found a lead connection but need advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

erreertt

Single-Sixer
The guy has soft lead and wheel weights. He wants upto 70c a lb for soft ... but only wants around 40c for wheel weights . Which is a better lead for 9mm. I am only stocking now. I will not be casting for another 3months at minimum still have a few k of plated to load and alot more research. I've done some research now of people using WW because if you flux with the clips still in the pot apparently it adds antimony and whatever else it was u had to add to some batches. Either way im only stocking untill I get a couple buckets to start making ingots. I will most likely be using a 124 gr something like RN or the flat tops. And I will be powder coating after I work a good batch or 2. Found a few different ways to powder coat but the tumbler method seams the easiest but coats the best almost flawless

Jim Puke

Hunter
Wheel weights will work great for your 9mm...

All of my casting has always been with ww lead and it has always worked fine for me.

You have obviously been hanging out at castboolits.gunloads.com and that is a great place to learn.

mikld

Blackhawk
The lower price for wheel weight lead is prolly for whole clip-on wheel weights. You'll have to smelt and remove the clips, and they will prolly be at least 25% of the total weight...

Air cooled WW alloy works well for all my handgun needs (.38/357, 9mm. .44 cal., 45 ACP).

erreertt

Single-Sixer
If the clips are on whats a good price and if they are off whats a good price as well. Yeah ive read and watched a few videos on tapping them on the ground to see if it is a zinc WW ill definitely search some more on ways to tell before I start smelting some muffin ingots

Jim Puke

Hunter
erreertt said:
If the clips are on whats a good price and if they are off whats a good price as well. Yeah ive read and watched a few videos on tapping them on the ground to see if it is a zinc WW ill definitely search some more on ways to tell before I start smelting some muffin ingots

Dump them all in your smelt pot, run heat between 650-700...dip out everything that does not melt and you will be good to go. It is not necessary to sort the zinc and steel by hand.

No-1

Single-Sixer
Had good luck with a Lee 9mm 124g RN tumble lube mold and wheel weights.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
No-1 said:

Hi,

That's the same bullet and alloy I feed my 9mm! Unsized, that's also a good plinking bullet for .38 Spl...

Dunno where the OP's from, but it's getting harder and harder to find ANY kind of wheelweights in my neighborhood. And if one CAN find a shop willing to get rid of them like in "the old days" before the lead-o-phobes took over, they'll be mostly non-lead.

So if someone had a good supply of LEAD wheelweights around here, for 40 cents a pound, I'd be backing the truck up to their door right now. And methinks anyone who thinks that's high should look at RotoMetals and a couple of others to see where lead prices are right now... :(

But maybe the situation's not quite so dismal in some places?

Rick C

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Ya this is a scrap yard he was asking if I was making fishing weights I said no ammo he acted like he never heard it and after talking about the soft lead he mentioned he has some wheel weights if I want to go with a cheaper lead but didnt think anyone had a use for wheel weights

wizofwas

Buckeye
WW, the lead is ready mold and shoot. As mentioned, watch out for the zinc. The lead will melt before the zinc, but not by much. Just melt the lead and scoop out the junk, easy as pie.

erreertt

Single-Sixer
So if someone had a good supply of LEAD wheelweights around here, for 40 cents a pound, I'd be backing the truck up to their door right now. And methinks anyone who thinks that's high should look at RotoMetals and a couple of others to see where lead prices are right now... :(

But maybe the situation's not quite so dismal in some places?

Rick C[/quote]
If you lived near southern illinois id share the supply with you

erreertt

Single-Sixer
wizofwas said:
WW, the lead is ready mold and shoot. As mentioned, watch out for the zinc. The lead will melt before the zinc, but not by much. Just melt the lead and scoop out the junk, easy as pie.
Thanks

erreertt

Single-Sixer
No-1 said:
Thanks I wont be lubeing them but I think the 124 lee is what I will go with

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Also my range has 5lb bags of brass for 25$ ...5bucks a lb about 115 casings ..is that a good deal .I wanted just a lb but I have to buy 5lb at a time .fired brass

GP100man

Buckeye
If you can afford it buy all ya can for that price , as nothing has dropped in prices for shooting related activitys since for a long time !!

The soft is higher as ya can do so many different things with it , think of it as a base metal .
The COWW are getting lesser & harder to get ,even from the little tire shops .

I hand sort the zinc from the lead & trade em with a local tire guy for his retired lead ones 1/2# ,I`m happy & he`s happy.

GP