GP 100 broken rear sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joezilla

Bearcat
I went shooting today for the first time in a great while. When I pulled out the GP 100, I noticed that there was something "off" about the rear sight. I went ahead and shot several cylinders without a problem. I finally noticed that it was broken when packing it up to go home. It actually is broken in half. I am unable to get the pict to show up though.

/Users/rvJoe/Desktop/IMG_0551.JPG

How difficult is the rear sight to replace? Where do I get one? I did the front sight myself the second time I took it shooting.

Joe

Joezilla

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack said:
Call Ruger, they will send you a new one. I haven't ever changed on so can't tell you how difficult it is.

Do you have a range report in general?

The range visit today was a short reconnect with all my firearms. I shot several cylinders through the GP 100, the J frame 642, the Ruger LCR 22 lr, the XD Mod 2 subcompact, and also my newest purchase, a Shield 9mm with the green CT laser. All guns performed well. My accuracy was off due to not having shot in several months. It was a fun day and I plan to do it again next week. Cleaning all the guns was fun too. I forgot how much I enjoy cleaning them.

Joe

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
After you un-screw the elevation screw and push the pin out be sure to let the sight come up slowly. There are two small springs under there. When you replace the sight a dab of lite grease on the bottom of the springs will hold them in place while you put the screw and pin back in. :D

Midway has rear sights also.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/643810/ruger-rear-sight-complete-assembly-ruger-gp100-redhawk-super-redhawk-454-casull-480-ruger

contender

Ruger Guru
Call Ruger,, they will ship you a rear sight blade for free.
Changing one,,, not hard. A little wiggling involved,,, but not hard.
Remove the adjusting screw. Insert a THIN, flat skinny screwdriver blade into the hole to depress the spring on the opposite end of the blade. (They make a special tool for this,,, but basically you have to be able to get the spring compressed w/o moving the blade.)
Then, lift out the rear blade from the top.
To re-insert,,, compress the spring,,, insert the blade,,, making sure the hook end is able to hook into the coil of the spring. Relax your pressure on the spring,,, and take your tool out of the slot. Insert the adjusting screw & you are done,,, aside from adjusting the blade.

The special tool is a slender shaft, with a half moon shaped end. It compresses the spring,,, yet allows for the blade clearance. A cheap jewelers screwdriver with a notch cut in the blade, (to hook the spring,) will work as well.

Joezilla

Bearcat
I put in my order for a new sight blade and the slender insert grips from Ruger. How quickly does Ruger ship stuff?

Joe

contender

Ruger Guru
A broken rear blade doesn't need a whole new sight assy. It'd be wrong to ask Ruger to replace that assy when the blade is the issue.

Ruger is pretty quick about shipping stuff.

Joezilla

Bearcat
Just got the email from Ruger that my sight and grip have shipped. I should have it by the end of the week.

Joe

Latest posts