Forum for the .327? .327 Fed Mag Users Unite!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Maximumbob54

Bearcat
I waited for Ruger to dump the sight blade in the SP101 and I'm still waiting for a non ported standard model from S&W that looks like a regular M60.

I just like the concept of a small frame with six chambers instead of five. It would be something new to cast for and that would be enough right there if someone makes the right gun for me. That just has yet to happen.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
This really saddens me that the sp101 isnt made in 327 anymore. I had mentioned before on here that I had kicked around the idea of getting one. Well I was just thinking today it might be exactly what I'm looking for as an extra gun for the wife. I have the sp101 and gp100 in .357. She has a taurus 617 (7shot) in 357. She usually shoots 38s in it. I just dont have faith in that gun if she ever really needed it. While we never have had a problem with it , I've just heard to many people having issues with them.Today it dawned on me while at the office that the .327 might be just the ticket. 6 shots in sp101. Then I got to looking and didnt see it on the site anymore. Than I got on the forum here in this thread and it dawned on me that it was mentioned on here that it was no longer. :cry: Geuss I shouldnt waited so long.

gak

Buckeye
Kyhunt said:
This really saddens me that the sp101 isnt made in 327 anymore. I had mentioned before on here that I had kicked around the idea of getting one.

I too have kicked around the idea. I've said the .32 H&R and Single Six was perhaps the best match of cartridge and gun as far as a single action goes anyway--like they were designed for each other...and it would seem the .327 and SP101 would be perfect mates as well. ...providing just that much more useful heft over a steel J Frame.
It's been said by some the .327's SP101 absence is temporary while Ruger focuses production elsewhere. Seems to me once a product is actually removed from a catalog--a pretty overt action--it's as good as gone. Let's hope not!

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Don't tell me I finally screwed up and did something right! I bought one of the SS Blackhawk seven-shooters about a year ago because it was the only full sized revolver open in the 327 chambering. I went a little farther and started a custom project to build a SS K-frame S&W in that caliber as well. I'm still waiting on the completion of the Smith, but I really like my BH. I soon see my BH getting a scope for serious shooting and leaving the original irons on the Smith for more casual use. Now the "stock" BH seems to be worth more than I am having to pay for my custom Smith, and there's no telling what the Smith will be worth when it finally arrives. Like Frodo, 327 lives!

Froggie

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
That's what makes mine so special?? :roll:

I like to carry it with an empty hammer under the chamber?? 8)

I had a brain fart???? Yeah, that's the story! :oops:

I guess I'll have to get out more and spend less time on the computer. :mrgreen:

the (blushing) Green Frog

Cordite

Single-Sixer
From where I sit the problem that most people have with the .327 Fed Mag is the lack of available ammo compared to other more established calibers like .38 Special / .357 Magnum. To feed my .327 SP101 I have to drive to Cabelas and hope they have it in stock or order it online. Not a big deal for me but apparently it is for some people. This issue I lay on the doorstep of ATK/Federal as they did not support Ruger introducing a line of .327 handguns when the support was needed! The right way to do this would have been for ATK to develop a low cost round and a self defense round (which they did) and to release a whole bunch of it along with the Ruger guns (which they did not).

Yes, I have heard all the arguments about why do we need a .327 Fed Mag caliber handgun when we have a .38/.357/.40/.45/.44/ blah blah caliber already but that misses the point. I like my .327 SP101 for what it is rather than what it is not.

I have read other posts that suggest that Ruger will not develop any more handguns in .327 due to poor sales performance. Well, they said that about the .480 as well and it has returned. Ruger has kept the .327 GP100 in the 2013 catalog, hopefully to stay. If all of you that enjoy your .327 handguns as much as I do and those of you who are thinking about it bought a .327 GP100 you would be sending a strong signal to Ruger that the .327 round is very much alive! You would also be the proud owner of a fine handgun in a very capable caliber.

Not sure why I am on this rant but it really bugged me when the .327 SP101 and Blackhawk were dropped from the Ruger 2013 lineup. My bonus check is coming soon and it will buy a .327 GP100 as soon as my LGS can find one.

smike308

Bearcat
In addition to the lack of ammunition, I would say the lack of the available .327 guns was/is a big part of the problem. I have seen exactly 2 Blackhawks in this caliber(one of which followed me home), -0- Sp101 and GP 100 ..327's. If I find either, or both, they will also follow me home. I just am not seeing them!

M'BOGO

Buckeye
There was "always something", and didn't get the Blackhawk I wanted.... Hopefully, it's like the "dead as dillenger" .480... :D

Guess I'll get a GP and be happy with that.

peyton

Single-Sixer
I just bought another 500 rounds of Federal 85 grain ammo yesterday!!

tek4260

Buckeye
There is another 327 option :)

DSCN1452.jpg

dougader

Hunter
I actually sold my SP101 (I know, heresy!) and picked up the stainless version of your S&W, a 632 in 327 Federal.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I have looked at the S&W revovers more than once but I just cant get past the internal lock. Apart from that that is a very nice looking gun.Theres a few S&W that I really really like except the hole there. :?

Mohillbilly

Bearcat
I like my sp101 so much , I tracked an 8 shot blackhawk too . I cast my own slugs and reload them cheaper than I can get 22lr for ...... more fun and just as useful , and I can shoot 32 acp, 32 sw long/short , 32 h&r , and 327. I like the any power level up to 327 . Makes me want to convert a 30 carb cylinder to 327 ...... I wonder how far I could push that ?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
not a dedicated section - but searchable thread titles would be great!

32 caliber handguns are a purist's interest, not for neophytes but rather akin to folks who cannot be without a 41RM, a 410 SxS, or a "475 Special" (480 Ruger) firerm.
My 327FM SP101 is comforting in lion country, and versatile/accurate enough for small game at open-sight ranges. The only use I can think of to be avoided is firing indoors - as a man-killer I would much prefer it to be fired outdoors!