Good Advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
Boy is this ever true :D :D

12011208_902451013180464_78618378930204873_n.jpg

exavid

Hunter
Yep, It worked for me. Aircraft, snowmobiles, boats, motorcycles and guns. They do keep people from wasting their money.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Oh so true! Around here an hours instruction and 172SP rental will cost $199.00. I had to stop flying as I could no longer afford to fly AND pursue my gun habit. :roll: :D

bogus bill

Hunter
Whatcha trying to do? Get me in trouble with my wife? Had this Citabria for 38 years and just got it restored again.

opos

Buckeye
In the late 60's we lived fairly near Torrance airport..My oldest Son (now a Grandad) was really interested in airplanes and the airport..He flew some with me in earlier years...he got his first "lesson" on his 15th birthday...then got a "job" cleaning up around one of the FBO's at Torrance and swapped his work for lessons and time...he soloed on his 16th birthday with about 100 hours or so...he flew a Citabria and loved it...he did something that I never cared to do...he flew to Catalina frequently..kind of an interesting approach and runway on Catalina...he doesn't fly these days (his time is either fishing or working in the fishing industry) but still has great memories of the time at Torrance.

bogus bill

Hunter
Got to tell part of the story how I got into flying. I started out in 1965 or 1966 when I worked at Lockheed Burbank. They had a club that was mostly made up of some Lockheed pilots etc. We had three planes, a Luscombe that I soloed in, a Cessna 150 and a Cessna 170. Buying into the club was $800`s which I got back when I sold my membership. Dues were about $12s a month. The Luscombe was I think, $3 a hour, the 150 was $5 and the 170 $7s, all wet! Those prices sound unbelievable today unless your a old man.
Even back then at those prices getting the money was still hard as I made about $1.50/$2.00 a hour as a new guard at Lockheed. Seems to me my instructor was $5/hour. I soloed and quit before I got my license.
Some years later I inherited some money from a favorite bachelor uncle. Uncle Eldon was in the 82nd and the Gliders. He was highly decorated and had what they later named PSTD. He lived with me a short time while recovering from open heart surgery in 1972. He had a stroke on the operating table and couldn't control his emotions. I know it embarrassed him. He told me I was going to inherit some money and instructed me to blow it on something I always wanted to do! He said he wished he had blown it. Soon after that he committed suicide.
I bought a Piper Tri pacer to get my license. I figure I owe him to tell this story.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
opos said:
In the late 60's we lived fairly near Torrance airport..

Hi,

Opos, when did that airport "disappear" into the housing tracts? I worked just a few blocks from Torrance airport for about three years in the mid-'70s. It was quite the busy place, though it seemed like an odd location for a general aviation airport as the area was pretty heavily developed by then. But a couple of locals told me when it was built in the early '40s, all the surrounding land was either farmed or just wide open, so it was way out past the "edge of town" back then.

I understand it's still going strong, despite efforts to shut it down in the name of safety or heavy noise restrictions, like so many other SoCal GA airports. Dunno when they changed the name, but today it's also called Zamperini Field, after the late Louis Zamperini, the Torrance "hometown boy" who became the Olympic athlete and WWII hero of the story "Unbroken."

Rick C

Latest posts