Having problems with Lee Turret. ...anyone else?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
Lee has a help video on adjusting the timing on the shaft that rides in the little square plastic thing...I had it "off" a bit for a while and figured I knew better and didn't need those darn pesky instructions...when I went by the instructions included with the press (after I found them) and looking at the vid...it went together perfectly and I've had absolutely no issues since...90% of the problems with the square timing collar is that the user does not take a full stroke up and down and they catch the corners part way moved...it needs a full stroke to the top and bottom after it's adjusted and it's never a problem after that....I use it as well as a single stage Lee Classic Cast...As to RCBS I had a rockchucker that threw primers all over the floor and had a feed tube of primers detonate years ago...the only thing RCBS I use is a 5-0-5 scale and it's one of the old ones before they were made in another country (think their presses are chinese)...It's like anything else...there are good ones and bad ones and good operators and not so good operators..Lee makes it easy if I just follow the instructions and take time.

hnusz

Bearcat
I have used a lee turret press for about four years. Loaded thousands of pistol rounds with it. One thing i found out about it is dont index it by hand with the indexing rod in place it will trash the ratchet fast. I use it mostly for rifle now so its indexed by hand kinda like having multiple single stage presses in one. Use a lee pro 1000 for my pistol rounds. I do not use the priming feature i prime off press as part of case prep. Tumble deprime prime 200 to a zip lock bag.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
If you notice,almost all help me posts are about Lee products. This is not personal, many reloaders years ago probably started off with Lee because its inexpensive always needing parts and breaking down.
This led to buying better equipment. When I read the problems I do feel bad about the problems and youa'll don't want to her it.

hnusz

Bearcat
Only problem I've had with mine was the ratchet. Don't index it by hand with the rod in place no problems. I'm a member on other forums and the biggest complaint about reloading presses is the priming system on all of them. Alot of people modify it to help make it work better or prime off press. I read a lot of posts before I started reloading and figured out that I was not going to prime while reloading. I tumble deprime and prime on my turret press I put the primers in the cup one at a time takes time but I'm not in any hurry. All primers are in correctly no upside down or sideways ones
It's one thing I don't have to watch for when I'm loading. Just my personal preference.

Rook

Blackhawk
sliclee said:
If you notice,almost all help me posts are about Lee products. This is not personal, many reloaders years ago probably started off with Lee because its inexpensive always needing parts and breaking down.
This led to buying better equipment. When I read the problems I do feel bad about the problems and youa'll don't want to her it.

Typical post from someone that's paid ten times to much for the equipment they use.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
NIKA wake up-cheap is cheap- THERE IS ONLY ONE TURRET PRESS REDDINGS-it will last 100 years only one bering might be needed- mine is over 50 years- I have 5 different plates-each plate has its own bearing-each a rifle caliber for varmints-ammo made perfect 100%- was my first reloading machine
ask anyone who ownes one- I also have 2 DILLON 650's there is NONE better.
We only have so much time use it well

NikA

Buckeye
Hmm, cast part, creates a torque by design, countered only by the tolerances on other cast parts? I'm so impressed, I think I'll pay 3x as much for the press and 5x as much for each turret!

You can debate the merits of your press until you're blue in the face. Lee's design is functional and utilitarian, and at an attractive price point. Makes sense to me. Then again, I considered buying a Niva because anything that could possibly go wrong could be fixed in a home shop with handtools. Guess we probably just have different objectives. Mine is not to disparage people on the basis of their choice of equipment.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Paying twice the price of a Lee press to avoid replacing a two dollar part every five years sounds like Obama's economic policy.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
(hnusz)One thing i found out about it is dont index it by hand with the indexing rod in place it will trash the ratchet fast.
[/quote]If you don't rotate the turret backwards, the ratchet takes no stress. Unfortunately, it is easy to counter-rotate. Even just a little could be problematic.

(sliclee)
THERE IS ONLY ONE TURRET PRESS REDDINGS-i
I can state without fear of contradiction that the Lee Classic Turret is the best 4-station auto-indexing press in current production anywhere in the world. Of course, there is only one other, the slightly inferior Lee Deluxe Turret press. My point (and weveral others here, too) that you get what you pay for and Lee is great value for the money. Redding is great value for the money, too, but only if it fits your needs. Lee turrets change in seconds, the spent primer handling is second to none, the Lee Safety prime fills quicker than any other and is safer and very reliable. This fills my needs better than the Redding. That's why I bougnt what I did. I am sure that's why you bought what you did. I am glad you are happy with your choice.
(nvbirdman)
Paying twice the price of a Lee press to avoid replacing a two dollar part
Yes, but you are buying from the wrong vendor. They are readily available for $1 for two square ratchets. The indexing arm being protected by the sacrificial square ratchet is the $6 indexing arm (also plastic).

RandyP

Bearcat
I must have another one of those 'faulty' Lee Classic Turret presses. been reloading on it for 7 years and using the same plastic square ratchet that came with the press. I followed the instructions....like a fool.... and don't try and rotate the turret when the ram is at the end of a stroke. I rotates freely when the ram is positioned about half-way.

I will add that the very BEST aftermarket accessory for this fine machine is the Inline Fabrication case ejector system. it turns an very affordable GREAT auto-indexing turret press into a veritable 'poor man's' progressive press. $65 well spent if you ask me....which you didn't - lol

http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee/products/case-ejector-for-the-lee-classic-turret-reverse-rotation

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
and don't try and rotate the turret when the ram is at the end of a stroke. I rotates freely when the ram is positioned about half-way.
Randy, I beg your pardon, that is not the way to avoid breaking the square ratchet when counter-rotating the turret disk.

The Square ratchet engages notches inside the indexing arm. The only time the square ratched can be broken is when it is engaged with those notches. (and the disk is counter-rotated or the ram attempts to move a jammed disk)

These notches are cut in the ceiling of the cavity inside the indexing arm. The square ratchet engages the notches whenever the last movement of the ram was downward relative to the indexing rod.

You can ensure the square ratchet id disengaged in two ways: 1) Ensure the last movement of the ram was UP (just a little will do) or 2) grab the indexing rod and lift it (there is a little play available) up, down. The square ratchet has (or should have) enough friction drag on the rod that it will be forced to the bottom of the cavity in the indexing arm, thus disengaged from the notches.

Good luck

RandyP

Bearcat
I happily stand corrected - since I've not managed to break the one that came on the machine 7 years ago, I must be handling the turret correctly but describing it wrongly?

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
RandyP said:
I happily stand corrected - since I've not managed to break the one that came on the machine 7 years ago, I must be handling the turret correctly but describing it wrongly?
You are not alone. The three most common things to say about how to break the square ratchet is to move the turret manually 1) when the indexing arm is on the twisted part of the indexing rod, 2) when the ram is at either end of a stroke or 3) in the opposite direction of its normal rotation.

None are true (100% of the time). Being at the bottom of the stroke is sometimes true unless you already lifted and dropped the rod. Being on the twisted part, I haven't figured out for sure yet where that idea came from.

I spent a lot of time studying on this question. I have not yet broken a square ratchet. I still have my spare square ratchet slid up to the top of the indexing rod. It is out of the way there, yet easily available if/when I need it.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
nvbirdman said:
Paying twice the price of a Lee press to avoid replacing a two dollar part every five years sounds like Obama's economic policy.

Mike Dillon is without a doubt the world's greatest salesman of extended warranties.

A Lee press is guaranteed for life against defects in parts and workmanship. It's not guaranteed for life against abuse and neglect, but Dillon is. That's what you're paying twice as much for, the abuse and neglect warranty.

RandyP

Bearcat
I think you might be surprised by how often Lee WILL replace for free parts damaged by self-admitted improper usage. They've done it for me and I reckon I'm NOT special or unique - lol

I try to avoid paint color wars on reloading presses. I sleep well knowing that most everyone makes a 'good' product. For example, were Lee as horrid as some would make out, they wouldn't still be in business since the 50's. Much the same as if Dillon were the ONLY best answer to a reloader's needs, they wouldn't have any viable competition.

I often comment on various forums that one of the great things about the reloading hobby is that there IS a way for all to participate at their interest and budget level.

Besides all Dillon owners are just Camdex wanna-be's - LOL - as he dons his Kevlar/Nomex clothing.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RandyP said:
I often comment on various forums that one of the great things about the reloading hobby is that there IS a way for all to participate at their interest and budget level.

Hi,

Randy, please keep flying that banner!

I, too (and we've got lots of company in this thought!), have commented how one of the great things about the reloading hobby is that there are many ways to skin the cat as it were, and the reason there are so many choices of equipment to do the exact same job is that folks try different things, find what they like that works for them, and carry on from there.

I'm sure many here are familiar with the name David Tubb, arguably one of the best competitive long range rifle shooters of our time. There's a story about a 1000 yd record he held for a number of years, fired using ammo put together with one of those Lee "get out your hammer" kits. Today, David's got rifles at least partly designed by, and named after, him, cartridges he's worked on or developed, and is able to use whatever he thinks is "the best" FOR HIM. It's not the tool, but the technician using it, which contributes most to producing the result desired...

Rick C