Squirrel rifles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
Here in Utah these are more my jack rabbit / ground hog getters…

52974958045_69141a4432_b.jpg

Top to Bottom;
Brimstone Trigger 2#, my first build to play battle ship with.
BX Trigger 2.5# my submission of what the 50 year gun. (should of been)
BX Trigger 2.2# just had to have the Ruger Custom Shop Competition.
Franklin Armory Binary Trigger, when one looses his mind…🙄
All except the Competition get a regular diet of CCI HV feed thru BX25 mags.

Last edited:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Sure wish the wood on the deck looked as good as the wood on the 10-22's.

Nice looking rifles but all I could think of when I saw this picture was one of those tell me memes you know like tell me you're right handed without telling me you're right handed. LOL

AJGUNNER: Your 10/22 collection looks great, and I love those laminated thumbhole stocks. (I have one on a Marlin 22Mag bolt-action SS target rifle.). What primary difference is there between each rifle? Which of them would be your best setup and why? As someone who confessed to often having multiples of (seemingly) the same thing, I always find enough difference between the items to justify having more than one that looks identical to the casual observer.

AJGUNNER: Your 10/22 collection looks great, and I love those laminated thumbhole stocks. (I have one on a Marlin 22Mag bolt-action SS target rifle.). What primary difference is there between each rifle? Which of them would be your best setup and why? As someone who confessed to often having multiples of (seemingly) the same thing, I always find enough difference between the items to justify having more than one that looks identical to the casual observer.
The one at the bottom is my original late 70's 10-22. Only light trigger work but still factory barrel and guts. Then I discovered the 20 and 22 inch factory barrels so had to try those---just to play with. I have an old nagging wrist injury so the thumb hole stocks are more comfortable for me. But then if you look at the angle of the pistol grips on the different stocks, there is a big difference and at some point I discovered the more swept back style is more comfortable for me. When the .920 barrels came along I had to try one. Then I stumbled onto the lightweight barrels and had to try one of those. Discovered the heavy barrels were just that---heavy, and really didn't shoot that much better. Then there is the scope differences---I like the 2.5x10 tasco with mil dots for the shooting I do the most of. Of course then you have the whole A/O or not A/O to deal with. At one time I zeroed different rifles at different ranges. Eventually ended up with zero set at 75-80 yards, which keeps me within MOA sage rat between 25 and 100 yards. Then there is the huge factor of cleaning. The sage rat killing fields I shoot on vary in distance between 300 and 500 miles from home. When you you go this far too shoot for a couple of days, I don't waste time cleaning because this can be done at home. So when one starts acting up after 700-1000 rounds, it goes back in the truck and I grab another. That pretty much sums it up except for the fact that all of these are what I have termed "classic" 10-22's. This means pre plastic parts.

This should give you a good idea of sage rats. These are on alfalfa fields just before spring green up. Once it starts to grow it become more of a challenge---only head shots as they stand up to look around. I have been doing this every spring since the late 70's. A guy can burn through 500 to 2000 rounds per day real easy. A good day is 400-600 confirmed kills per guy, per day. My personal best day was real close to 1000 for the day. I wore a clicker counter on my belt. The shot distances range from right under your feet, to as far as you can see. We often leave a centerfire on a bench for the longer shots, but with the mil dot scopes it is fairly east to shoot regular 22lr out to around 125 yards. Beyond this it is either guessing/mortar fire or switch to centerfire. For a size reference --- these range in size from mouse size (babies) to right around pop can size. Even the largest sway belly fatties would drop into a soda can. We were told by one farmer that he figured he lost 40% of his first cutting. Once the temps climb they pretty much go under ground until the next spring.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great use for a 22 rifle (killing rats)! It's probably good they're semi-auto, too, given the number of rats. I'm sure there's probably a bunch of us on this forum that would love to help you out with that chore.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I love using the .22 CB Longs..... In between a 22LR and a 22SR......can be very quiet and still ruin a tree rat's day......