First Range Session with New Min-14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

QB

Single-Sixer
Finally got to take my Mini-14 to the range yesterday and WOW, do I love this rifle. :D Shot only 80 rounds of PMC Bronze and Winchester ammo but it functioned 100%. I was at an indoor range (25 yards) just to test fire it so hitting the target dead on was easy using the Aimpoint H-1 optic. I had other guns to test fire so I had to move on but plan on taking the Mini-14 back next Tuesday for some more fun.

Just in case anyone mentions it, my sling is attached for left handed shooting. I use sling attachments that attach to the buttstock and forearm rather than the sling attachments that came on the gun. I use the same attachments for my PC9 and Saiga 410 shotgun and have two slings that I can attach to any of them whenever there is the need for a sling. I also use the same Urban E.R.T. slings for my PS90 because I just love their product.

I am hoping to go to an outdoor range soon and sight in my Aimpoint. I have to research what yardage I'm suppose to sight in the Mini-14 but if anyone has any suggestions I'll all ears. I don't normally shoot longguns or at outdoor ranges so this is relatively new to me.

Man do I love this Mini-14. Makes me want to get another one but I recently vowed to not have any duplicate rifles and to cut down on duplicate handguns as well. Then again, a different model Mini-14 wouldn't really be a duplicate would it? :twisted:

Mini14withsling.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
The 11th Commandment: Man should not question the amount of guns he owns.

===

Minis are a lot of fun, I have a couple - one in 6.8 SPC and .223. Most people use 100 yards as a good range for the Mini to be sighted in at, it gives a lot of different options for use.

Beachbum

Bearcat
I really like the optic you have on that. I wanted to configure my Ranch Rifle the same way. What kind of rail is that? I assume it screws onto the integral scope mounts on the reciever.

QB

Single-Sixer
It's a Weigand rail. I got one for my Ruger PC9 and one for my mini. For the mini I had to file just a hair off the little nub underneath the rail for it to fit flush but that was easy (my mini is model #5819 if that matters). I love the way the rail connects to the integral scope mounts and the fact that the rail is just the right length. It is well worth the money as far as I am concerned. I bought a couple of ten dollar rails and they were too long and l didn't like the looks and didn't want to cut them. They didn't secure near as well as the Weigand rails.

Zadiex2

Bearcat
I have 2 mini-14s and I love to shoot them...............only drawbrack is the cost of factory magazines. Have a blast shooting that badboy 8)

QB

Single-Sixer
Here's a breakdown of the sling and sling attachments:

Rear sling attachment:
Universal Positive Retention Wrap (P.R.W.) Adapter 0-30, Black
Sling Retention Tab 0-32, Black
The only part needed for the rear sling attachment is the P.R.W. I installed in on both my Mini-14 and PC9 but it was a hair long and I didn't want to cut the end off. So I inserted an extra sling retention tab so that when the strap wrapped around it would have some extra "hoop and loop" to attach to and lay flat.
RearSlingAttachments.jpg

Without adding the extra little sling retention tab which is NOT a normal part for the rear attachment (the strap is a little long and sort of curled up...you could just cut it and seal the end I suppose)
RearSlingAttachmentLoose.jpg

With adding the extra little sling retention tab (does make the attachment a little "thicker" but the strap lays down flat)
frontslingattachmentfinal.jpg

Front Sling Attachment
You use two pieces if you have a sling attachment on your rifle for the extra little tab to go through.

Universal Positive Retention Wrap (P.R.W.) Adapter 0-30, Black
Sling Retention Tab 0-32, Black

RearSlingAttachments.jpg

You thread the sling retention tab onto the P.R.W.
frontslingattachment.jpg

You loop the sling retention tab through the sling attachment on your rifle
frontslingattachment2.jpg

Wrap the P.R.W. strap around the gun and secure it.
frontslingattachment1.jpg

frontslingattachment3.jpg

Here is the sling (comes in many colors). It had a strap that lets you cinch up the sling nice and tight and then just pull down on it to loosen and let you mount the gun. There are videos on the Urban E.R.T. website.

sling.jpg

slingadjustment.jpg

Mini-14 and PC9
BothRugerRifles.jpg