Not "Hunting"!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Importing animal parts, then cloning them, and then a "canned hunt"!

Importing animal parts, then cloning them, and then a "canned hunt"!

why are you here? Have you ever posted anything about Rugers?

BearBiologist

Buckeye
why are you here? Have you ever posted anything about Rugers?
Do a search!!!!!!!!

1 Ruger Revolver & 1 Ruger semi auto pistol. If you had to pick one of each to survive.

Funny, no pics of my 10/22

SR 1911 front strap checkering

Shooting the Liberty

USMC Marked Security Six??

Ruger Six series/SP quality accuracy vs S&W model 15

Convertible or Custom?

1708541823586.png

1708541979055.png

Modern Rifle That Uses 220 Swift Ammo?

My OM Stable

Herrits vs Ruger Sile checkered grip's question

Inferior firearms vs function and reliability

I did one for you, since you appear to be computer illiterate! This is just from the first half a dozen pages! These do not include posts under my "lost" username of "BearBio"

Fujicon

Bearcat
Never got the attraction of these canned "hunts." When it is just a matter of easily killing an animal for the simple sake of killing, that is the antithesis of sport and mental besides. If all you want is to get your jollies out of killing, join the army.

jgt

Buckeye
I wish they would have let people "can hunt" grizzer bears and wolves instead of importing them and turning them loose on the rest of the world. That was done for the sole reason to over populate the areas they were released into and deny hunters the number of game animals to hunt. People with that mindset claim hunters were the type that didn't need to hunt for subsistence but just wanted to get their jollies out of killing.

'Canned hunts'
Say what you want BUT there can be good reasons for these. I've been on several 'high fenced hunting preserves' hosting/assisting/mentoring handicapped hunters (especially youths). In proper context, these were ABSOLUTELY worthwhile.
We came very close to going on a high fenced bison hunt last December. The game farm operation needed some bison removed and it was within an hour's drive so I was going to take my blind Son there to shoot one. In the end, we couldn't make connections in a timely manner and the opportunity was gone. Properly managed and controlled, high fence hunting areas are or can be beneficial. Taken in the context of some rich dude blasting a corn fed 'super buck' just to have a big rack mounted and making up a wild story, I'm not on that page.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
"Canned " hunt is oxymoronic. However, getting up in age, I appreciate the value of Kids Hunts (when I had my GSP, I would sign up just to work the dogs for the kids), same with Spousal Hunts, teaching Hunter Safety. I would like to find a good disabled or handicapped hunt for elk or bison that didn't cost an arm and a leg!! But, those are culls, not hunts!

THANX, Gramps!!!

'Canned hunts'
Say what you want BUT there can be good reasons for these. I've been on several 'high fenced hunting preserves' hosting/assisting/mentoring handicapped hunters (especially youths). In proper context, these were ABSOLUTELY worthwhile.
We came very close to going on a high fenced bison hunt last December. The game farm operation needed some bison removed and it was within an hour's drive so I was going to take my blind Son there to shoot one. In the end, we couldn't make connections in a timely manner and the opportunity was gone. Properly managed and controlled, high fence hunting areas are or can be beneficial. Taken in the context of some rich dude blasting a corn fed 'super buck' just to have a big rack mounted and making up a wild story, I'm not on that page.
The Cervid Center in Durango, Colorado has 1800 acres fenced with a breeding program to develop Elk that are resistant to Chronic Wasting Disease(CWD). Every year they cull some, others with fantastic racks are tranquilized and the racks removed to keep the bulls from injuring each other. PETA complained bitterly saying it was too easy. The center offered the offended PETA person a free "hunt" to find a bull with a specific ear tag, tranquilize said Bull and have their picture taken, before removing the rack, that the PETA person could take home. It took this person 3 days to accomplish the deed!!! They rescinded their complaint. Lol
gramps

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
While in grad school, I took a weeklong course to get certified to use opiates & other drugs to tranquilize animals. It was taught by the State Veterinarians for Idaho & Wyoming. We had to actually tranq some elk as part of the class (estimate weight, measure dose, shoot, draw blood and administer the "antagonist/antidote"). Well, we were doing a de-horned bull elk. The student shot it and rushed in too soon, causing an adrenaline rush that temporarily neutralized the Etorphine/M99. The elk ran about 100 yards and dropped like a rock. We were standing around watching him draw blood when I felt a push against my back. The second time it happened, I turn to complain and there was a cow elk looking over my shoulder like "What are you guys doing to Joe??) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've never really explained WHAT i did when I worked for the Feds (Bear [:ROFLMAO:] with me, there IS a point!) I worked in Ecological Services for US Fish and Wildlife. We mostly examined the effects on Endangered Species by projects performed under Federal control. Some projects might require a review of the effects on all species, not just endangered ones (Water projects and plans on military bases). A proposal would come in and we'd determine if there was an effect, how much, how could it be prevented or mitigated. I usually had 10-12 projects on my desk in various stages of completion. Other projects might include managing various grant projects (to states, farmers & ranchers, tribes, etc.), developing conservation plans and listing and delisting of Endangered Species. I once approved a grant of $25K to move 25 beaver from the Methow River onto the Yakama Rez. The money was for vet exams and trucking them and monitoring after release. Well, the beaver did what beaver do: (a) make dams and (b) make little beavers. What the bears and lions didn't eat, spread and in two years we had restored 250 miles of at least two watersheds and had steelhead trout spawning for the first time in at least 20 years!

The point is: we would have all levels of cooperation with various entities: States, other Federal agencies, Tribes. I preferred being approached early in the planning stages so as to avoid impacts or minimize them, increasing the chance of approval. One friend once described me to Tulare County Board of Supervisors as "the best wildlife biologist in the state of California" (I'm good but nowhere close to THAT good). By getting in on the ground floor, a minor change ("Move the bike path 5 more feet to the left") might prevent or severely lessen the impacts to an endangered species. Too many times, we got rolled politically. I told my staff that sometimes you will cry yourself to sleep because someone made a political decision, ignoring the biology and sometimes you will have unimaginable highs when it goes well for the species. (Enough being maudlin, Greg!!!)

Some of the "Enviros" would try to bog us down with petitions. The Center for Biological Diversity once sent a petition for listing as endangered 262 aquatic snails. I had two of the species. Well, first of all, they simply changed the date on the cover letter and resent it. Then it was full of misdirection and poor science (High school level). For instance:
1. These snails live in water and therefore are affected by water pollution (Some organisms thrive in high salinity, high temperatures or high acidity).
2. Small populations lead to loss of genetic diversity necessary for survival. (We don't know if these are clonal, cross-fertilize, self-fertilize, or mate sexually - genetic drift only applies to sexually mating species)
3. Limited populations (only two but widely spread=are there more? Has anybody looked? These snails are only 1-3 mm in diameter)
4. Very limited knowledge of the species (i.e.: Is it EVEN a species).

This petition wasted 6 months and countless phone calls by 150 biologists in most of the western states!!!!!!!!!!! Government waste??? YEAH!!! Do not get me wrong, I once had a PhD publish a recant of some of his doctoral work because we found an error in his work and he reviewed a "Not Warranted" decision on his pet species and fully endorsed it! Many species do need protection because we know so little! So, "yes", Gramps. I hear where you are coming from!

Last edited:

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Never got the attraction of these canned "hunts." When it is just a matter of easily killing an animal for the simple sake of killing, that is the antithesis of sport and mental besides. If all you want is to get your jollies out of killing, join the army.

Not only that, but the financial cost is high. I will never understand why someone pays $10K to kill a buck simply for the antlers, add travel costs to that, and taxidermy to hang it in his man cave.

But I also never understand why killers wear camo and celebrate when they kill a deer over bait, and I wonder if they hang a can of corn under the mount in their man cave?

Latest posts