Finally! Got a 45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Of all the calibers I've wanted but don't have a 45 Colt was close to the top of the list. That problem finally solved itself in the form of a 7 1/2 inch Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Got it from the classified's here. I was just out back taking some pictures of it. It's overall in great shape. I know Ruger quality control isn't what people think it should be, but I'm happy. Well... not with the grips as you can see in the pictures. How terrible! My first step will be to order a set of good grips from somewhere...I'll have to send in the frame I think to get the best fit. But that's another post.

The grey box did NOT contain a fired case, and the serial number is from 2015, which I would expect since it's still early in the year. And all six cylinders have powder rings as they've been shot. And they didn't bother cleaning anything up either, just shoved it in the bag and into the box for shipping.

But the balance! Oh my, not too heavy, I think this is built on the mid frame Blackhawk if I've read correctly. The same frame as the 357. So it has great balance even with the long barrel. I was a little worried about that. I'm very happy with the barrel length, I'm sure it will be a great shooter.

here's the grip fit, straight from the box. Ruger should just sell guns without grips and charge less. Then customers can get a nice gun without seeing poor workmanship like this. In the second picture, you can see I changed out grips form some old walnut grips I have. They don't fit well either though.
qT7m2mdUF6e_X02Y7ODeQZEKczj5kSKUD0wkYIvjyU5vpSo908eK1TiZTbJ36yChKSwHiSBJKguX2jK3-xqX_r0w1zABQftsQ0rGMponodzl2D2OBdRbP3_CKdxxkFPntrJUALXK38LsMwIaeXHxgGgplCXmcrpCzgMFnyHPcPsXo1qKrUHHXaevw25dqL0h8Iw3sa5j2C_cCXwa7h1UoP3RNZHQSUfjYTnddiJcCnCOeJ_Zwyvw7pT_yNUn8xDGEUNQXwTUFLNwOrddBZoCDl3IBYOtBnxCPWkTxUc2r4OJQ9o8ACktDj8I5dCL4NI0B0nRZrGpxleNh5i1a__LvEBIRsHUpOH2da5Bj8Ti0wG8L4M1JuSKcxEh9j-oil3KYS90wdGDSGCkS1kuUsvwXRMj79jLvJuFVg-P0MtWfAyINLfS8GQ1mgFTjtUZjC_p50vjRPJPHx5For6ijDl0atGAE7v5lRWUGzXeZc4QnwaH-7O2MRp8b93EoT2KcdKmz55Emqw-XAKAyvPAkn1NENGT6nYWd1L7-Hcv-I2mSFyGpTfRkdByKD_F9aG0XErVFxXeGg=w709-h945-no

u8ih5rz5qyYGqs0vo1cEQFm9wfnuykbYpqy2EBBFKNroGufnvoyNwTLZhE-ZygaWFtgdU8KR4n_SX-B0IB_5JN6sytZAzDSFpK2_ntQPnGjj2so6J3lN5WwEygozcU3BiN37Gyy6y0P9GDZXzx4d8U7UeiR-yol_jWuxpVQ9HSKOBnIrwB8gNgSvO--lPkiAPQbHQkCUQlwdpYMj3WxdQk_uqNu-O9eFmX4jiI9ldYM5TwIfUda9xnrUhf6aBA9LNxciZKkdCF-a7XorOoMFw0yJbXOt_q4RCU6Wcj-mQasjKgWyCUvpCH9iG0LnF6_EnOk-1c11PkdJS2njKtP0Qf3VfOAx4Om7m3fcnC2GVwIs_RjFpORX73rh-6lHjthGDXiQ5WfxIQuTXc6LgC5G0w1GBgfP27cguy6Nq5K5XPwTq9-hjaV3Bt4Dxdz8KtPAGWIdSzBc7kyjFwqS8CrEqKu5JFcXzoPDVR4gvtClCCvUJ-u6MJeO1pnfwgggBZmL-FQzMpN4d08OCQ5W10TyUerkYvIrUzE36KuLs2CeglpZCbYtFppmfoObYnJYk89wlmB0tA=w1260-h945-no

lvfNl33ERV3c_D8eNwVGOdIlVEXOEu4cyByWsWtmdrXnDdCIENaj37YiXQr2nPSOhygZn1zfltQcvzSybmt7qDC9JxZZnKuHkmCZ_v3WROSwXcIL17q-MLBad-gZ17sy8pq9HK-4Cmhjd-yq1x0j0rTXfWOl8ZA8id7WY0uI9EFFwsiusIdeyTiDEuxGxt8ezW10IeaEtnos-kqhzW0AgIMy5c9ssRYlXjVSGiUBrYhdmTWtVaI9vSUyVj8rs6EmerVhXmZOv3AYjddPMqcZl_r0DMefi0bwN20BoYCk685HtZgcgj6J054iy_hY5X8frqewIf57BU55pm6gLTmLURmoQ2LvndIlHvMhQoQRNC9agixROCPUBzDAoUn8T0dYKI12m0NdcncWEHSErQMLDFi9Jz68dHfwmn1TG__U0Uv8vqCcud4f6Xnsn6O8ysgYMIke5Je4kCtSxVgJ_6T0DJhbPf5m3fM7vZSoKsb4TL1ygdsJJvg-el3plu4_Jw1csFils2gbhxNl7gcW7Oy2AuWBEwwT1BorV2tIJ8ynNiNgicy33rS1Vw3O1inHFtRgOFRaKg=w1260-h945-no

LfQz8cI15YH9vOqdr6pF3nE8nPn9cDeU0mk9YS69Xs4K7bU2A8J4JN6pbBH-V7_7JwOc4XXZskigeGUrv0SFi5mP8ex93hH4W7ocqYbwZLHjeku39FzdUOYJ0dDx0PGUX-flkGsGqn5Ye-RZ_8FlW2vEG7ZEZEfK6XmMX1pvGC8iMypuI6-fIJC-9oY0LksLre-97ZVYQ8a6YBW6F7dTqU30LEQZSOcw0QRp5H9NnyiAGY8xXB09VBmuj5MvyY-U53sRQdQZGN1NwF8Yg-voaZAhqWeSWAQaos72xEfqPWhCjDZHiYINfJ8wvrYVrT0Axo2iJwwy3FaAPTmJGb9OiOPMUAFBG2n39KxAJFRjnT1sdHeAwwrI_4DdZrfWT7J5DbT3YjVQr1yJrOmtcmlSQjvFo4udTsoufnl4wwcro00_w1kQ3FDIa2vskufw8j1pfXkCReVGNkqUd0Cj7xH0r4CuYyrY5Dft3CP-XYxjE5BHIIZFHT37wKmDcNMVSejUyCljsfZvevcgPEzxUl9a_h8vywqciW7-3MsE0ESyDyuNKBki_o1OqszI5qMSyT3QDukukQ=w1260-h945-no

veeman

Single-Sixer
Lookin good, brother. I have 3 45's now, OM, NM, and a Flattop. Love those Blackhawks. There are lots of grip makers out there. And always seems to be grips for sale here in the classified.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Ruger does not make the grips and they are not $200 + custom fitted as many folks believe Ruger should supply with their moderatly priced guns.
That said, the fit of your grips are not like all of them. Most are somewhat better fitting than your's. If you order grips from a maker without sending the grip frame in to allow fitting you probably will get a set that are no better fit than the set you have.

Oh I know... This Ruger was no where near what a Freedom Arms might cost. I expected to be buying new grips anyway. And the fit and tolerances of the rest of the gun are pretty good. Very good in fact. The edges are all sharp and the lines straight.

I love how the barrel warning is underneath now, to clean up the side profile. But here is a question, evidently this is a distributor exclusive from Williams Shooting Supply. Why aren't distributors who have "exclusive guns" allowed to opt out of the barrel warning? Like for example why not have Williams Shooting Supply written on the barrel instead of the warning? After all, the warnings are not required by law and I'm sure the distributors pay money to get a model designed for them.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
What I have found in regards to the poor grip fit is that the problem lies in the grip frame itself and not the grips. My opinion is that the grip locator pin is off somewhat and I think this is mainly a stainless grip frame issue.

KLNC

Single-Sixer
Maybe Ruger can be excused for something less than a perfect fit, but not for a fit like that. They need to do something to fix whatever the problem may be--that's just unacceptable.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Kevin,
That is the full size frame not a medium frame. Be careful I started with one Ruger .45colt and now have twelve all capable of the "Ruger Only" loads.
Enjoy that gun. :lol:

Dana

Rclark

Hunter
That is the full size frame not a medium frame.
Yep +1. And as said, one becomes two... Although I think I am finally saturated. Can't wear them all out in my lifetime... so. Good to go. Anyway, enjoy your new revolver. I bought custom grips for most of mine. Even have ordered 'over size' and sanded to fit.

Enigma

Hunter
Actually, those grips fit quite well compared to a gun that I own. And personally, I find all of the apologists for the poor grip fit of Ruger revolvers rather amusing. If Ruger is going to include grips with the gun, at least they should fit the bloody thing! So what if the majority of owners are going to replace them? Ruger pretty much insures that you'll have to - especially with their Bisley revolvers! 'Just massage the locating pin hole a little bit, and they'll fit better.' Why should I have to? If your new Ford/Chevy/Chrysler/Nissan/Toyota/Honda had doors that the owner had to adjust the fit on, would these same apologists excuse that? I don't think so.

Although I think I am finally saturated. Can't wear them all out in my lifetime..

I hear ya, and thinking about the recent thread by Bob Wright about the theme of your collection.... This doesn't really fit my theme, and I seriously doubt I'll wear it out. Well it's an investment too I suppose.

Chief

Single-Sixer
That is a very nice .45 Colt. I had, by you post title, expected a blue revolver but was pleasantly surprised to see one of those SS Williams models. My grips on my new .357 fit exactly as your's do. I don't fine them completely abhorrent but I like something a little more personal in the grip area, so they will be getting swapped out at some point. You have a very nice gun, enjoy it. A .45 Colt Blackhawk is on my short list also.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I had a 4/58" SBH that the grips were undersized all the way around. I ordered a new set and had the same issue. Pissed me off, so I got rid of the gun.
Ruger QC has gone to hell. When you crank up production, the first thing you lose is product quality. I've seen barrels on new Ruger BH's in .44 that look like the interior was finished with a rasp.
I take a set of pin gauges with me when I look at any new Ruger revolver. I've seen cylinder throats on new guns that are so oversized, you'd have to replace the cylinder for any hope of accuracy.
The worst examples I've seen are the recent SS flatops in .44spec.

If Ruger offered a $50 option, that would assure that a gun had properly fit and finished parts, I'd pay it, just to save on the aggravation of dealing with substandard workmanship.

I like Ruger firearms and own quite a few but this lack of QC is getting old.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
45Colt_Man said:
Kevin,
That is the full size frame not a medium frame. Be careful I started with one Ruger .45colt and now have twelve all capable of the "Ruger Only" loads.
Enjoy that gun. :lol:

Dana

Yep. One of the miss-marked .45 frames. The serial numbers begin with 38- (,357 mag) instead of the 48- of the .45. I have a 4-5/8" in blue. Nice gun Kevin. Enjoy! And start putting a little away for the next one. :wink:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
One option for those badly fitted grips is to make your own. IF you can handle a power drill, have access to some sanding drums or half round files and a DIY attitude, you can build some truly good grips. Brownell's sells the grip screw/escutcheon and a drill/countersink to make it's installation easy. There are probably videos on Utube that will guide you in locating the grip pin and making the 90 degree angle at the top and the rest is file and sandpaper work.

I've made better than a dozen for my Rugers over the years and it's a one day project. Tung oil or water based poly make a good finish that you'll be proud of. Here's the obligatory pic of a pair Ruger's. One with a pair of rosewood stocks, and the other with spalted poplar. The rosewood came from a friend, a bowmaker, and the poplar was from a piece of fencing here on our farm.

HTH's Rod