Geezer deer hunting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Almost deer season and I failed to meet two of my goals due to forgetfulness and/or simply running short on time. I had intended to get a 'handicapped hunter' permit for both myself and Grouch Attack but simply didn't get it done. The other geezer accommodation in the works was a small swivel 'cherry picker' with an electric winch in the back corner of the pickup bed. Useful for lifting heavy farm equipment spare tires into the bed and for loading deer. Well, maybe next year.
My new Ranger does have a front winch which makes hanging deer way easier. Had to find a new 'hanging tree' since the original tree burned last year. That reminds me: tomorrow (Nov 2) makes a full year since the wildfire took so much here and darned near killed me. Seems like yesterday and I can almost smell the smoke.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too know the feeling of not getting something done prior to a season opening. It can be frustrating,, but we seem to manage in some manner over most of it. I've had the
"plan" to build a small cooler for hanging deer,, but it's still not done. I do have the cement floor poured,,, !

We keep a gas (starts even when it's cold) loader tractor at the north farm so that helps with retrieval and loading but not quite as handy as the boom in the pickup bed. Here at home, the primary retrieval vehicle is the Ranger with a 4'x8' lo-profile utility trailer. Easily hauls 3 deer and is only 8" off the ground.
On several recent elk hunts, the guides had winch sockets mounted to the headache rack of their pickups for loading critters. Seems to work OK but wouldn't help with loading spare tires like the swivel crane does.

Latest posts