GP100, Canted Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob1943

Bearcat
Do any of you guys have a GP100 with a canted barrel?

I bought a new 3" GP100 about a year ago and was not aware of what a canted barrel was at that time. Read about the issue on some forums about 3 months ago and immediately grabbed all my revolvers and checked the barrels. They all looked good except for my 3" GP100. It was overclocked by about 1 degree.

I measured the distance from the top of the frame to the barrel rib on both the right and left sides of the barrel. Right side was .041" and the left was .048". So the difference is .007" which is equivalent to 1/143 of an inch.

Does not sound like much, but it is visible when looking down the barrel from the muzzle end.

Pictures are better than words, so the attached pics show the degree of cant. Kind of hard to see it until you zoom in and draw the yellow lines parallel to the barrel ribs vs the top of frame.

I contacted Ruger and they told me to take it to the range and shoot it at 15 yards and send them a picture of the target. My range only has 11-yard and 25-yard range lines to bracket that distance. I shot with my hands on a sandbag. At 11-yards, I had about a 6.5" group, with holes to both the right & left of the bullseye. At 25-yards, the grouping was about 7", but I only got 8 of 13 rounds on an 8" target.

I had a real problem with the black front sight blade against the black target background, very difficult to get a good sight picture. To compound the problem, I shoot with bifocals, so you either see the target in focus or the front sight, not both at the same time.

I just painted the front sight blade red, so I will hit the range again and see if I can aim a little better and see if there is a consistant grouping trend.

From the forum postings that I have read there is a wide range of opinions on canted barrels, i.e., some folks say anything less than a perfectly clocked barrel is unacceptable and the gun should go back, while others say if it shoots straight don't worry about it. Esthetics & symmetry are a little bit of an issue with me (probably because I am an engineer), but this barrel is not grossly canted. I am a little undecided at this point (even it it shoots straight during the next range session) as to whether to ask Ruger to straighten the barrel. They might come back and say the degree of cant is within acceptaed tolerances.

IMG_6814_zps473d544f.jpg

IMG_6828_zpsb1d57b15.jpg

RugerBarrel-4_zpsee734498.jpg

RugerBarrel-5_zps1d2837c2.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Guessing I'm overly simple 'cause I'd say if you want it fixed, simply send it to Ruger. Never heard of them refusing a gun or NOT making one right.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Most people would never notice a barrel canted that little. But, I know that once you know it ,it will bug you,it would me.
I returned my SP101 .22 to Ruger for the same reason and they fixed it. Now it has an adjustable sight so clocking the front sight has nothing to do with the point of impact.
I would call them again and tell them you are not happy the way it is. They will fix the problem I am sure.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I would go ahead and have it returned for straightening. If it were mine it would bug me every time I looked at it. The time it will take to have it rectified is a small price to pay to have a pistol that is right.

Bob1943

Bearcat
I have had the gun for over a year now. Don't know if Ruger has a policy where they will not pay for shipping on a gun purchased over a year ago. If I were going to get stuck with an $80 round trip shipping fee, I think I might just live with the small degree of cant. Plus, the last 2 guns that I have sent back to Ruger for finish flaws came back with the original flaws corrected, but they also had new scratches that were not on the gun when it was sent to them, So, you never know if getting one issue fixed might lead to new problems.

Here is another picture looking through the rear sight. Doubt if anyone looking at this sight picture would guess that there was a cant to the barrel. I am taking it back to the range on Tuesday morning for one more session off of sand bags, and, with the new red-painted front sight blade. Then I will decide whether to call Ruger back.
RugerGP100-3-InchRearSight_zps98e1ee2c.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
After seeing that picture, I don`t think I would even consider having anything done to it. It is not a high dollar custom gun after all. If it were mine,I would not change a thing. Looks fine to me.
The last one I sent back on my dime cost me a little more than 10 cents. Actually it was $107.00 to ship UPS. A 12 year old .41 Mag that had the front sight soldered on crooked at the factory. I bought it NIB but 12 years old. Ruger repaired if for free and it came home in much better condition ,finish wise, as it was when they shipped it from the factory to begin with. I would do it again in a New York minute.

Bob1943

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
After seeing that picture, I don`t think I would even consider having anything done to it. It is not a high dollar custom gun after all. If it were mine,I would not change a thing. Looks fine to me.

Well, I agree that the imperceptable amount of barrel overclocking seen in that picture does not warrant $80 to $100 in shipping fees to get fixed, when the gun only cost $539 + tax.

If you look straight down the rear sight channel, the front sight blade will be a little bit to the left side. So I have to turn the gun just a smidgen to the right to get the front sight centered in the rear channel slot as seen in the picture. But even then, the front sight blade is pretty much vertical, i.e., no perceptable angle to the vertical.

I'll see how it shoots tomorrow at the range. As stated in the original post, I was not getting a consistent trend in the shot groups the first time out, but I attribute that to the black sight on a black target. If it shoots straight tomorrow with the red front sight, I will just have to learn to live with the slightly unsymmetrical esthetics. I have heard that gun manufacturers sometimes intentionally over or under clock a barrel to get POA = POI.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
COOL ! Let us know how it goes.
I have a 3" fixed sight GP and it is just SUPER accurate. Factory regulated to hit right on top of the front sight at 30', just the way I like em. :D