Bullet question. I just noticed my 45lc bullets do not have a canelure

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I reloaded many years ago but bullets always hat the canelure. I just like them better. So anything I need to know to do different with these.I have a Lee factory crimp coming for my different calibers.
I'm ready to get started again.

The need for a 'hard' crimp can depend on the loading/recoil level. FWIW, I use the LEE factory crimp successfully on 300 AAC reloads that are heavily compressed--no crimp groove and no creeping bullets. If you're using heavy (hard recoiling) loads, you may not have enough 'bite' on the bullet.
What type bullets are you using? The 'softer' plated bullets will easily deform to accept a roll crimp or the LEE FC.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Thankyou
I'm shooting lighter 44 mag,,45Lc,,and 30/30.
I will have the lee FC die for each and probably won't need a heavy crimp just medium from what you are saying. Thanks

Johnnu2

Hunter
As Mobuck said, PLATED bullets (as opposed to JACKETED) bullets are softer and can deform with a tight roll crimp. I'm not sure if that's a real problem, but you should understand the difference. Taper crimp works well on them.

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
If a bullet doesn't have a cannalure, I wouldn't try a roll crimp. They were designed to be taper crimped. Plated bullets can & will deform when a roll crimp is applied,, and it can cause accuracy issues,, or stripping of some of the plating when fired.

gster

Single-Sixer
This from Lee about the .45 colt collet style factory crimp die.

"Factory Crimp Die. Incorporates a collet to apply a rifle type crimp to the case. Makes even the most difficult to crimp cartridges a delight to reload. Bullets do not need a crimp groove, as the collet is so powerful it will form one. A firm crimp improves accuracy because pressure must build to a higher level before the bullet begins to move. This higher start pressure insures a more uniform pressure curve and less velocity variation. NOTE: This die is not carbide."

If you have enough recoil that you "need" the roll crimp, then you can buy a device that makes a cannelure on the bullet. I got one a few years back when loading supplies (e.g., bullets) were drying up.

Rclark

Hunter
All my .45 Colt bullets have a crimp groove (lead RNFP, SWC) ... Only .45 ACP bullets don't. That said if you are loading bullets without a crimp groove, you just do a light crimp that straightens the slight 'bell' from the case. For normal SAAMI pressures you should be fine. When I crimp into the crimp groove, it is a 'light' crimp. Never had a bullet walk on me. Or as mentioned above use a special tapered crimp die...

Last edited:
I'm still working through a few thousand 230gn LRN .452 bullets with no crimp groove for 45ACP in my Blackhawk. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die with either my 45ACP brass or 45Colt brass(it's a convertible)

daveag.

Single-Sixer
As Mobuck said, PLATED bullets (as opposed to JACKETED) bullets are softer and can deform with a tight roll crimp. I'm not sure if that's a real problem, but you should understand the difference. Taper crimp works well on them.

J.
I bought one box of plated bullets ,, Berry's. For .45 Auto. Junk.

Latest posts