Hammer Replacement on a "Vaquero"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rockymtnhi

Bearcat
I have a Stainless Vaquero in .357 magnum (serial number starts with two numbers) and want to replace the hammer. I have replaced the hammer on a New Vaquero before with a Super Blackhawk hammer. My question is will the Super Blackhawk hammer drop in the older Vaquero as it did in my New Vaquero? Or do I need to modify it ?

rockymtnhi

Bearcat
O.K. I'm an expert in assembly and disassembly of a Ruger Vaquero! Got my new Super Blackhawk hammer from Midway this afternoon. Watched the Ruger video's on assembly and disassembly a few times. Took me about four times to get it back together right. I kept missing the tip of the spring under the loading gate (it wasn't seated in the notch) so even tho I reassembled everything I thought was right, it was binding the action. I fianally saw the problem and everything is nice and smooth now and works great! I put a Super Blackhawk hammer in a new Vaquero several years ago, but guess I forgot a step or two.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bravo!!

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner but for future reference:

#2. MY SHORTCUT FOR REMOVING JUST HAMMER and/or PAWL in New Models:

Recognize, when JUST NEEDING to remove the hammer and/or pawl, you do not need to hassle with the PESKY LOADING GATE SPRING, pull the trigger pin, nor trigger/transfer bar. Once you remove the grip frame, the hammer pin is the only other part you need to remove. After that, just pull the hammer back and all the way down, then depress the hammer plunger up into the base of the hammer with a small tipped screwdriver to clear the trigger extension with hole in it where the transfer bar connects to it. Let the hammer & pawl fall back, down and out. Reinstall the hammer and pawl back in the same way they came out. Push the plunger in by pushing it against the trigger extension just like you did with the tip of the small screwdriver, and the hammer will slip by the trigger extension. Piece o' cake.

NOTE: Occasionally a changed hammer that doesn't cock or just barely cocks is because it's hitting the back of the slot in the grip frame. I have had to slightly lengthen the slot with a few file strokes.
If either the trigger or hammer pin are snug fits, after they're removed the first time, it's the opportunity to polish them so they are slip fits to put back in and remove the next time.