Factory Muzzle Brake MK I ~~~ It Letters....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
It's great it letters as having shipped with the muzzle brake. However,, I'm guessing it didn't ship with the rib,,,!
Still, a VERY cool gun!

chet15

Hawkeye
contender":1bzrv1fd said:
It's great it letters as having shipped with the muzzle brake. However,, I'm guessing it didn't ship with the rib,,,!
Still, a VERY cool gun!

Well, if gizamo wanted to research it even deeper, the original invoice (if it still exists) will have on it whether or not the gun had an attached rib or not...and even if it doesn't, Ruger's price to a distributor for just gun and muzzle brake was $39.12 with excise tax included. This price was the same from August 1, 1955 to January 2, 1966, assuming the gun was shipped between those two dates.
Chet15

A

Anonymous

Chet

The gun shipped in May of 1964. Rugers invoice on the gun indicated that the muzzle brake was factory installed and shipped on the gun.... :)

Makes me wonder if it is the same gun mentioned by Chet15 in the '64 Gun Digest????

No mention is made of the rib on the invoice.

giz

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I don't think I have seen a "factory" installed brake. The gun won't fit in the box with it on. I have a gun that the brake (with its own box) was in the box but not installed. "EDIT" Sorry Chad didn't see you post.

A

Anonymous

mohavesam

The rib is marked "Simmons Gun Specialties, Inc. Kansas City, MO"

When I saw the abbreviated Missouri ~ that threw me.... I had to go and look up when the Post Office made the changeover. The modern two-letter abbreviated codes for the states and territories originated during the Post Office's switch to ZIP codes in 1963. The purpose was to make room for the ZIP codes in the address, rather than to standardize state abbreviations per se

I understand the issue of the brake being installed and shipped. I'm going with what Ruger records is saying. It was on the gun when it went to distribution...When I called them back yesterday, I asked them to recheck the invoice. Again, they say it was on the gun when it shipped. And will mention that in the letter.

So, I don't know how to respond to the whole not fitting in the box issue... :?

giz

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
We need to consider the possibility that this individual firearm was shipped in a relabeled long(er) barreled single action handgun two pc. box. Second, the Simmons logo on the edge of the rib, answers my earlier post on who may have done this work.......... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Yesterday, I had the good fortune to speak to Gil Hebard on the telephone. He was a Ruger distributer at the time. He tells me that they did indeed buy guns and ship them to for the rib installation. He is sending me some photocopies of the Gun Digest from 1964 that mentions the type of gun we are discussing. He is not sure if my gun is one that he had the conversion done on. He had his secretary take my guns SN and will have her call Ruger Records.

Ruger cannot release a copy of the invoice to me. But if it was one of the guns that Gil purchased, he can obtain a copy. Long shot, and neither of us are very hopeful...but I truly enjoyed having the opportunity to talk with him ~ seems like a true older gentleman ~ willng to help a fellow gun guy.... :)

giz

A

Anonymous

Well, Good News...

Cathy frome Gil Hebards contacted Ruger records this morning. My gun indeed was shipped to them on May 21st, 1964, with the factory muzzlebrake installed. They, in turn, shipped the gun to Simmons to have the barrel rib installed. It was then returned to Hebard's.

Cathy has requested a copy of the Distributer invoice from Ruger and will forward that to me when it arrives. :D

giz

chet15

Hawkeye
You've now got some great documentation with that gun! Now you need a copy of that Gun Digest to go with it.
Will be very interested to see the copy of the invoice when you get it. A T678 with muzzle brake installed will not fit in a box meant to ship the 6-7/8" auto. If that invoice actually says "installed on gun", then I guess you have another thought there that would be new to Ruger collecting.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, a T678 with installed muzzle brake will fit in a longer box :shock: Too bad you don't have the box for that gun (chet 15 here with dreams of BKH-30, BKH-40 or Hawkeye boxes, and T678 labels on the end). Maybe the person you got it from can do a little more checking in their closet, or on their tool bench?
Chet15

A

Anonymous

Gil Hebard came through in Spades. He sent me a 1964 catalog of his guns. Size of a small paperback book. Full of interesting articles on shooting accurately. Something I've never seen before. Dang, I like the book for it's one-of-a-kind content. Going to be a great read.

He shows my gun on one of the pages. He also photocopied a picture of it that was used in the 1964 Gun Digest.

What a wonderful man. He definitely did me proud... :)

giz