GP100 Optics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eo1bart

Bearcat
I recently bought a GP100-6" barrel and really like it. I'm think of putting a red dot type sight on it.
I have scopes on a few of my rifles, but have never used a red dot.

The other thing is the mounting system. I would prefer not to have to drill the frame. So far I found theses two;

http://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-RR

I sort of like the idea of the JP. Any recommendations on the sight and mount would be appreciated

s4s4u

Hunter
Which red dot sight were you looking at? The JP mount works for the JPoint, but not some of the others. A member here makes and sells a similar mount which he claims works for many of the various sights, you can find his ad in the classifieds. If you are going with a small reflex type of sight I recommend mounting it as close to the bore as possible. That Weigand will require the picatinny mount on the sight which will raise it considerably which can make it difficult to "find" the dot quickly.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
The weigand mount is very solid , I have this mount with the vortex venom red dot sight on my gp100 6" midway usa has both , probably run you around $300 or a little less with free shipping, I highly recommend this setup

22/45 Fan

Hunter
+1 on the Weigand mount. Buy the full length one if you plan to run a scope or red dot that require two mounting rings or expect to shoot a lot of heavy loads. Buy the "mini" one if you are going to use a short red dot. The short mount will let the revolver fit a lot of common holsters while the full length is much more limiting.

eo1bart

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
+1 on the Weigand mount. Buy the full length one if you plan to run a scope or red dot that require two mounting rings or expect to shoot a lot of heavy loads. Buy the "mini" one if you are going to use a short red dot. The short mount will let the revolver fit a lot of common holsters while the full length is much more limiting.

Perfect! The short one is just what I was looking for. Thanks