Fiber optic sight on a Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

superglider

Bearcat
I was at the range with my NM Blackhawk in 45 Colt the other day (having a great time with it, by the way), when the thought occurred to me, "this would be a great gun to have fiber optic sights on". Of course, Ruger hasn't chosen to make it easy on us with the Blackhawk - it doesn't have the same easily changeable front sight as does the Redhawk and the GP-100. I wonder why that is? Has anyone heard of any plans by Ruger to offer such a feature on the Blackhawk? I'm thinking it would be a natural.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, Ruger does offer a Hunter model that has interchangable front sights I believe. The Hunter has the raised rib on the barrel to where interchangable front sights is an option.
That said,, I do wish they would do the blued guns like the stainless ones with a pinned in front blade to where we could swap out different heights,, and maybe a few custom options.

superglider

Bearcat
contender":s5dmiq6m said:
Well, Ruger does offer a Hunter model that has interchangable front sights I believe. The Hunter has the raised rib on the barrel to where interchangable front sights is an option.
That said,, I do wish they would do the blued guns like the stainless ones with a pinned in front blade to where we could swap out different heights,, and maybe a few custom options.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Everything else about the gun is perfect as is - for me anyway. The only thing I would change is the addition of a set of fiber optic sights - just to help in low-light situations where it's just a little bit difficult for aging eyes to pick up all-black sights.

Not that I'm getting old, or anything... :wink:

COR

Blackhawk
For about $100 I had Gary Reeder put an interchangeable system with a set screw. I put it on a 5 1/2" SBH...He had Red, Green, and gold bead sight options and it works great for that last 1/2 hour in the woods in the evening. I use the gold bead for most everything now but the fiber optic is a great hunting sight. He has different heights available too.

superglider

Bearcat
COR":su5ud8tm said:
For about $100 I had Gary Reeder put an interchangeable system with a set screw. I put it on a 5 1/2" SBH...He had Red, Green, and gold bead sight options and it works great for that last 1/2 hour in the woods in the evening. I use the gold bead for most everything now but the fiber optic is a great hunting sight. He has different heights available too.

I may want to look into that - sounds like just what I want. How long did it take to get your gun back?

240gr&up

Bearcat
I've got HI-ViZ green Fiber front sights on my Blackhawk & SBH and I love them. They were about $34. each, and simply replace your front sight.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
The Hiviz is the easiest option but they make only one height and it comes i red or green.Green would be my choice.

I have the Weigand sight on a Redhawk and it is my favorite front sight.It takes Weigand blades,all the S+W "DX" blades plus some after market ones.This gives you blue ramp,blue partridge,gold bead,colored insert,fiber optic-you name it and all can be switched without tools.For single action,it does have to be soldered on.

COR

Blackhawk
superglider":3kah9ugf said:
COR":3kah9ugf said:

I may want to look into that - sounds like just what I want. How long did it take to get your gun back?

Back in 3 weeks about 4 years ago. I also had it vapor honed and an action job and grip mod.

Here is a quick pic I took a little while ago.

3ff40479.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's a fairly simple task for a machinist to carve off the original blade and plunge cut a 1/8" slot in the base....

JMHO,

flatgate