Good friends, Good food, and Good guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I had my good friend, Mike Barranti down from my homestate of PA. for the opening day firearms season of Md. Mike arrived on Fri. afternoon. We spent the day preparing dinner, going to the farm We would be hunting to attach my climber treestand to the spot I would be hunting .

Dinner consisted of BBQ spare ribs and beef brisket, sixshot taters, cornbread, and salad. Desert consisted of Idaho huckleberry and blueberry cobbler baked in none other than a cast iron dutch oven.

016.jpg

Dutch oven cobbler

After dinner, we stayed up late talking guns and our hunting strategy for the morning opener. Mike would be carrying his beloved Mary gun, a blued S&W model 29-2, with the prettiest ivory grips you ever saw. I would be carrying a converted Ruger Bisley in .475 Linebaugh done by the man himself. This was acquired from fellow brother Zeus, Glenn Swaggart. My load consisted of the RCBS 400 gr. SWC, which drop at 415 grs., with my alloy of WW/leadshot, over 24.0 grs. of H110 for 1200 fps.

Opening day was a cold, blustery day with a high of 37 degrees, partnered with a 20 mph wind which sucked the heat from you. We hunted hard all day. Staying out in weather like that for 12 hrs. straight takes alot out of a man. By the end of the day, Mike and I could barely walk, our mouths were froze shut, and we were cold, tired, and hungry!

019.jpg

020-1.jpg

We had a pretty good day! The deer were moving! Seen some nice bucks, and plenty of does and fawns. When restricting yourself to a sixgun, you know you are limited to the range of your shots. This is part of the fun of handgun hunting, for when you do get something, it is an accomplishment. Any deer is a trophy with a sixgun! As sixshot says, you never master the handgun, anything taken is something to be truely proud.

As Mike was my guest, I tried my darndest to get him on a deer. He saw plenty, and if he were rifle hunting, he would have had a nice buck. However, being from the sixgunner mold, Mike chose to stick with his sixgun, and had to watch him run off. As a sixgunner, this happens more time than not.

By around lunch time, hunters start getting hungry, and tired of sitting on stand. Besides the morning, this is one of the best times to stay in the woods, as the departing hunters get the deer moving again. As luck would have it, about 10 does and fawns were grouped up and were about 60 yards away. Now was my time. I unholstered my converted Linebaugh, lined up the Bowen rear sight to the .10" front sight, getting perfect sight alignment. I then placed the sights on the largest doe, and obtained my sight picture, tight behind her shoulder, and started my trigger squeeze. The gun roared, and surprised me! Never felt the recoil. The doe slammed to the ground on impact. WOW! Very impressive. She never knew what hit her. I saw her struggle to try to regain her footing, and promptly put a finisher in her neck. The gun was now properly blooded, along with my Bill Snow blade.
P1010141.jpg

downsized951127001212.jpg

Investigation revealed my first shot struck her in the ham and exited her back. She was quartering away from me, most likely at an angle sharper than I realized. As I was in a tree, I was also shooting thru some branches. I don't know if the cast bullet deflected off one of the branches, or what? I was surprised it struck that far back, but the exit wound was very impressive, and was bleeding like something out of a horror movie. Sometimes the unexplained happens in the field, and this is one of them. That big cast bullet still hit hard, knocking her down, and I am impressed. The second shot struck where intended, so I'm assuming it was the branches that caused a deflection. Either way, I got my deer.

Mike and I were like 2 old men that night. Stiff and sore from being ouside all day. A dinner of pizza and hot wings hit the spot, along with a few malted beverages. Sleep came very easy that night.

Sun. morning came and a breakfast of leftover dutch oven taters and huckleberry/blueberry cobbler was consumed as I said farewell to my friend as we planned a late season doe hunt in Jan. Till then..........

022.jpg

Mike Barranti calls to order the Callshot Fan Club in full formal garb!

Zeus

Blackhawk
Damn! that's a LOT of plaid!!!

Glad you two had a chance to hunt! Hang in there Mike, your shot will come. You have to understand that Jeff has some sort of aura about him that makes animals come to him. I was standing next to him in ID and just about had to shoot a charging moose that was trying to get to him. Don't even get me started on what may have happened with the buffalo if I wasn't there. :)
All kidding aside, great shooting Jeff! I've come to see that our brother Jeff is a great shot in the field. Lots of us can do it on the range and when punching holes in paper but Jeffrey does a REALLY good job shooting in the field. From hammering elk farther than all of us last year to whacking deer in the NE, he may well follow in the meathammer's footsteps afterall. When I grow up, I want to be just like him :) Way to go buddy!!

flatgate

Hawkeye
The cobbler looks "killer" and so does MB!

Great pics, great stories! Thanks for sharing!

flatgate

MB, you are a much stronger individual than I....... :D

callshot

Blackhawk
Nice hunt and with good friends. Sorry I wasn't able to be there to witness it in person. Nice plaids!!! I got the vest, but the bottoms have Polar bears holding a coke bottle on them. Did Mike vote you back in as president of the club again :?: :wink: Way to go Jeff & Mike. :D Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,,, a good time was had by them two rascals. But,, Glen,,, as I recall it,, my shot on elk was the longest range at 156,,, BUT,,,, Jeff's was the longest sixgun shot. Mine was a whimy single-shot,,, Contender,,,! (Go figure.)
Good food,, good friends,, time spent in the great woods that Mother Nature can offer,, and we can all smile at it knowing how it was.

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, congratulations on your deer with the new 475, ya done good! I think your shooting is catching up to your cooking....excellent! Wish the HideStretcher would have scored, he will next time.

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Tyrone, I actually shot a 9 pointer opening day in PA with my Bisley Hunter .45 colt. My cousins Brother-In-Law wounded it, and I finished it off for him at 70 yds. He only had 1 day to hunt and I gladly gave it to him, to keep me hunting. It has been raining all day today, and it looks like I'll be eating tag soup from PA. Never got a picture of the Buck. I left the camera in my stand and the brother -in -law was anxious to get the buck out of there before I changed my mind ! :lol:

Zeus

Blackhawk
Good shootin' Hammer Jr. :) Bad when the pistolero has to shoot 70 yards to retrieve the rifle guys deer isn't it buddy :)

contender

Ruger Guru
As you can see by my post,, my Contender has added another notch. It was only about 55 yds,, but no one wounded it for me first,,,! :D
I still have 5 tags,, and 3-1/2 weeks to go,,,!
(I don't plan on filling all the tags.)

Zeus

Blackhawk
I have been meaning to ask you which bullet you were using on that hunt and went back and found it in the original post. Glad to see that slug is working out for you. What were you using in the 45 Colt? Still shooting the 260 Keith that you had with you in Idaho?

mraywi

Single-Sixer
Hoover is learning from sixshot, damn they are good at taking us on their adventures!!! Thanks for the story and the pics!! MRW

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
That sounds like a really nice weekend, notwithstanding the cold weather. I don't hunt, but I sure love good food and spending time outdoors with good friends. Thanks for sharing the story and pics!

Latest posts