Forum for the .327? .327 Fed Mag Users Unite!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RoverSig

Bearcat
Does the .327 Federal Magnum deserve its own forum, or perhaps a section under the Ruger Revolver forum?

-Ruger was instrumental in the creation and marketing of this cartridge.

-The SP101, GP100, and Blackhawk -- all in .327 Fed Mag -- are the mainstays for those who shoot the cartridge (S&W, Taurus, and perhaps a few others have built guns in this caliber, but Ruger is the core of the movement).

-The .327 has never "caught fire" -- it is a great cartridge, but it looks like it will never be a mainstream item. Ammo can be hard to find and expensive. Reloading supplies also -- for example, Starline does not have .327 brass in stock right now, although they are taking backorders; and Midway has run out of Federal .327 brass, and is not allowing backorders. There is some danger of this cartridge going extinct if the group of people who use and like it don't keep knowledge about it alive, and draw other Ruger aficionados into it.

-There are a number of offerings in ammo by some of the smaller specialty ammo companies, and three lines produced by Federal itself, that are worth of reviews and collection ballistic data.

-There is a small library of articles about the .327, which could be shared, and in so doing, help keep the cartridge alive. By "alive," I mean at least one gun in .327 in production, preferably by Ruger, and at least one or two lines of commercial ammo in production, by both Federal and the smaller companies (I hope Federal doesn't abandon its own offspring...).

-Reloading data is sparse but can be found, and of course people are working up loads all the time, which could be shared.

-The .327 community isn't a community YET, but may want to become one based around a forum, in order to share reloading information and general ideas on this cartridge, and help keep this strongly Ruger offering alive.

-Is RugerForum.com interested :?:

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I'd love to see a dedicated forum too. Almost as much as I would like to see Blackhawk .327s for sale!!! I still cannot locate one!

Gregbert89

Bearcat
:margarin: I, AM FOR THIS!!!! It would be a shame if the caliber goes extinct. I would also recommend we get make a post, to obtain signatures to show support for this caliber.

contender

Ruger Guru
Since this section of our Forum is dedicated to revolvers, and the 327 pops up from time to time,, (I know as I own a nice Blackhawk in 327 myself,) I have an interest.

However,, to set up an internet forum like our Ruger Forum costs money, and time.

Judging by the number of posts about it,,, I doubt it would survive.

Heck,, I doubt if we'd see much activity in a section devoted to it even here.

But,, I love mine,,, wouldn't sell it for anything,, and I have plenty of brass, & a few boolit molds. At least with me,, the 327 will live long & prosper!

gak

Buckeye
...Not helped by report in another thread here of the .327's removal from the 2013 catalog in SP101 and Blackhawk.

EDIT: From another forum, Ruger's response to someone"s inquiry/concern expressed to Ruger about the .327's support and future, noting the above.. "...caliber has been discontinued for the time being only....more information at http://www.ruger.com. Specultion continues that they're focusing on production/backorders. Wishful thinking, but maybe the hiatus with the above guns also signifies consideration/set-up for Single Six and/or mid-frame (.32-20 convertible anyone?) offering.

Gregbert89

Bearcat
gak said:
...Not helped by report in another thread here of the .327's removal from the 2013 catalog in SP101 and Blackhawk.

I believe you are referring to my comment. I dont think it was a comment that hurt the .327. It was more of a, "Hey look were is the .327 at?" type of comment. I love the .327 caliber, it's a fun round.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A caliber specific forum or section in RugerForum? Good luck with that. Is there a 9mm or 357mag forum somewhere?

btw, you can discuss the 327mag here in the revolver section or in the reloading section of RugerForum. :D

JimP

Bearcat
Plenty of 327 ammo at <cheaperthandirt.com>

What do you like about the .327?

JimP

RoverSig

Bearcat
JimP -- I like the moderate recoil; I like the inherent accuracy I seem to be able to get with reloads; I like the seventh round in the cylinder (GP100). They made it, so I had to try it; and I ended up enjoying reloading it.

RABULL

Bearcat
I love the .327 Federal Magnum, .32 H & R Magnum and the .32-20. I used to only shoot the .22's, .44's (Special & Magnum), the .45 (ACP & Colt) and the .454 Casull revolvers. However, I now also have and shoot a A Blackhawk (Buckeye Special) .327 Federal & .32-20 (it had a .32 H & R Magnum cylinder bored out to .327 Magnum by Bowen Classic Firearms) two (2) Ruger Single-Six .32 H & R Single Action Revolvers and a Colt SAA .32-20 Revolver. As I have got older, I have really enjoyed the fun shooting ofthe .32's. My next revolver will probably be a Freedom Arms Model 97 with cylinders in .327 Federal Magnum, .32 H & R Magnum and .32-20. I hope these calibers stay around for awhile. I also wish Marlin would make a Marlin 1894 lever action rifle in .327 Magnum!

wdr2

Bearcat
Just picked up a new Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 32H&R that had been sitting unsold at a LGS for several years. Very fun gun with my first load; 10.5gr W296, Hornady 100gr XTP, CCI SP. I also have a NOE 115gr GC mold for the 311316 (0.314-in dia) bullet to try next.

I am hoping for a limited run of midsized Ruger Flattops in 327 - how about 7.5in stainless, Bisley grip frame?

I would support a forum for 32H&R and 327 Mags. Great rounds and fine Starline brass is now available for both.

dougader

Hunter
Love the guns ans the caliber. 32 caliber in general is a favorite of mine. 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R mag and 327 Federal. Really want a nice S&W... but the $$ gets in the way.

gak

Buckeye
The only reason I'd be against a sub-forum is that discussion of the .32's is often mixed in with good conversation about other favorities...and it's all I can do to keep up with general discussion in this Revolvers and other forums!

Prairie Fire

Bearcat
I love the .327 caliber. I've had an SP101 in .327 for three years now and if I could only keep one handgun that would be the one. I agree with what gak said about enjoying the broader discussion of .32's in general. While those of us that have the .327 love it, I'm not sure they're enough of us to support a sub- forum.

PF

I like the caliber as well. I have an SP101 and Blackhawk. I'm sad to see them discontinued. Interestingly, the 30 Carbine is still a production model.

As for a separate topic in the Rugerforum, I would think it is more proper to stay right here in the revolver section. It would just get to involved, revolver or .327?

Gregbert89

Bearcat
Every one who shoots .32's (.327 32 H&R mostly) I think will agree it is a fun round, and is a grate small to medium game caliber. The less recoil makes it the grown up version of a .22 (well not so cheap to shoot by any means) but because if you have the ammo it's a pleasure to shoot all day like a .22 but WITH A KICK. I only list my Rugers but I do have other guns, and the .327 Blackhawk seems to go with me to the range every time over some of the others. O'Yes one more thing, I full trust the round if I ever had to use it in my home to put down an evader.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
A few weeks ago I started to take another look at the 327 mag just for the fact I like the idea of a shot sp101. I havent done anything yet but a little reading. I m interested in learning more about this caliber. while it will never replace my love for the 357 I'm curious.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I really like the 327 caliber. As has been said mild recoyle and accuracy go hand in hand with this cartridge. I have the GP and the SP and if the Blackhawk came along I'm sure I would have to have it. I just ordered 1000 327 brass from Starline but called them first. Even though it's on back order the person I talked to said she checked with the boss and there would be a run the end of January. I'm pretty stocked up on brass and I don't think Hornady is going to stop producing the XTP as well as several cast bullet companies have offerings out there. I don't think we could keep a sub forum going but continue to air our likes for it on this revolver forum. I sure don't want to see it go away but if it should I've enough brass to be able to reload and shoot it for the rest of my life.

JimP

Bearcat
.32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32-20, 327 Magnum, 32 H&R Magnum. Help!! Do all shoot out of a 327 magnum?

JimP