For those who have the RCBS 44-250-K bullet mold?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brasso3

Bearcat
This is the plain base 250gr Keith type bullet mold from RCBS. I wondering how they figure the weight with these. For those of you who have this bullet mold, what type of alloy do you use and how much do YOUR bullets weigh?

I've noticed that with wheel weights my bullets tend to come out a bit heavier than the mold calls for. I want to copy the Keith load as closely as possible (17gr 2400 w/ 250gr cast bullet) and I don't want my bullets dropping out at 260-265 grains. I'm wondering if I should try this one or go with a 240gr mold, expecting them to drop heavier?

Comments?

And as a side rant, why is it next to impossible to find a 250gr flat nose mold? I may just go with Mountain Molds. Is he still taking orders?

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
I've only used Lee molds but ran across some RCBS literature that stated their weights are based "from alloy of 1 part tin to 10 parts lead".

GP100man

Buckeye
It`s your alloy , higher lead content than #2 alloy .

I personally don`t worry `bout how close the weight is 10-15grs. is negligable.

Now size is a different story , If I can`t get .002" over throat/bore dia. I get worried qwik!!

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
I had that mold and mine were heavier than 250gr, I remember them being about 260-ish. Its your alloy, RCBS "calibrates" there molds using lots of TIN. I wish they would use COWW instead. If you aren't using a higher TIN mix your boolits will also be a little smaller, another trait of an RCBS mold. They make a fine mold but the alloy difference is annoying. TIN is too expensive to play with.

Brasso3

Bearcat
Hmmm.

I was looking around and saw Accurate Molds. They can customize their designs for exactly what you want. I'll probably go with their 43-255v and just specify straight wheelweights. That way when I mix in a little tin and lino it will come out right.

Thanks.

callshot

Blackhawk
Mine come out about 254 when the hardness is about 12. I don't think I can shoot any difference so I don't worry about a little difference in weight. I just shoot for fun and get results. Notice I said about 254. I get slight difference in weight even in the same pot of lead. Life is too short, so keep it simple and eat desert first.
Steve

Brasso3

Bearcat
Thanks folks. After reading some it looks like the RCBS mold can very significantly, so I just ordered one from Accurate Molds. I went with the 43-250K, which is the Keith style mold. I figure this will be more of a precise match anyway. Can't wait to cast some bullets. I haven't done that in a couple of years. I have about 500+lbs. of wheel weights in the garage and they need to be shot.

BCB

Bearcat
Mine cast at 262± grains using wheel weights…

The more lead in your alloy, the heavier and smaller diameter the boolit will be…

The more tin and antimony, the lighter and larger diameter your boolit will be…

Lyman #2 will probably put you in the ballpark as to what you are looking for…

You can make your own #2 with a recipe in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks…

A bit expensive to make…

I just use the wheel weights and adjust accordingly with powder charges…

Good-luck…BCB

Brasso3

Bearcat
I'm using mostly wheel weights also. I do throw a handful of commercial cast bullets I don't need in the mix for some hardness, but mostly just wheel weights.

BCB

Bearcat
I little bit of hard chilled shot will help also...

I sometimes put about 1/4 cup into a 6-7 pound melt of wheel weights when I am casting...
(But shot is expensive now also)

The shot will also help if you are water cooling or heat treating in an oven...

Good-luck...BCB

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Lyman has produced many different variations of the 429421 Keith bullet over the years, they've shortened the nose, then lengthened it they've changed the size and contour of the lube groove, and have also shortened the length of the front driving band, and also reduced it's diameter. There is a constant disagreement as to what Elmer originally designed, and who comes closest to the "true" Keith design. In short, it's a crapshoot if you want his original design from 1927, I believe it was. I just bought a very early (est 1927) Keith 429422, the hollowbase version of his 44 mould. I'll do a bit of test casting with it using 1:20 alloy, which is what Elmer used when he developed the bullet in the first place. I'm still looking for an original 1920s 429421. I just need to keep looking, one will show up eventually. My RCBS manual is telling me that the 44-250K was spec'd with linotype. This may be the source of your weight difference. I also have an original Hensley & Gibbs 503 which has a shorter nose, and a slightly shorter grease groove than the RCBS. This is allegedly the version that was "blessed" by Keith as being true to his design. There's so much contradictory information out there anymore we may never know the full story. But it's a lot of fun to keep buying moulds and researching each piece of the puzzle as they come available. I also had a Keith style mould made that has a larger diameter nose, but the rest is almost pure Keith. All because I wanted a Keith style mould with the same basic nose as my LBT WFNs.

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
Just got one last week. I use straight wheel weight alloy and mine drops at 268 grains, so I just call it a 270 grainer. Diameter is good also average is .456 and it sizes down to .452 if needed nicely with an RCBS .452 sizer die. It is a long bullet and is just fine in my full size Black Hawks however for my new flat top in .45 Colt (shorter cylinder) if crimped in the crimp groove it is just flush with the end of the cylinder and any bullet creep would tie up the gun. I just loaded some with the crimp over the front driving band and it now fits junior just fine.

One thing to consider with the RCBS 44-250, is that a lot of the bullets weight is out front meaning less bullet in the cartridge case. This of course means less pressure and velocity. Since buying a Flat Top .44 Special a couple of months ago, I've done quite a bit of load development. I've used a Lyman 429421 and an NOE 429421 both of which weigh right at 260 grs. I ran the bullet from the Lyman mould up to 1218 fps with 17.0 grs. of AL2400 with no pressure signs at all.

I said all that to say that I've loaded bullets from all three moulds over identical powder charges and the bullets from the RCBS 44-250 consistently show slightly lower velocities which of course indicate slightly lower pressures. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to work up to Elmer's load of 17.0 grs.

Brasso

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I have to give a thumbs up to the gentleman at Accurate Molds. After emailing him back and forth a couple of times about what I was looking for, he made a mold just for me. Without me even asking him for it! He just sent me an email one day saying that he made me the exact bullet I was describing to him. Talk about customer service. So if you browse his online catalogue, the 43-250H is mine. I hope to cast some up this weekend. I'll post some photes if I can.

Rob