Getting Trolled on my First Post

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
44Alaskan said:
On my first post in this fourum I talk about clearly seeing a bear and waisting my time with binoculars when I had a scope on my rifle, the bear got away. I was well within range to take the bear.
Some Trolls on this forum are twisting my statements around quite viscously. Here is the post.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=262065
Instead of taking the bait and getting into a back and forth I thought I would educate the forum on what an Internet Troll is.

Troll
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

I would have informed the lady (politely) that you
had the legal right to carry in the national forest, then
offered to call the game warden for her.
Upon his arrival, I would have asked him to charge
the lady with harassment.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
contender said:
First off,,, "Welcome to the Forum!

Now,, I too do not feel the other thread is an example of trolling. You chose to use that description. And, as noted above,, by 2 moderators,,, do not see it as trolling.

But,, if you read my brief bio below, you will see I am a Hunter Safety Instructor. So,,,, I see this;

"The discussion was looking at a bear through a rifle scope during bear season. Now it has been flipped to looking at people through a rifle scope. This is a prime example of Trolling which is the post topic."

And I had to POLITELY respond. People are killed every year by hunters,,, who fail to properly identify the game animal. A pair of binoculars is the SAFE way to observe anything in the woods,,, prior to deciding to shoot at it. While we like to think we are the only human around,,, we do not always know who else may be nearby.
Just today,,, I heard a story about a deer hunter that was in a remote, deep ravine area,, hard to access. He heard a deer coming,,, and about the time he saw it,,, he heard a shot. His words were; "It scared me out of my boots!" He had NO clue the other hunter was nearby.

I teach safety. I would hope you'd reconsider the use of your rifle scope, while mounted on the gun to study any game. Think like this; How would you feel if you were hunting,,, and caught a glimpse of "something" and looked through your bino's & saw another human aiming a rifle at you? You'd NOT know the other person's intentions,, and most of use here consider a pointed firearm at us a danger.

So,, some folks have expressed their concerns about your idea of just using a scope on the rifle as a method of game spotting. I have to ask; How will you explain to some kids somewhere if you think you spotted & shot a game animal that turned out to be a human? (And we won't get into the potential criminal investigation that will happen.)

Here in my local area,, 4 years ago,, a young man, out deer hunting,,, saw what he thought was a deer. Looking through his scope,,, he identified it as a deer, and shot. He killed an unarmed man,, who was wearing a brown coat,,, digging roots.

Think it still can't happen? What about the potential of a negligent discharge??? "But,, I was just spotting game & the gun just accidentally went off officer,,, honest!"

Please,,, for the safety of all of us,,, AND,,, (really think of this) the image you give to non-hunters by using a firearm mounted scope in the way you mentioned.

Personally,,, I think of my binoculars as an essential piece of equipment. If I need to save weight somewhere,,, I can find other ways.

Nope,,, not trolling,,, just trying to have a polite, educational discussion.

Contender,
I just read the post in question, and saw nothing about looking at people through the
scope. Hell of a way to welcome a new member to the forum.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
contender said:
First off,,, "Welcome to the Forum!

Now,, I too do not feel the other thread is an example of trolling. You chose to use that description. And, as noted above,, by 2 moderators,,, do not see it as trolling.

But,, if you read my brief bio below, you will see I am a Hunter Safety Instructor. So,,,, I see this;

"The discussion was looking at a bear through a rifle scope during bear season. Now it has been flipped to looking at people through a rifle scope. This is a prime example of Trolling which is the post topic."

And I had to POLITELY respond. People are killed every year by hunters,,, who fail to properly identify the game animal. A pair of binoculars is the SAFE way to observe anything in the woods,,, prior to deciding to shoot at it. While we like to think we are the only human around,,, we do not always know who else may be nearby.
Just today,,, I heard a story about a deer hunter that was in a remote, deep ravine area,, hard to access. He heard a deer coming,,, and about the time he saw it,,, he heard a shot. His words were; "It scared me out of my boots!" He had NO clue the other hunter was nearby.

I teach safety. I would hope you'd reconsider the use of your rifle scope, while mounted on the gun to study any game. Think like this; How would you feel if you were hunting,,, and caught a glimpse of "something" and looked through your bino's & saw another human aiming a rifle at you? You'd NOT know the other person's intentions,, and most of use here consider a pointed firearm at us a danger.

So,, some folks have expressed their concerns about your idea of just using a scope on the rifle as a method of game spotting. I have to ask; How will you explain to some kids somewhere if you think you spotted & shot a game animal that turned out to be a human? (And we won't get into the potential criminal investigation that will happen.)

Here in my local area,, 4 years ago,, a young man, out deer hunting,,, saw what he thought was a deer. Looking through his scope,,, he identified it as a deer, and shot. He killed an unarmed man,, who was wearing a brown coat,,, digging roots.

Think it still can't happen? What about the potential of a negligent discharge??? "But,, I was just spotting game & the gun just accidentally went off officer,,, honest!"

Please,,, for the safety of all of us,,, AND,,, (really think of this) the image you give to non-hunters by using a firearm mounted scope in the way you mentioned.

Personally,,, I think of my binoculars as an essential piece of equipment. If I need to save weight somewhere,,, I can find other ways.

Nope,,, not trolling,,, just trying to have a polite, educational discussion.

Contender,
As quoted by you!"The discussion was looking at a bear through a rifle scope during bear season. Now it has been flipped to looking at people through a rifle scope. This is a prime example of Trolling which is the post topic."
When did the post become scoping at people???
Please cite this paragraph you quoted. I am embarrassed that a new member was treated
like this.
Blackie

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I've grown up in Montana and later in life, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota of probably hundreds of hunters I've encountered over the years I would say less than 10% were carrying binoculars. I know they just seem excess gear to me. And I have never glassed a human unexpectedly. I just never glass those blaze orange dots!
Welcome to the forum by the way. If you really want to get discouraged on your first week here try posting how much gun is necessary for bear, or SR 1911s are superior to Springfield Armory 1911 RO's or that American cars especially Jeeps are as good as Japanese cars. Any of those will start a war here, don't ask me how I know.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
44Alaskan said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
I read the post, didn't see any trolling just some questioning of your judgment using a scope to look at people. Might consider a hunter safety class.

The discussion was looking at a bear through a rifle scope during bear season. Now it has been flipped to looking at people through a rifle scope. This is a prime example of Trolling which is the post topic.

I AGREE; Some seem to need to reread your original post before falling for the trolls afterward.

wolfsong

Staff member
Blackie, with sincerity and all due respect, the OP was a lengthy expose' on numerous aspects of his experience while bear hunting and the resulting realizations that he came to that adjustments were necessary for his approach. Various members responded to various points and observations that he made. That is a natural progression when posting publicly on an open forum.

One of those observations of his regarded using his scope instead of binos. Some members shared their opinions and expertise on that particular matter, just as they did regarding the 10 mm. Again, that is how discussions work. If you put it out there, expect responses. Otherwise, why post?

The subsequent lessons that followed defining trolling and thread hijacking were hardly necessary or warranted. The Lord knows we've experienced plenty of both here over the years and in this case they don't apply, in the opinion, experience and wisdom of many.

My advice, as both a member and a moderator, to 44alaskan is to post to his heart's content, keep an opened mind, wear some thick skin, consider the opinions of others, take whatever advice that others offer as he sees fit and disregard the rest. The cumulative knowledge on this forum is incalculable and immeasurable; there is much to be shared and to be learned from, if so desired.

I must say that I have never in my many years here and as a shooter experienced anyone taking offense when the topic is gun safety. Regardless, no matter how offended one might be, that is NOT an area that can be glossed over.

44alaskan, welcome to the forum. As you can see, many of us are of strong opinion on this. Don't take it personal. We are family here, and we tend to not mince words. That's because we are comfortable and tolerant of each other and our individuality, even when we disagree, which is often. Take what you want or need and leave the rest. And have a good time here. We DO welcome you into this little family with open arms, even if we are a bit curmudgeonly at times. No harm intended, I can assure you.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong .

Colonialgirl said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
I read the post, didn't see any trolling just some questioning of your judgment using a scope to look at people. Might consider a hunter safety class.

He was LOOKING at a BEAR and so states!!

That part had me wondering how we went from looking at a bear with a scope to looking at a person with a scope...

Confusing to say the least.

I also agree with Wolfsong...Welcome to the forum, have fun posting and don't take things too personally. He is correct, we often do disagree and not mince words at times, but that can be a part of the fun also!

wolfsong

Staff member
Wendy, I think these two lines helped spark certain responses: "Being a novice" and "Why was I lugging around 2 pound binoculars on my chest when I had a 3x9 scope on on my rifle? My rifle scope can scout areas".

44Alaskan seems like a pretty savvy guy who wants to learn and does his homework. Some of us saw an opportunity to further his education concerning hunter safety and hunter etiquette. That's it, that's all.

cas6969

Buckeye
Hmmm... puzzled by the purpose of this thread. Nothing in this one that couldn't be in the first one.

Threads about other threads, never good.

Quote {Why was I lugging around 2 pound binoculars on my chest when I had a 3x9 scope on on my rifle? My rifle scope can scout areas and distinguish bear breeds.}

Using a rifle scope to "scout areas" your words is not considered safe. Scout enough country and at some point you aren't specifically checking out an animal, you will be noticing people. There was an incident in NY recently where a guy used his scope thinking he saw a deer and killed a woman. No where in hunter safety is a person encouraged to use their rifle scopes to scout areas. I noticed this was your first bear hunt in Montana. I'm thinking you don't have a lot of hunting experience from many of your remarks. Take the comments for what they are worth and learn how to hunt safely. You came up with a lot of conclusions that experienced hunters have either thought about already, or have altered their hunting style with. Usually that isn't using a scope to "scout the country". This whining going on isn't endearing you to people who hunt and don't care to be scoped out by hunters that don't have any judgment. Or you can continue to whine and be dismissed as an ethical hunter. Just trying to help. You don't want it, say so, but the whining and trying to excuse bad behavior is getting old.
If you came here to learn, then learn.

44Alaskan

Bearcat
cas said:
Hmmm... puzzled by the purpose of this thread. Nothing in this one that couldn't be in the first one.

The original post is about the Super Redhawk in 10mm and how I chose the 44 Alaskan as my backup. To go off topic on my own post would be comical. Here we are in the lounge just chatting while the general consensus on the Super Redhawk 10mm post is the size of the SRH is not required for 10mm, a GP100 in 10mm would be more suitable, the Super Redhawk in 41 magnum can far exceed the 10mm. As the author of the post those are responses I was interested in. The lounge is suitable for chitchat, not the Ruger Revolver page.

wolfsong

Staff member
44Alaskan said:
cas said:

The original post is about the Super Redhawk in 10mm and how I chose the 44 Alaskan as my backup. To go off topic on my own post would be comical. Here we are in the lounge just chatting while the general consensus on the Super Redhawk 10mm post is the size of the SRH is not required for 10mm, a GP100 in 10mm would be more suitable, the Super Redhawk in 41 magnum can far exceed the 10mm. As the author of the post those are responses I was interested in. The lounge is suitable for chitchat, not the Ruger Revolver page.

PM sent.

bogus bill

Hunter
Give him a break. I know every one of us has walked on water. Just a side question: What does one do if you swing your scope on someone who has their scope on you?
Inquiring minds want to know.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Blackie[/quote]
I read this whole thread twice but I guess I missed something, where did the lady come from? :?

wolfsong

Staff member
ilikerams said:
Blackie
I read this whole thread twice but I guess I missed something, where did the lady come from? :?[/quote]

The OP was edited at some point.