still perform from a 20 inch tube?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have a stainless left-handed .223 Rem Gunsite Scout, which is, I believe, the same action as the FTW but with different cosmetics. The "LC6" trigger on mine was reasonably clean and creep free but a bit heavy at about 4-1/2 pounds. I changed the factory trigger spring for a lighter one from "Ernie the Gunsmith" (erniethegunsmith.com) which cost about $7, took about 10 minutes to install and dropped the pull weight to about 2-1/2 pounds with no other changes. His springs are full length but of lighter wire so they are a perfect fit and the gun remains bump-safe and reliable.

dusty3030

Bearcat
WoodsQuest said:
How do you guys like the 6.5? Does it need all the barrel it can get, or will it still perform from a 20 inch tube?

This round from all my research does about all it will do around between 22 and 24 at the most; therefore, I see it as a great round for a sporting rifle and wouldn't shy away from a 20.

I've been a 6.5 fan for years and have always had a few Swedes (and still do) in the stable. I've been toying with the Creedmoor and am moving to it as my all around favorite.

Nicolas56

Bearcat
south_ridge said:
I'm considering buying a Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would be interested to hear feedback from anybody who has transfers CDG one (reliability, accuracy, fit/finish, etc.).

It will see some action at the range, but I'm mainly interested in it as a deer rifle.

Thanks,

SR
I like it quite a bit.