Ranch rifle in 6.5 Grendel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Could someone give me some hands on feedback on this rifle? I've been looking for a companion to my AR Grendel that is short, light, and mag fed bolt action. This seems to be the only game in town but I'd like some actual personal use reports. Thanks.

9x19

Hunter
Mine shot well, actually performed better for me than my AR in 6.5 Grendel. I did have better feeding with C Products mags than with ASC, but that may not be the case with every rifle.

I sold my 6.5 guns and ammo recently, as I continue to down-size and consolidate, but never had any complaints with the Ruger.

" I did have better feeding with C Products mags than with ASC,"
So this rifle does use actual AR type magazines? I've not even seen one locally so basically clueless.

" I did have better feeding with C Products mags than with ASC,"
So this rifle does use actual AR type magazines? I've not even seen one locally so basically clueless.

Yes, the Ruger Ranch Grendel uses AR mags.

Howa also makes bolt action Grendels, in both heavy and sporter barrels. I have a heavy barreled Grendel and it is currently at the 'smith to have the 20 inch barrel cut to 16.5 inches and re-threaded.

The main problem with Howas is the plastic trigger guard and plastic mags.

I converted my Howa to accept CZ mags.

If only I had bought a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel before they were discontinued.

I'd really prefer the HOWA(blasphemy on this forum?) but the heavy barrel doesn't fit my need so that made the decision for me. The use of AR mags is a plus as I already have a plethora of those.
My wish list: light, short, mag fed, threaded barrel, synthetic stock, low recoil.
Looking ahead, this may end up as a Great Grand son/daughter's first deer rifle if/when that time comes.
UPDATE: rifle is purchased and awaiting shipment. Free shipping paid the sales tax :) and I found a FFL close to places I regularly travel who only charges $20 for transfers.

Yes, the Ruger Ranch Grendel uses AR mags.

Howa also makes bolt action Grendels, in both heavy and sporter barrels. I have a heavy barreled Grendel and it is currently at the 'smith to have the 20 inch barrel cut to 16.5 inches and re-threaded.

The main problem with Howas is the plastic trigger guard and plastic mags.

I converted my Howa to accept CZ mags.

If only I had bought a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel before they were discontinued.
I think I have the same Howa rifle with 20" barrel , measure little less than 3/4" at the muzzle, pretty darn good little shooter but like you I don't care much for the plastic mags or trigger guard , so how did you covert to use CZ mags ?

I also have CZ 527 both in 223 and 6.5 Grendel

I think I have the same Howa rifle with 20" barrel , measure little less than 3/4" at the muzzle, pretty darn good little shooter but like you I don't care much for the plastic mags or trigger guard , so how did you covert to use CZ mags ?

I also have CZ 527 both in 223 and 6.5 Grendel

I have 527s in .223 and 7.62x39.

The 6.5G and 7.62x39 527 mags are the same and marked as such.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Bearcat
I have 3 AR types in 6.5 Grendel one a beg long barrel upper by Alexander Arms, one in a similar configuration, but gas piston then a mis length carbine with gas piston, both Adams Arms unit and really like them, makes &or a much cleaner running gun, I also have an earlier CZ 527 in Grendel, along with an older model in .22 Hornet. I like the little Cz, just wish tche barrel was a little heavier

The Grendel Ranch Rifle arrived yesterday and I found time to swab out the bore and mount a scope today. Not for sure which scope I'll like so mounted up two distinctly different options. Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 with the BDC crosshairs and a Primary Arms 1-4x24 with illuminated center dot(I'm really fond of this dot set-up but the scope adds over a pound to the rifle). I figure it's not a big deal to zero both and then decide (or just have the second scope waiting in case I want to swap later).
Exterior metal on rifle is finished OK but the bolt looks like it was polished by a blind man with an angle grinder. Trigger is acceptable and may improve with use. Stock just as expected-utilitarian. Muzzle threading is clean and crisp with plenty of 'meat' at the shoulder to support the muffler. Rifle came with a 10 round mag identical to what I'm using in my AR's and the fit is snug and secure. Mag release is inset so less chance of inadvertently dropping the mag while hand carrying.
Bore seems fairly smooth. I'll use some of the cheap(ish) steel case stuff to get a basic zero and do a bit of barrel break in.
All that may not happen right away. Wheat is finally ready to harvest so there goes 3-4 days unless it finally decides to rain this weekend.

Brownell's had Howa mini barreled actions on sale for $399.99, so I bought a standard weight 22 inch 6.5 G. I immediately took it to a 'smith to have the barrel cut to 18 inches. Probably won't rethread this barrel, I am building a gun for totin', not bench resting.

I have the oem stock my heavy barreled mini came in to try with this new action and barrel. I may swap to Boyd's stock in the future.

...Exterior metal on rifle is finished OK but the bolt looks like it was polished by a blind man with an angle grinder. ...I'll use some of the cheap(ish) steel case stuff to get a basic zero and do a bit of barrel break in...

All of the RAR bolts I've seen are like that, but it doesn't seem to bind the action. Might be wise to clean the chamber really well after using steel-case ammo; I bought a used 7.62x39 RAR a few years back, and it had extraction failures with brass-cased ammo until I took some bronze wool/copper scrubby pad to the chamber (guessing the previous owner used steel-case ammo and didn't clean it well). No problems since the clean up!

Guessing it will shoot well for you! I like 'em a lot!

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

I can't seem to find a time for shooting lately with storm cleanup and related crap. The drought is busted with showers hitting 3-4-5 times a day.
I have a VORTEX Crossfire II 2-7x32 BDC (maybe excessive considering the limited range of the Grendel) mounted and it looks good. The 1-4x24 LPVO w/illuminated dot is a reasonable option but is 4 ounces heavier than the VORTEX, Slight issue with the front of the factory installed Weaver 'rail' contacting the front scope bell but a 0.10" higher ring set solved that. Bore cleaned up nicely with only a few patches and no perceptible rough spots.

My assembly is ready to visit the range.

Attachments

• 20230715_082014.jpg
    20230715_082014.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts