Ground Squirrel Hunting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I haven't been able to get out this Summer as much as I would like but did take a hike a few weeks ago to check a couple trail cameras.I have been carrying my bow to get a little stump shooting practice and hoped to get some shots at ground squirrels though they aren't too thick where I would be hiking.Antelope bow season is coming up Aug 15 so I try to shoot as much as I can.

I was warned that ground squirrels could drop down the hole before the arrow got there,except at short range.The first one I shot at was at 15 yds and he definitely was out of sight before the arrow hit.The second one was a little closer than that and same result.Still good practice.The third one was about 10 yds and he wasn't fast enough.The bow is a Bighorn,custom made for me in 1978 and is still going strong.
BearSeason2010253.jpg

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
After my hike,I went back to the area where I killed my bear in June to see who had been out and about since m abscence.The squirrels were a little wilder over there but I did manage to take this one at 42 paces with my Kimber Rimfire.I have to confess,I have neglected to give this gun the field time it deserves.It is one of the sweetest shooting handguns I have ever owned.It has a trigger like a fine match pistol and despite it's light weight,is so easy to hit with.
BearSeason2010255.jpg

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
This is an old water trough in a steep,thick,brush filled draw.This sow bear sneaked in through the shadows so you can't see her clearly.When she is in the open,she is actually a beautiful strawberry blonde.

Gulch010005.jpg

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
We had a mule deer die off a couple years ago so it was good to see this fawn.It has a lot of obstacles to face in the coming years.
Chute010168.jpg