Have a GP100 44 SPL? Happy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Just wondering what the experience has been for those with the new .44 SPL.?

The accuracy?

Any issues with the action?

Any trouble seen with the thin forcing cone? (reminds me the S&W 696).

Thanks.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I've got one and like it a lot.
No issues with the action, or anything else. The only thing I don't like, is the fit of the front sight. There's a small gap between the bottom of the blade and the base.

I REALLY like the one I have. It had some metal shavings in the guts that weren't any trouble to clean up. Gave me a reason to disassemble and slick things up. Before I shot it I was concerned about the F/O front sight. However, my 69 year old eyes can really pick it up easily.I put a pair of the original GP100 grips on it which, for me, made it more comfortable to shoot the same loads as my Flattop 44 spcl Bisley. I find the double action my preferred method of firing which is unusual for me. I got a simply -rugged pancake holster and belt which make for a very comfortable crossdraw carry. I'd been waiting a long time to get a GP100 44 - even considered buying a used GP and sending it to a custom gunny. While trying to decide I bought a Model 69 S&W. Haven't even taken it out of the safe since I got the GP100.

I don't own one, but I've shot my buddy's...with my handload developed for my 2 SA's. It shoots on par with every other 3" revolver I shoot; 5 shots in <1.5" @ 50 feet benched. The DA is extremely easy to stack; can't say I've ever shot one that was easier.

I find the gap unsightly (pretty good, huh?), but he doesn't seem to mind. Being a purely cosmetic issue, I'd make it disappear in a heartbeat with some black JB weld and a razorblade trim...no harm, no foul.

choirboy

Bearcat
I have trouble benching the gun with the fiber optic sight. However firing double action offhand the sight and smooth trigger make this gun one of my most fun shooters. I am not good offhand. Definitely not double action but this gun makes it a joy. My usual load is with Unigue and 240 grain hard cast swc. Shoots just as good. Hope this helps.

roashooter

Single-Sixer
I'm the same as choirboy....the FO does not/did not work for me.....a call to Ruger CS...and three days later had a replacement front sight....with the brass bed....NO charge....Ruger CS sure tries hard to make things right

Lastround

Bearcat
Like shootinfule, I put the old style grips (compacts) on mine and it has become one of my favorite revolvers. Certainly the most carried.

Lastround

Bearcat
roashooter said:
I'm the same as choirboy....the FO does not/did not work for me.....a call to Ruger CS...and three days later had a replacement front sight....with the brass bed....NO charge....Ruger CS sure tries hard to make things right

Does the brass bead sight you got from Ruger fit better than the original fiber optic sight?

DPris

Buckeye
Both are from Novak, fit should be the same.
Where the difference typically lies is in the dovetail cut.
Denis