Early Colt Police Positive Target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sometimes at the smallest gun shows you find the neatest guns. This one was born the same year as my Grandmother, 1910. With a serial number of 146 it is also one of the first produced. It is in very nice condition for it's age. Bluing an easy 90%, but closer to 95% and original. The rifling is sharp and the bore bright, like new. The grips are perfect. Just a nice early Colt Police Positive Target chambered in 22 WRF. I will shoot this revolver this week. Can't wait! :D

Dave

That is a cool old gun Dave! I had to read the post twice to confirm the serial number on that old Colt. 146 is the same serial number on the early triple lock I found a few months ago! Let me know if you ever decide to move it down the road.

Robb

Neat gun, neat pix!

Those were surprisingly popular guns back in the day; not as rare as you'd think. Mine was made in 1922 and is in about the same condition as yours. Very accurate with recent .22 WRFs, although I don't shoot it often because ctgs. are hard to find and it "deserves a rest" anyway.

Most of these that I've seen were very worn from carrying, I think because many outdoorsmen, foresters, ranchers and trappers liked them for "targets of opportunity" while out working, so carried them a lot. They just weren't bought for target shooting, or at least the "targets" were mostly grouse/bunny/squirrel heads and treed 'cats and coons.

Most I've examined had great internal condition tho--anybody with the money and knowledge to buy a Colt ".22 Special" in those days took good care of it!

The WRF, or .22 Special as it was often called, was considerably more lethal than early .22 LRs, either from a rifle or, especially, from a handgun. Faster, heavier, and with a big flat point.

Robb Barnes said:
That is a cool old gun Dave! I had to read the post twice to confirm the serial number on that old Colt. 146 is the same serial number on the early triple lock I found a few months ago! Let me know if you ever decide to move it down the road.

Robb

Robb, quite a coincidence with the serial numbers. If I decide to move this gun I will let you know first. Take care!

Dave

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
The swoop of that Bisley curve grip gives it a unique and distinctive character, how does it feel in hand on the range?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Heliman.... thank you for a look at your fine Colt. By chance are the trigger, hammer spur, and backstrap checkered? If so, would you post photos? Is the elevation adjustable front sight a square post or bead. If it is a bead, is there, or was there, an ivory insert? To be sure, this is a vintage Colt.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw said:
Heliman.... thank you for a look at your fine Colt. By chance are the trigger, hammer spur, and backstrap checkered? If so, would you post photos? Is the elevation adjustable front sight a square post or bead. If it is a bead, is there, or was there, an ivory insert? To be sure, this is a vintage Colt.
David Bradshaw

David, the trigger is smooth, the hammer checkered, and the front sight is square post rounded at the top. The back strap is not checkered. I removed the grips and they are numbered to the gun, "146". The little revolver shoots great. I am an average hand gun shooter at best, but was able to shoot a 1 1/2" group at I believe 50 feet. Some more pics.....

Dave