Ejector Housing length reduction.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Maybe I am a late comer but I needed a Stainless 3" Ejector housing for a project on a Baby 32 Vaquero and Brownells does not sell them, Midway ( which I dislike buying from ) was a special order only, and a call to Ruger and they wanted my name rank and the baby's serial number.
Which I was cutting the barrel down on.
After posting on this forum a WTB with no results I studied the longer housing I had in hand and in less than 10 minutes I had an arbor made and it chucked up in my little lathe and was reducing its length.
This is how I did it.
A length of 5/16" TGP rod. reduced a portion that travels thru the center of the housing to .253 odd. snug fit, I then threaded one end to 1/" X20 TPI, installed the housing with a mark on where I wanted to reduce it, locked it down with a lock nut and turn it to the proper length and afterwards cut off the portion that was too long and WAL-LA, didn't need one after all.
Now to get another Colt Crescent thumb piece made.
See pictures, maybe there is an easier way, I am just slow to the game.
Ron
20170415_160915.jpg

20170415_160907.jpg

20170415_174018.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ronniet,

Very nice work. Can't tell you how many I've turned down. Ruger doesn't make the lengths I wind up needing.

I use the full size Colt rods on mid and large frames and have lately switched to the Colt 22 Peacemaker/New Frontier ejector rod, an exact miniature of the large one, but more in proportion to the 32 small frame.

Not the 22 Scout rod; it's pot metal.

But I sure don't make them from scratch like you can.