Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor 16.1"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A friend bought one last month and was zeroing the scope when we stopped by yesterday. I'd looked at the rifle a couple of times at the LGS but wasn't quite convinced it was what I wanted. It's a cute little piece but HOLY MOLY, it's loud. That muzzle brake thingie sends shock waves like a slap in the face. On the plus side, it seemed pretty accurate with a somewhat questionable front rest (no rear rest or bag) and random choice ammo (Winchester tipped deer something or other). Using a 'tactical-ish' scope with somewhat coarse aiming point, the shooter was getting around 1-1.5 MOA with the first few shots from a brand new bore.
Seems to be a decent rifle but the very first addition I'd make would be a suppressor or a 'blast forwarder' muzzle device.

gunzo

Hunter
Wondering why a break on a 6.5 Cr. with that barrel length made me look. All I could find was a go wild model & they called it a compact. The 12.5" length of pull would indicate to me a youth rifle & the brake is perfectly understandable.
Otherwise, most that buy this barrel length are thinking of a suppressor as you indicated.. But the short pull still puzzling.
While all offerings may not be offered to suit me, just glad that there are options.

I don't think the buyer realized it had a shorter length stock until we actually began shooting it. Anyhoo, full sized take off stocks are available at a reasonable price.

Granted my rifle has a 24-inch barrel. A hawkeye FTW hunter in 6.5 CM. Shooting with the Ruger muzzle brake on only adds to the sound level. Recoil is nearly zero, with and without it. I removed the brake and just keep the thread protection on it. You should have taken it off and tried it. It might still be damn loud.

Last edited:

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
This must be the gun the OP is talking about.

Attachments

• pix398482044.jpg
    pix398482044.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 65
Yes, that's the one. I'm not sure the buyer got the best choice for his purpose. He took the excellent reports I'd made about the capabilities of my 6.5C to indicate the possibilities of ANY 6.5C.
The 6.5C is a very efficient cartridge but the 16" barrel may be a handicap efficiency simply can't overcome. And the noise/muzzle flash is simply a 'no go' for me. It was late afternoon when they were shooting and I could see about 12" of flame out either side of the muzzle brake.