For the stray elephant roaming the mtns of NC...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barrett93

Single-Sixer
I traded this week for a Ruger No. 1-H in .458 Win Mag. Why? I would rather ask why not? It's a beautiful rifle, it will kill anything on the planet and it's a Ruger. But seriously, I've had the big bore bug for a while now and I finally got the chance to trade around and get this bad boy so I jumped on it. I love the figuring in the wood. I think I might even take a crack at a whitetail with it this season.

The first two pictures are pretty dark. The close ups of the buttstock really show the figuring.

458.jpg

458_1.jpg

458_2.jpg

458_3.jpg

458_4.jpg

458_5.jpg

7mm-08, 458 Win Mag, 44 Mag

tinman

Buckeye
I'm thinkin that you could shoot the tree next to the deer, have the tree kill it and still have less damage to the meat..... :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
It still won't be enough for the "Live Free or Die" types that roam our mountains. Just look around Trashville & you'll find plenty of them.

Seriously,,,, a NICE gun there.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Nice looking #1, remember this lite loads are your friends you don't have to shoot max. loads. Have fun I like it.

gunsbam69

Hunter
I couldn't of passed that one up either, and I agree with what was said about the lighter loads. A 400 grainer about 1500 FPS is BAD medicine on anything in North America, and it's a pleasure to shoot. MUCH easier recoiling than running the same bullet at 24-2500 or a 500 grainer at 2200 FPS. It'd be an awesome pig gun :D

Nard

Bearcat
I love my No. 1H in 458. I loaded some Hot Core 350's for it that shoot pretty good. It can be loaded to where it is pleasant or to where it makes you say ugly words when you set it off!

J.B.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
tinman said:
I'm thinkin that you could shoot the tree next to the deer, have the tree kill it and still have less damage to the meat..... :wink:

Hi,

All you have to do is hit Bambi on the bottom of one of the rear feet and he'll drop right there. Deader'n a doornail, with zero usable meat damaged! Oh, wait, that's standard gun shop banter about another .45 (ACP), isn't it? ;)

Rick C

RSIno1

Hunter
I had a why not moment last year and traded $700 for one. A red pad with great wood. Loaded up some 350 & 500 grain bullets. Still haven't been out to shoot it. I did justify it to myself as needing one model of each No1. Still need to add a 1V. I've been waiting for a .223 to show up local but may have to settle for a 22-250 or 220 Swift.

jdr308

Single-Sixer
I've got one just like it. Load some rounds up with trail boss for plinking, and then a full bore 500gr for "fun"! I loaded up about 25 of the 500gr about 8 years ago, I still have plenty leftover :lol: have fun with it and take some extra ammo to the range because everyone always wants to try out the canons!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
jdr308 said:
and then a full bore 500gr for "fun"! I loaded up about 25 of the 500gr about 8 years ago, I still have plenty leftover :lol: have fun with it and take some extra ammo to the range because everyone always wants to try out the canons!

Hi,

The story doesn't involve a Ruger, but is about a .458 Win Mag: a buddy picked up two pre-'64 Safari Grade Model 70s quite a few years ago, a .375 H&H and a .458 Win Mag. The .458 came with the box of shells the original owner bought when he took the gun home, minus 2 rounds. We figured at $5/ea for 500 gr solids, the first guy didn't want to waste much money. It also had a tiny bit of wood chipped off near the bolt handle. The rifles, and that 18 rds of ammo, went in the safe for years.

About a year ago, my buddy dug out the .458 and took it shooting. He called me up afterwards to tell me, and I asked him how many rounds were left in the box. "Sixteen", he answered.

I started teasing him about being a cheapskate and getting scared off by the $5 "ka-ching" every time he pulled the trigger. "Nah, it just didn't take very long to figure why the FIRST guy only shot two rounds, OR how that piece of wood got broken!" :shock:

Rick C

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
Beautiful #1 you got there!
My brother has one he bought many years ago. Let me shoot it one day because he wanted to take down a couple of trees in his back yard. I only shot it once, but it did remove one tree for him! Man, my shoulder hurt for a week.

gulfdaddy

Bearcat
Back in the 1960's in Playboy magazine there was a comic I remember where a husband and wife were standing on a corner of Wall Street with a dead elephant. The husband was reloading his double barrel safari gun and the wife was remarking, " I'll never tease you again for caring that gun." You just never know when the need will arise. GG

toysoldier

Hunter
gulfdaddy said:
Back in the 1960's in Playboy magazine there was a comic I remember where a husband and wife were standing on a corner of Wall Street with a dead elephant. The husband was reloading his double barrel safari gun and the wife was remarking, " I'll never tease you again for caring that gun." You just never know when the need will arise. GG

I have that cartoon in a file of clippings. :D Gahan Wilson

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
That's cool. I believe you don't need a practical reason to own something like that. Sometimes you keep it around "just because."

In Larry Correia's excellent novel "Monster Hunter International," a huge stone gargoyle gets magically brought to life and goes on a rampage. It is finally taken down by an old farmer with a .458 Win Mag (or something like that--I'm not certain about the cartridge). He says something along the lines of "I'm glad I had that big gun, although my wife always asked what in the world I wanted it for."

You never know...

Latest posts