Pre-warning stainless single-six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flyrod

Bearcat
Hi - I need some help evaluating a Ruger I just put on hold at my local shop. It is a pre-warning NM Single Six, in stainless steel, with a 9.5 inch barrel. It has both cylinders with correct numbers, a manual, but no box. I think it is a somewhat rare bird, but have not been able to find anything about it in my reference books or online. I don't have the gun in hand, so can't give the serial number or photos yet - I know that would make it easier. Any info based on this description would be appreciated. Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
We would need more info,,, but it's likely your gun MAY be part of the 1st 1500 or so of this model made. We'd need the serial number & look to see if it has firing pin groove in the back of both fluted cylinders. If the magnum cylinder is solid,, it'll be a later version.
The devil is in the details.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Welcome to the forum,
As Contender stated above it's all about serial number range. If yours is one of the early one's it should fall in this range of KNR9's, 63-06507 to 63-08982 and 63-28981 to 63-303XX about 1500 guns.. The KS9 range is 63-06766 to 63-08287 and 63-28059 to 63-30284 about 2400 guns.

Either way a very scare to rare find.

Best
Terry

Flyrod

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I can't believe I didn't write down the serial number - I'll get that and the cylinder info this week and post it here. I had never seen a pre-warning stainless Ruger before, and I'd been wanting a long-barreled single six, so this one called out to me twice. Thanks again -

trapperon

Blackhawk
Flyrod

There are two variations of the 9.5 stainless single six and both are quite uncommon. The more common of the two is the single lr cylinder version. this one will have a star stamped on the bottom of the frame just ahead of the grip frame. the convertible model with both cylinders will have both cylinders fluted and numbered to the s/n of the gun--and as mentioned above the lr cylinder will have a firing pin groove around the back face of the cylinder and the mag cyl will have no firing pin groove. Standard grips are the silver eagle walnuts.
sounds like a great find--as long as there is no extra holes that have been drilled in the top strap for a scope!!

9.5 single sixes are one of my all time favorite Rugers!!

Ron

street

Hunter
Great find!!! As stated above the 9 1/2 in. Stainless Convertible is much harder to find then the 9 1/2 in. Stainless single cylinder Star guns. And as everyone knows the Stainless Star 9 1/2 in gun is very rarely seen, so your gun is next to impossible to get. Both the 4 5/8 Stainless and the 9 1/2 Stainless guns were not listed in Rugers catalog. Don't know why they got made but as they were, making both guns a very rare New Model gun. Again, a great find!!!!!

Flyrod

Bearcat
Okay, I have some new info on the pre-warning single six. The serial number is 63-06728. The mag cylinder is not fluted, but is numbered to the gun.

I got this info over the phone, and the store was busy, so I didn't get to ask about the firing pin groove on the LR cylinder or the star marking. I can check that this weekend.

Is this info still consistent with a "rare" find? Is there something else I should check on?

Would anyone venture an approximate value, in very nice condition (fired, but well maintained, no dings or scratches, manual, no box)?

Thanks again - great forum, I really learn a lot here.

street

Hunter
From all the information that I have that gun should have a fluted cylinder for the magnum. The non fluted cylinder for the magnum didn't start until halve way through 1976 year for the Stainless guns. And then so far no 9 1/2 in Stainless guns have not been found shipped in 1976. Unless that gun being manufactured in 1974 is a late ship, sometime after the mid 1976 year, that is not the correct magnum cylinder for that gun.

When you get the gun check the last 3 digits on the magnum cylinder and see if it matches the digits on the .22 LR cylinder. Also check the frame after the front screw of the grip frame, on the bottom of the gun in front of the trigger guard and see if it is a "Star" stamped there. If it is a star gun then someone added the magnum cylinder to it, as the magnum cylinder should be fluted.

Flyrod

Bearcat
Hi all,

I went to look at the gun again today, and checked everything that seemed relevant based on the comments above. Here's what I know:

Serial number is in the KNR9 range
There is no star on the frame
It has silver eagle walnut grips
The LR cylinder is fluted and has the firing pin groove and has the last three SN digits stamped on it
The Mag cylider is not fluted and has the last three SN digits stamped on it

So, I think it is either a late-shipped gun that left the factory with a non-fluted Mag cylinder (as suggested above), OR maybe it was sent back to Ruger to replace a lost Mag cylinder, and they stamped the correct numbers on the replacement. I don't know if that is standard protocol for the factory when replacing a cylinder - can anyone comment on that?

As long as no one here throws up a red flag about the Mag cylinder, I plan to pick it up in a few days. I haven't been able to track down any comparable sales info, so if any of the knowledgable collectors here could estimate a value range, it would be much appreciated. I'll try to post pics once I have it. It's in very nice shape, but no box.

Thanks -

Hauss

Bearcat
I just bought one today. No box or documents but both cylinders for $500. I feel a I got a very fair deal.

The magnum cylinder does not appear to be original to the gun. It being added later makes the most sense to me (maybe only me?). Are the numbers actually stamped or electrically engraved? Do the stampings/engravings match each other or look to be from different times? I have one similar but with a 4-5/8" barrel. Serial number is 63-07xxx with fluted cylinders and matching electrically engraved last three numbers with a letter on each of the cylinder fronts.

rugnelli

Flyrod

Bearcat
The numbers on both cylinders are stamped, and appear to be very similar in style.

Since it doesn't have a star stamp on the frame, I'm assuming it was shipped with both cylinders. The serial number is consistent with that theory.

Flyrod

Bearcat
Though I do feel that the non-fluted cylinder is probably not original - I'm guessing it was replaced by Ruger because of the stamped numbers.

Hauss

Bearcat
Flyrod I wouldn't let the non-fluted cylinder stop me from buying the revolver. I would make sure that I wasn't paying top dollar for something that wasn't 100% original. I have only seen 5 or 6 of these for sale in the past 10 years. Including online auctions. I've managed to purchase 2 of them. Neither came with the box, but the purchase price reflected that. I would be sure to point out that the cylinder was not the one it originally shipped with and see if he would knock a few dollars off.

Flyrod

Bearcat
Street, do you know when the cylinder markings switched from the electric engraving to the stamping? The gun is in such nice shape, it is hard to think of a scenario where both cylinders had to be replaced. I guess I'm clinging to the late-ship theory, maybe at a time when stamping replaced the engraving Did that happen around 1976? Do you think that is possible?

Flyrod

Bearcat
Hauss - I have money down on it, and will go ahead with the purchase. I was just stalling a bit to do some research. They were talking about putting it online for $1200, offered it to me in store for $900, and we settled on $800. Keep in mind I'm pretty close to a major city and prices run a little higher here. Would you say that is out of line, if one or both cylinders are not original? As you stated, these don't seem to surface very often, and I wasn't able to find any example of a sale to base value on. I can still re-negotiate a little based on new information. Thanks -

Hauss

Bearcat
There was one on Gunbroker last month listed for $799. It was relisted 3 times that I know of and it did not sell. Here's a link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...oks like it didn't sell online for even $800.

Flyrod

Bearcat
Hauss - Thanks again, for the price info and the link to the auction. That is indeed the same revolver. I'll pick it up some time this week.